PDA

View Full Version : Lead in Europe

Idz
06-01-2017, 04:03 AM
While on a recent trip to greenie, and anti-gun London and Paris I gazed out the window of our upper floor flats and saw a sea of lead sheeting! Almost all the roof and windows were flashed with that evil, deadly lead. It would be a casters paradise if not for politicians.

bullet maker 57
06-01-2017, 06:33 AM
I saw the same thing when the wife and I were in Ireland. All I could think about was "look at all the boolits on the roofs".

Oklahoma Rebel
06-01-2017, 11:17 AM
black pants,shirt, and ski mask, check! small flat crowbar, tinsnips, and a look out? check. alright good to go, walk softly!

Bigslug
06-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Many years ago, I read an account of a medieval cathedral that caught fire and burned. It warn't rain that was pourin' out the gutters! Hold out your coffee cup! :cbpour:

Col4570
06-02-2017, 12:38 AM
Yes we are very fortunate here,there is no shortage of Lead.In fact my casting is cost free apart from the electricity used which is minimal.Even when at the Tyre Shop and asking for used Wheelweights I am told to help myself.We might say it is in fact a casters paradise and long may it last.

Oklahoma Rebel
06-02-2017, 01:56 PM
I would have a good stockpile just in case it goes the way it is going here

lightman
06-03-2017, 09:45 AM
I spent a big part of my working life in a bucket truck. You might be a caster if you can spot lead flashing and lead roof jacks from the air!

lightman
06-03-2017, 09:47 AM
I would have a good stockpile just in case it goes the way it is going here

That is a very good suggestion! Lead was free or cheap, and plentiful here at one time too!

Col4570
06-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Yes I keep a good stock,it is amazing how much Lead is shot down range over the years.I have cut up Lead Flashing,Pipe,Sash Window Weights, Range Lead and Wheel Weights.

Petrol & Powder
06-03-2017, 02:10 PM
A few years ago the roof on Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's house) was replaced. It was predominately lead with some copper and tin. Somehow I missed out on that scrap metal sale. Oh well, maybe in another 200 years that "new" roof will need to be replaced.

Oklahoma Rebel
06-04-2017, 03:19 PM
so what is allowed in the way of guns and shooting there? because you cast so I would assume you have a gune to use it in, lol and is it really just a rich mans sport?

johnho
06-04-2017, 03:39 PM
You mean the greenies over here are making a stink over lead in our berms contaminating water and the these Europeans are using it on their roofs to contaminate there water? Well that makes a lot of sense.

Idz
06-04-2017, 03:47 PM
It's stranger than you think. In Paris they have all these old lead covered buildings but they had to change the paint on the Eiffel tower because it had lead in it so it was bad. Huh?

Col4570
06-04-2017, 05:43 PM
so what is allowed in the way of guns and shooting there? because you cast so I would assume you have a gune to use it in, lol and is it really just a rich mans sport?
Been shooting today (clay shooting).Most Sundays I am at the range,I have a Sharps 45.70 Rifle,a Mauser Single Shot in 45.70,A 32.40 Martini,A Three Band Enfield,Two Original Whitworth Rifles,(.451 and .565),Three Kentucky Flintlock Rifles (.562,.500,.45),A 50 Cal Percussion Rifle.No it is not a Rich Mans Sport since some I have made or Modified and others I have bought over the Years.We have a good cross section of shooters from all Backgrounds,i do not Know any Rich Men.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/Cabinet%20001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/Cabinet%20001.jpg.html)P S a 50.70 Remington Rolling Block Rifle,Lots of Casting for that lot.My type of Shooting is alive and well in my country.

slim1836
06-04-2017, 06:42 PM
I sure hope you protect the crowns of those rifles.

Slim

Col4570
06-05-2017, 02:04 AM
Yes Slim,They are standing on Felt,I always store them that way to avoid Oil entering the Stocks.
Regards.

JMax
06-05-2017, 08:58 AM
I am fascinated how our politicians in the US get the vapors and flop around on the ground at the very mention of lead while the Europeans have tons of it on their roofs and accept it as normal, go figure.

Toymaker
06-05-2017, 09:03 AM
A few years ago the roof on Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's house) was replaced. It was predominately lead with some copper and tin. Somehow I missed out on that scrap metal sale. Oh well, maybe in another 200 years that "new" roof will need to be replaced.

The architect who oversaw that project did the Octagon House in Washington, DC before Monticello. English lead, English leadsmiths, new roof, gutters, downspouts ........... I DIDN'T miss out on the scrap. They needed a very expensive Hazardous Material permit to dispose of the scrap and didn't have one. A friend and I made it disappear for $50. Six pickup truck loads.

sukivel
06-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Col4570, What country are u in? I'm guessing you need various licensing or permits. Hard to get for the 'allowable' type of gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Col4570
06-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Col4570, What country are u in? I'm guessing you need various licensing or permits. Hard to get for the 'allowable' type of gun?

England,We have Shotgun Certificates and Firearms Certificates.Modern Hand guns are banned but Black powder Pistols are allowed.Like many others here I spend a lot of time shooting,there are thousands of shooters here using Bolt Action,Falling Block Rifles etc.Automatic rifles are Banned,Under Lever Rifle are allowed.22 Auto rifles are allowed.303,762,243,30.30 are common calibres.In order to own Firearms you must be a member of a Rifle Club,this does not apply to Shotguns.Home security cannot be a reason to own Firearms.Hope this explains the situation here.Regards.

06-06-2017, 09:43 AM
We have a dose of that same kind of "logic" over here, not exactly the same but it rings a familiar note. The most widely available and efficient form of self-defense, a firearm, can't be had for just self-defense. In some of our jurisdictions, the handgun carry applications require notation on intended purpose. Hunting, target practice, or self protection. Many jurisdictions don't, but some still do. To one of our political sides, it's more righteous to be a victim than a survivor.

sukivel
06-06-2017, 01:58 PM
We have a dose of that same kind of "logic" over here, not exactly the same but it rings a familiar note. The most widely available and efficient form of self-defense, a firearm, can't be had for just self-defense. In some of our jurisdictions, the handgun carry applications require notation on intended purpose. Hunting, target practice, or self protection. Many jurisdictions don't, but some still do. To one of our political sides, it's more righteous to be a victim than a survivor.

Where's "over here"?

Yeah I typically believe in zero gun restrictions, but my favorite guns to shoot would probably be legal most places...

fredj338
06-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Yes we are very fortunate here,there is no shortage of Lead.In fact my casting is cost free apart from the electricity used which is minimal.Even when at the Tyre Shop and asking for used Wheelweights I am told to help myself.We might say it is in fact a casters paradise and long may it last.

Yet there is that whole personal gun ownership ban there. :holysheep

Col4570
06-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Yet there is that whole personal gun ownership ban there.
Scroll back to Item 14 You will see that shooting is still well and alive.Modern Handguns are banned,Auto Rifles are banned.Bolt action Rifles,Falling Block Rifles etc are allowed in all calibres.Black Powder Revolvers and Pistols are allowed.

Oklahoma Rebel
06-08-2017, 11:01 PM
still, the thought of being told I cant have a certain type of gun, even fully automatic, really gets me fuming, especially being a law abiding citizen. I even think that felons should be able to have some sort of hearing with a judge to decide if they can still own firearms, sex offenders and violent offenders I understand not letting them own firearms.

Bigslug
06-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Now. . .how cool would it be to exercise your Second Amendment rights with lead from the roof of a guy that helped write it?

OS OK
06-18-2017, 01:11 AM
Col...do you have to keep those in an armory and not at your residence?