PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-30-2017, 06:39 AM
So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

—1 Corinthians 3:7

It can be discouraging when you talk to people about Christ and no one listens to you. Maybe you’ve tried to share the gospel with family members, and they don’t respond. Sometimes you feel like saying, “Just forget about it. If they don’t want to hear what I have to say, then I won’t tell anyone.”

A farmer can be discouraged after he plants a crop and a storm uproots all the seed, or when a drought comes and the crop doesn’t take root. But then when he has a bumper crop, it is all worth it, and he plants again.

In the same way, we can tell and tell and tell people about Jesus Christ, and nothing seems to happen. Then one day, one person gets it, and he or she believes. Then we see the joy of someone coming to faith.

Jesus said there is joy in Heaven over one sinner who comes to repentance (see Luke 15:7). We are told in Psalm 126:5, “Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy.”

God is the one who saves people, not us. I know this seems rather obvious, but frankly, sometimes we forget it. God will prepare a person’s heart to hear and receive the gospel. As Jesus said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father” (John 6:65).

Conversion is not something we do. It is not something we bring about through our persuasive words or clever arguments. The Lord must prepare the heart of the person we are speaking to. Sometimes we’ll sow a little seed of the gospel, and other times we’ll have the privilege of reaping where others have sown and watered. But it is God who does the work of conversion.

USMC87
05-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Oh yes Salvation all of God bringing who He will, Amen!

square butte
05-30-2017, 07:50 AM
Good lesson - Thank you Lord - and thank you rl69

Boaz
05-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Good daily reminder ! Thank you .

Blackwater
05-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Such a great post! Billy Graham is often credited with "saving" more folks than anyone we know of. But I am sure Billy would accept NO credit for saving ANYONE! He'd forcefully and without doubt attribute ALL credit to the Lord Jesus Christ. He has always been such a humble man. Forceful, and full of the power Christ gives him, but still, humble in and of his own self. He knows where the power comes from, and desires none of it for himself. What a great man and witness he is! A model for all the rest of us!

And that's simply the way it truly is. I've had some folks thank me for "helping" them. I made VERY sure they knew that all I'd done was simply pass on the things that others had passed on to me, and that ALL credit for ANY decision they made was due to ONLY them, their own selves! I wouldn't be taking the blame if they messed up later, so I sure as shootin' couldn't take credit if they did something good! And that's simply the way it is, and always has been, and always will be.

Sure, if we put forth good effort, and succeed, then we'll one day be rewarded for that, but we'll NEVER get credit for what others do unless we ALSO get the blame if they do something bad! How else COULD it be, really???

Many seek to glean laurels and honors unto themselves. I think this is a mistake. I believe all honors go to God, and NOT to any of us, even if we do something very good for someone who's been very difficult to reach. That's just my view, and it's not the last word on anything. But it sure has served me well to understand much of the scriptures, and about our Lord's will for us, and the honors rightly due Him, and NOT to us. FWIW?

Ickisrulz
05-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Speaking of Billy Graham, I was wondering if he was still alive. I hadn't heard of his death and I know he is quite old.

I ran his name with Google and when he came up on the right hand side of the results page his net worth is given along with his age and other facts. This is pretty unusual for a Google synopsis unless someone is know for being wealthy. I wonder why this is? I guess someone is suggesting he evangelized for the money?

Blackwater
05-31-2017, 09:31 PM
Yes, he's living on a mountain top in NC, and he's over 90 now, IIRC, and failing in some ways, but he's still the Billy Graham we've always known. He doesn't preach any more, and his son and daughter have taken over as best as they're able, and both are wonderful people who do a tremendous lot of good. God has granted Billy a very long life, full of challenges and promise. And Billy's done as good a job as I think any of us mortals are capable of, of doing honor to our Lord.

I'll always remember the look in his eyes when he was preaching. It was full of fire and love, all at the same time! I've never seen a more impressive speaker, who could pierce quite as deeply into people's hearts as Billy did. What a wonderful man of God! I wish him well. He's an old soldier now, living on Grace and Love. God be with him always. Amen.