PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Boolit Analysis Paralysis

IndianBob
05-28-2017, 09:21 PM
I'm a new caster, though I've reloaded for a few years. I've got happy cast loads picked out for my auto-pistols and revolvers, but I'm most interested in rifles, and decisions get complicated for me. My problem is most of my rifles are very close in caliber. Years ago I swore I'd get .308 versions of everything to keep loading simple. So, I bought a Lee-Enfield in .303 British, M1903A3 in .30-06, Savage 99 in .300 Savage, and a Mosin rifle in 7.62x54R. Oh, I did get some .308's, an M1A, AR style .308, and a couple bolt action Savages.

My "problem", which hangs me up mentally, is that all those rifles group around two calibers, .308 and .312, and are very roughly meant for similar purposes (high velocity, non-Unique/Titegroup loads), similar barrel lengths, suitable weights, etc, and it would be nice to settle on just a couple of bullets to cast. I don't want to re-spew everything I've read in books and on this site, but I try to evaluate the Lee, Lyman, RCBS molds for castability, reliability in auto-loaders, available freebore, reasonably high velocity (I have tons of linotype), reasonable accuracy out to 200 yards or so, plinking, 3-gun...

...I get hung up trying to process everything, without buying every single mold that seems like its well rounded and creating one giant spreadsheet. It was very straightforward to pick out cast bullets for my handguns, as they all had unique calibers, unique purposes. The rifles cluster, with different powder loads, sure, but the possibility of common styles and weights, one .308 and one .312 bullet seems there.

Anyone care to take the 'common bullet' idea apart, or affirm it and perhaps suggest a bullet they've validated?

popper
05-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Pick A rifle, decide what your intention is and then re-ask.

IndianBob
05-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Thanks, that un-funked me.

IndianBob
05-29-2017, 12:51 AM
I did come up with a nicely balanced load, at least on paper, I think it worthwhile to share as a starting point. The AR style .308 during 3-gun is the most demanding all around. For the .308 nominal groove rifles, the Lee C309-160R, 100% lino, GC'd, quenched at least a little (BN 26 or greater), sized 0.001 over groove, in front of 45-48 grains BL-C2. That grain range covers a large pressure range, 33,000 psi low, topping out at 46,000 psi with a worst case shot start pressure of 3000 lb. That gives enough worst case pressure at 13-14 inches down the barrel, about where the gas tap is for the M1A and my AR style .308 to cycle the action, and it's only 10% less than with a full on 62,000 psi load, so it should cycle the auto-loaders well. The round nose should be reliable in magazines. Max pressure is ok for .300 Savage too. Finally, recoil should be moderate enough that I don't get sick of 3-gun heavy division. Velocity is roughly 2400-2600 across the range.

Assuming it's above a reliable pressure, I'll load it to peak accuracy, or barrel leading, whichever happens first.

I'll swage the other rifles, see where they measure and go from there, but other than bullet sizing, all the .308 bore rifles should share this mold, similar powder loads. We'll see. Noob at work :)

Buckshot
05-29-2017, 02:24 AM
..............IndianBob, just a word. If you're a new caster and to Cast Boolit shooting, then starting out with an auto loader (and one of'em being 'Direct Impingement) is a pretty steep climb. Not saying you can't, but Lord help ya along the way :-) Also, the .303 British and the Rooski may or may NOT be close to .312", and I'd lay money that neither one is. The balance of the other 30 Cals you mentioned should be close to what they're supposed to be, that you maybe could use just a couple 30 cal moulds and a .308, .309, and a .310" Lube-Size die.

Number 1 for happiness in Cast Boolitland from the git-go is to slug each of your rifles, which you've probably already read about and know. However, your mentioning of a .312" design covering the Brit and the Rooski lead me to believe you haven't slugged them yet. If you have and .312" will cover both, I'd immediately run out and buy a lottery ticket :-) Again, to bring up the M1A, there are a couple of very good posts around here on the board (one by Bruce Bannister) who had excellent results with his at a very respectable range.

..............Buckshot

lotech
05-29-2017, 09:41 AM
I had to read the original post a couple of times to find what I think is your question. You may get by very well with one mould, the Lyman #314299, at least that is where I would start. I bought one twenty or so years ago for a couple of pristine .303 British rifles. My mould casts about .314", maybe .315" out of wheelweight alloy.

I quickly found this bullet also worked very well in .308, .30-40 Krag, and .30-06 when sized to .311". One would think the excessive sizing would cause distortion and be detrimental to accuracy, but this has not been the case. The #314299 has a fat nose which probably accounts in no small way for its accuracy, but the this feature also requires that it must be deep-seated in the .308 with the bullet base extending below the case neck. This is not the accuracy-robbing detriment many claim it to be, nor does it seem to induce leading.

Use powders like H4895, Reloder 7, one of the 4198s, 5744, or SR4759 in all your cartridges and you should get good results from the start. These are all very suitable powders so you needn't bother with fillers. I don't use the less desirable fast-burning pistol powders for the cartridges you mention, but they can probably be made to work.

Ford SD
05-29-2017, 09:52 AM
for anything in the 308 /30-06 family I would read
Bruce B write up it is for a Semi ?? 12 twist
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?3558-7-62x51-NATO-(-308-WCF)-in-the-Springfield-M1A

it will give you loads for a semi / vel range / what his group results were
a great place to start for bolt action as well as a semi
you will have to back down the load for a 10 twist bty
most mould makers will also make a similar mould for the next size up cal

if a bullet worked in a 308 -99% of the time it will work in a 30-06 you just have to play around with the powder charge

kobeinu
05-30-2017, 03:01 PM
I tried to go the "one mold for all told" and learned that it wasn't going to happen. And glad of it. I was going for something that would shoot out of a .357mag revolver and rifle, .35rem and .358Win but the closest I came was a 185gn GC mold that they all would "shoot" ok.

popper
05-30-2017, 03:18 PM
LR-308 AR carbine. 31-165C PCd over ~40gr. H4895. 2400 fps. Same load doesw 2700 inthe AR rifle. It's a 308W designed mould but I removed grooves. Accuracy close to the 168 Amax, me is the problem - shot MOA before but not that often. Shortened it & made PB I use in the BO @ 2100. You need 4% Sb & H.T. to do the job.
Mould driops 313 with my alloy but I size to 310 for my rifle. Works @ 311 for my 30/30 also but is not the best mould design for the throatless 30/30.