PDA

View Full Version : Kicking around an idea

Lead melter
07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Thinking about building a side-hammer frontstuffer. Does anyone have a line on the quality of the common kits along with Triple7 use and caliber suggestions?

May never hunt with it, but they sure are pretty.

mooman76
07-20-2008, 09:23 PM
The quality of the kits have vastly improved over the past few decades. There's an artical on building a Traditions hawkins rifle in 50 cal in the September "Shooting" rag. He says it is not near top of the line (under $300)but still a very sound and safe and well designed kit with allot of improvments from over the years. I would personally build one of the cheaper ones first and then maybe upgrade to a better one if all turned out good and I felt I needed a better one. 50 caliber is one of you more popular cal. especially for hunting. I would go smaller than that if you don't want to hunt with it. I can't comment on 777 to much. I have only used it a little but is a reasonably good powder. It has a little more power than your basic BP substitute so you use a little less to get the same job done.

randyrat
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Mark, Don't go with a 45 they are touchy and picky. My 2 cents go 50 cal or bigger

flintlocknfur
07-21-2008, 02:35 AM
For me the only choice for a drop in KIt would be the Lymans plains rifle. Good components (In percussion) metal is 90% finished adn the wood needs littel work. I usually shave quite a bit off though. .50 or 54

If you want a smoothie, call matt dennison at NSW, his are pretty drop in, theres not much to a trade gun anyway....

07-21-2008, 08:13 AM
It's a hike from the Carolina's, but this weekend coming up 24-25-26 July is the muzzleloader's maker's fair in Kempton,Pa. The sponsor is Dixon's muzzleloader's shop and do they ever have ML stuff. Huge shop, lots of stuff and advise. Might be a busy time to call them now, but after the dust settles next week or so, they would have some well founded coments on what kit / system is available. They have a web site. Check 'em out. Nice people.

northmn
07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
777 does not work well in flintlocks so a NW gun is kind of out. The Lyman Plains Rifle or trade rifle are about the best buy for the money and easiest to assemble. From there depending on you desire to spend and abilities you cn go to a variety of kits from Chambers or Track of the Wolf. A lot of Folks like Jim Chambers kits. Look under Jim chambers muzzleloaders on the web. I just bought 5 lbs of black powder delivered for about $85 from Grafs. 5lbs of 777 would currently run over $125. I really do not like 777 in my traditional guns as it gives more hangfires and is not as accurate.

Northmn