PDA

View Full Version : What is current best practice

Flatliner
05-30-2017, 12:16 PM
All, I have been reading through large volumes of threads and done multiple searches and am more confused than ever. I have the Lee TL309-230-5R and am beginning casting for my 300 Blackout. The goal is a cheap plinking round.

With HF powder, what would be the current best practice? Standing these up and spraying them isn't an option obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grmps
05-30-2017, 12:32 PM
for a practice round, I would dry tumble in a #5 container with Black BB's, drop in a colander with holes large enough for the bb's for fall through and shake off all the excess powder. dump them into a wire basket or baking screen and bake for 12 min in a 400* preheated oven. If using HF powder, red is the best, but I would suggest getting a better powder to make life easier and save headaches. Randy rat has a good powder at a low price, smoke has a large selection of tested colors and BB's

HABCAN
05-30-2017, 01:43 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!

Flatliner
05-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Do you have any links to Randy or Smoke. If not, I will hunt it down

Grmps
05-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Click on forums, scroll down and click on vendor/sponsor, then find Randy rat or smoke###

dbosman
05-30-2017, 06:23 PM
I agree with the advice to go with better quality powder. HF powder started many of us, but it's made for their spray gun and made like many of their tools. OK, but...

Flatliner
05-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Thanks all. I will do

Walter Laich
05-31-2017, 04:24 PM
I've used paper picnic bowls with holes in the bottom to separate the BBs and bullets. That works too

LAGS
06-01-2017, 07:24 PM
I have that mold and am casting them for other calibers for some testing.
I just have washers set on my Spraying tray that stabilizes them when I spray them.
And I transfer them to the baking tray that has washers on it too ,but is not sprayed full of PC
And I have a baking tray made up for these boolits that I drilled holes in a piece of 1/8 " steel plate, and then I set it on the baking tray spaced up off the tray about 1/8"
I spray that baking plate with Pam Cooking spray to keep the boolits from sticking to it so much before I transfer the Boolits to it
With a plate like that, I also spray the boolits Nose down.
The Bare tip never will hit the barrel and makes the boolits look like a Soft Point J bullet.
So spraying is still an option.
But the washers or trays with the holes keeps them standing up while baking if you choose to Shake and Bake

Jr.
06-01-2017, 08:25 PM
I have that mold and am casting them for other calibers for some testing.
I just have washers set on my Spraying tray that stabilizes them when I spray them.
And I transfer them to the baking tray that has washers on it too ,but is not sprayed full of PC
And I have a baking tray made up for these boolits that I drilled holes in a piece of 1/8 " steel plate, and then I set it on the baking tray spaced up off the tray about 1/8"
I spray that baking plate with Pam Cooking spray to keep the boolits from sticking to it so much before I transfer the Boolits to it
With a plate like that, I also spray the boolits Nose down.
The Bare tip never will hit the barrel and makes the boolits look like a Soft Point J bullet.
So spraying is still an option.
But the washers or trays with the holes keeps them standing up while baking if you choose to Shake and Bake

Something similar to this is the perfered option for me even if you tumble coat them with the cool whip bowl and black air soft bbs. In my opinion it helps prevent flashing on the boolits providing a smoother coat.

Best advice I got when I started was to start. You will get a good idea of what it is like and learn more of what you are reading as you begin.

Flatliner
06-03-2017, 05:51 AM
Follow on question. What powder through expander for a Dillon will bell the case mouth enough for a .311 sized bullet?