PDA

View Full Version : Long range with peep sights

54bore
05-31-2017, 01:55 AM
This is an old video of Dave Gullo, owner of Buffalo Arms shooting a steel Buffalo at long range. I am not sure the distance but im thinking 1000 yards? I will ask him the next time i see him. He is using a cartridge rifle here, stil neat to see with open sights. I'll challenge him with my little .45 Hotrod Hawken!

https://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

54bore
05-31-2017, 01:58 AM
But only if he will shoot a sidelock like i am!

Boz330
05-31-2017, 08:54 AM

Don't kid yourself Dave can do it. He has been on the Long Range Muzzle Loading team for a number of years and they shoot out to 1000yd in International competition. Locally we have a 1200yd match for ML at Camp Atterbury. My best friend won that match every year up till he died of cancer in 2014. He also bested Dave on several occasions in competition as well.

Bob

54bore
05-31-2017, 08:59 AM
Don't kid yourself Dave can do it. He has been on the Long Range Muzzle Loading team for a number of years and they shoot out to 1000yd in International competition. Locally we have a 1200yd match for ML at Camp Atterbury. My best friend won that match every year up till he died of cancer in 2014. He also bested Dave on several occasions in competition as well.

Bob

I know he is, ive seen some of his Plaques, i live about 30 minutes from him, I've talked to him MANY times. I am a VERY regular customer at Buffalo Arms, i am fortunate to have that place in my backyard

54bore
05-31-2017, 09:01 AM

Bob

Lee Shavers is right up there in the tip top as well

Boz330
05-31-2017, 09:25 AM
Lee Shavers is right up there in the tip top as well
Yes he is and a true gentleman as well. I have shot against Lee but not Dave. I met him in 2015 at the ML world meet in NC. I was there as a range officer, not shooter.
I did beat Lee at the Oak Ridge match this year and was tickled with that performance because I'm not that good. I think that it does show that I'm getting better and learning to dope the wind, which always seems prevalent at Oak Ridge.
I couldn't afford to live close Buffalo Arms, being across the country keeps my spending within limit

Bob

54bore
05-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Yes he is and a true gentleman as well. I have shot against Lee but not Dave. I met him in 2015 at the ML world meet in NC. I was there as a range officer, not shooter.
I did beat Lee at the Oak Ridge match this year and was tickled with that performance because I'm not that good. I think that it does show that I'm getting better and learning to dope the wind, which always seems prevalent at Oak Ridge.
I couldn't afford to live close Buffalo Arms, being across the country keeps my spending within limit

Bob

One of these days i hope to attend one of these shoots, be it a spectator or a shooter. So far my interest has not traveled into the cartridge guns, I'm sure it could easily enough though

Boz330
05-31-2017, 12:26 PM
One of these days i hope to attend one of these shoots, be it a spectator or a shooter. So far my interest has not traveled into the cartridge guns, I'm sure it could easily enough though

Oak Ridge is a ML only match and quite a bit of fun. Everything is geared making it as easy as possible for a novice. It is a long way from ID though and at a time of year when the weather can be dicey. Personally I like BPCR more than the ML but both are fun and the ballistics are pretty much the same, just less work for an old guy.

Bob

waksupi
05-31-2017, 03:18 PM

Better pack a lunch if you are going to shoot against Dave with a side lock. He's no stranger to the animal.

54bore
05-31-2017, 10:05 PM
Better pack a lunch if you are going to shoot against Dave with a side lock. He's no stranger to the animal.

The ole boy definitely knows a bit about this stuff, He is a nice guy and very helpful the times i see him at his business.

koger
06-01-2017, 12:47 AM
I have a .45 ML, sidehammer, that shoots great out to 500yds, 1-20 or 1-18 twist, I shoot a 430 and 500grain slug, 5 grease grooves, 90grs 2ffg black, fiber wad, under the slug. loads easily, and is a hammer! I have the old TC vernier type rear sight, mid range, and Lee Shaver front, with inserts, very fine steel hair is my front. It still has a ton of elevation left. The barrel I got in a trade at Frienship, two barrels, sold the one for what I had in both, and got the curly maple blank out of the dumpster at friendship! Lock, triggers, trigger guard and buttplate, my labor, was all I had in it. It shoots a ragged hole at 100, keeps them all touching at 200, with these sights.

54bore
06-01-2017, 06:43 AM
I have a .45 ML, sidehammer, that shoots great out to 500yds, 1-20 or 1-18 twist, I shoot a 430 and 500grain slug, 5 grease grooves, 90grs 2ffg black, fiber wad, under the slug. loads easily, and is a hammer! I have the old TC vernier type rear sight, mid range, and Lee Shaver front, with inserts, very fine steel hair is my front. It still has a ton of elevation left. The barrel I got in a trade at Frienship, two barrels, sold the one for what I had in both, and got the curly maple blank out of the dumpster at friendship! Lock, triggers, trigger guard and buttplate, my labor, was all I had in it. It shoots a ragged hole at 100, keeps them all touching at 200, with these sights.

Koger, I wish i had went with a nice Vernier Peep on my .45 Hawken. I can't get any farther than 500 yards with the Williams FP Hawken that i have on it now, With a nice Vernier i could push the envelope farther. Buffalo sells them, they can fetch a HIGH dollar, kelley soule etc.

I stil might end up getting a Vernier

Good Cheer
06-01-2017, 06:58 AM
Finding one that's good for close and far is the problem I ran into with the .40 GPR.
Never found my Goldilocks sight.

54bore
06-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Finding one that's good for close and far is the problem I ran into with the .40 GPR.
Never found my Goldilocks sight.

My interest would be getting WAAAAAY out there, i would love to try 1000 yards with Peep sights