PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Loading For S&W Shield

alamogunr
05-30-2017, 11:41 AM
I just bought 2 S&W 9mm Shield pistols with the intention of giving them to my sons for the daughters-in-law. I am going to break them in first but ran into stiff magazine springs. I can't for the life of me get the last cartridge in.

In another thread, the Maglula(sp?) magazine loader was mentioned. I had never heard of it before and had to Google it. Somewhat pricey! What say those who have used it?

jcren
05-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Only mag loaded worth buying.

XDROB
05-30-2017, 12:01 PM
I bought one to help load a Springfield XDs 5 rnd mag. Now I use it to load every pistol, it's just that easy to use. Not for 22lr though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lefty Red
05-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Only mag loaded worth buying.

Well worth it!!!

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35remington
05-30-2017, 02:58 PM
If going through only fifty rounds or so I get by without a loader, but extended shooting and reloading magazines does get old. If you like to shoot a lot get the load assist gizmos for sure.

scattershot
05-30-2017, 03:01 PM
They are worth twice the asking price if you load a lot of mags.

farmerjim
05-30-2017, 03:07 PM
I use one for my M&P 9. Works great, much faster than hand. Your thumbs don't hurt after 2 mags.

Artful
05-30-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm happy with mine.

FlyfishermanMike
05-30-2017, 07:37 PM
It's a must have! It's perfect for your situation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KYCaster
05-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Don't leave home without it!

Jerry

alamogunr
05-30-2017, 11:25 PM
I ordered a couple today from Amazon. Those points come in handy. Thanks for all the recommendations. Now I'll have a loader to go with each pistol.

Catshooter
05-31-2017, 01:30 AM
Some Glock magazines are incredibly stiff also. A well known fix is to load them up fully and leave them that way. After a while they will ease up a bit.

Cat

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2017, 07:17 AM
buy the maglula it makes loading them a piece of cake.

robertbank
05-31-2017, 11:40 AM
The M&P FS mags suffer from followers that bottom out on the springs at or before the last round is loaded. The only cure I know of is to remove the follower and Dremel down the bottom of the followers to reduce the depth. I have had to do that with every M&P mag I have that came with the dull paint covering. The original blued mags had different followers and worked fine. I am not sure if Smith has resolved this issue with their suppliers or not. It doesn't sound like they have. S&W certainly has heard enough complaints about the mags to have reacted to the problem.

Take Care

Bob

alamogunr
05-31-2017, 02:06 PM
The M&P FS mags suffer from followers that bottom out on the springs at or before the last round is loaded. The only cure I know of is to remove the follower and Dremel down the bottom of the followers to reduce the depth. I have had to do that with every M&P mag I have that came with the dull paint covering. The original blued mags had different followers and worked fine. I am not sure if Smith has resolved this issue with their suppliers or not. It doesn't sound like they have. S&W certainly has heard enough complaints about the mags to have reacted to the problem.

Take Care

Bob

Are you saying that the last round may not go in even using the loader?

Mytmousemalibu
05-31-2017, 02:29 PM
All of mine hold the specified amount of rounds right from the box, no mods but the last one is snug.

The Maglula is the best thing since sliced bread. I end up loading lots of mags over and over as a competitive shooter. Most of those have a 170mm extension that adds +10 rounds. My thumbs and fingers would be chewed to bits without the Maglula. Once you get one you'll wonder how you've lived without it.

robertbank
05-31-2017, 02:30 PM
Are you saying that the last round may not go in even using the loader?

I had one mag you could not have loaded the last round with a shoe horn aided by a hammer. The followers bottom out on the springs so just using the mags is not going to do anything. You simply have to reduce the depth of the follower by shaving off material from the bottom of the follower. We are stuck with 10 rd mags so you folks may not see it with the FS 17 rd mags. The 10 rounders have the same springs in them as the 17 rd mags. I suspect the issue is arising with the Shield the same way as it does for the 10 rd mags.

Easy way to find out is to remove some material from the bottom of the followers and see if it helps. I think the OP will find it should fix the issue.

Bob

Rick Hodges
05-31-2017, 03:26 PM
I have the 40 Shield and 4 magazines....all are a bugger to load, all load fully and easily with the maglula. It is worth every penny.

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2017, 05:31 AM
all my shield mags can be loaded with the last round. Its sure a bear by hand though.

Moonie
06-04-2017, 06:58 PM
I really like them, so much I bought a second.

alamogunr
06-04-2017, 07:24 PM
The two that I ordered came in and the last rounds load almost as easy as the first. I will have to check my loading procedure because the spacer on the 7 rounders is displaced while loading. Not a problem since it snaps back into place.

I appreciate all the recommendations. These will come in handy with my Glock magazines too.