PDA

View Full Version : 7x57 from 8x57

JohnH
05-28-2017, 07:37 PM
Is this a good conversion? Is it as simple as running the 8x57 into a 7x57 sizing die?

Brasso
05-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Yes, but check case length and neck thickness.

JohnH
05-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Yes, but check case length and neck thickness. Thanks

EDG
05-28-2017, 09:16 PM
No 8X57 cases are not that easy to come by.

You should use easy to find .270 Win cases. Not that many people load .270 and the once fired neck is exactly the right size for 7X57. All you do is push shoulder back and trim to length.

JohnH
05-28-2017, 09:41 PM
No 8X57 cases are not that easy to come by.

You should use easy to find .270 Win cases. Not that many people load .270 and the once fired neck is exactly the right size for 7X57. All you do is push shoulder back and trim to length. I found these Privi Partisan cases at the range today. I have a '93 Mauser. I only have one box (20) cases for it, other projects occupy me. I have considered getting a form die but again, the rifle has been on the back burner. I read of using 270 cases when I was looking into a form die and actually have a fair amount of 270 cases on hand, I was collecting them to reform for a 280 Remington Encore barrel. I have not made any 7x57 from them as i figured the case was too long with trimming to length first. Would that be the best method?

CaptainCrossman
05-28-2017, 09:50 PM
257 Roberts will neck up to 7x57
so will 6mm Remington, and 6.5x57
6mm/244 Remington, 6.5x257 and 257 Roberts are all based on the 7x57 case necked down
I have a 9x57 Mauser and neck down new 9.3x57 to make them, that works really well and easy. try to start with only one size off either way, in your case 6MM Rem or 8x57
as you neck down a larger case that is many calibers/mm larger, it will grow longer
you can make 7x57 from common 270 Win, 280 Remington, 30-06 brass, by trimming some off every case.
personally I hate trimming a lot of length from cases, it takes the fun out of reloading, and takes up a lot of time usually- unless you have a motorized trimming tool.
I removed the crank handle from my RCBS trimmer and chuck it up in a drill to speed things up a bit.
there is also the 7.65x53 which will neck down to 7x57 but will be on the short side. the end result will fire in the 7x57 and you won't have to trim it for a long, long time and several reloadings....the bullet will have to jump into the rifling.
per previous reply, 8x57 is the best bet but those are not easy to find on the cheap boxer primed- the old wartime milsurp stuff is all berdan corrosive primed. if you buy that bulk milsurp 8x57, you can pull the bullets, powder and resize it down to 7x57, and reload it with powder, 7mm bullets again. the same thing going up from loaded 6mm to 7mm

EDG
05-28-2017, 09:54 PM
I have an old Forster trimmer that I use with a drill.
A 5/16-24 carburetor nut or high nut fits the handle thread. I use a nut driver in the drill to turn the trimmer. You need a bit of patience but you can just make chips out of the over length .270 cases.

I have also made 8X57 and 7.65 Mauser cases from both 30-06 and .270 brass. It takes a good bit of work to trim 100 cases using my trimmer but you only have to do it once.

I found these Privi Partisan cases at the range today. I have a '93 Mauser. I only have one box (20) cases for it, other projects occupy me. I have considered getting a form die but again, the rifle has been on the back burner. I read of using 270 cases when I was looking into a form die and actually have a fair amount of 270 cases on hand, I was collecting them to reform for a 280 Remington Encore barrel. I have not made any 7x57 from them as i figured the case was too long with trimming to length first. Would that be the best method?

CaptainCrossman
05-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Is this a good conversion? Is it as simple as running the 8x57 into a 7x57 sizing die?

ps- FWIW you might try full length resizing 7mm-08 with 7x57 die, and firing it in the 7x57, see how much it may grow. the 2 cases are very close in length and same caliber.

seaboltm
05-28-2017, 10:12 PM
7x57 brass is easy to find. Why go through the trouble?

CaptainCrossman
05-28-2017, 10:18 PM
I found these Privi Partisan cases at the range today. I have a '93 Mauser. I only have one box (20) cases for it, other projects occupy me. I have considered getting a form die but again, the rifle has been on the back burner. I read of using 270 cases when I was looking into a form die and actually have a fair amount of 270 cases on hand, I was collecting them to reform for a 280 Remington Encore barrel. I have not made any 7x57 from them as i figured the case was too long with trimming to length first. Would that be the best method?

just make sure you full length resize down all the way, when making 7x57 from longer brass. back when I was 14 years old was hunting with a Ruger M77 7x57, my Dad made a few 7x57 cases from 30-06 military brass. a herd of doe ran by during doe season, I shot ahead of the lead deer too far and missed, then the gun jammed on me when I tried to chamber 2nd round- the milsurp brass would feed in, but the bolt handle refused to cam down and lock. I ejected it and tried again, same thing happened with 3rd round- by the time I got the 4th round to close, the deer were just tails and I flung a shot at them and missed. picked up the brass, the ones that jammed were the reformed milsurp 30-06 brass. they were full length resized and trimmed to spec. the 2 that fired were bona fide headstamped 7x57 brass. learned a valuable lesson, if you resize brass shorter from a full length 30-06 family case, down to the European 57mm case, make sure you full length resize, trim- and most importantly, take the gun outside and cycle the loaded ammo through the action to make sure it closes and locks on the resized rounds. this is something Jack O'Connor always recommended doing before going on an expensive mountain hunt or safari. take nothing for granted. sometimes the shoulders harden working the brass, and even though the shell is FL resized and trimmed, the bolt won't close regardless. had I known then what I know now, I'd have all working brass in the magazine. but what does a 14 year old kid know. BTW I still have the rifle 41 years later, and there's not a time I take it out of the case, that I don't think of that.

CaptainCrossman
05-28-2017, 10:26 PM

(chuckle...) so true !! I have a Tupperware can full of milsurp 7x57 in the basement, that I paid 33 cents a loaded round for. I've been giving it away to my nephews 50 rounds at a time for years, when they go shooting. it's milsurp with lots of corrosion and FMJ tips, but it shoots.

JohnH
05-28-2017, 10:36 PM

It was free and I figured i could use it like this

mac60
05-29-2017, 09:07 AM

I run 30-06 brass into an old Pacific file/trim die (this pushes the shoulder back nicely), cut them off with a hacksaw then file them off flush with the top of the die. The result of this first step is a more or less formed case. I then size them f/l and do a final trim in a case trimmer. None of the rifles I have in 8x57 require neck reaming or turning. You may be able to make 7x57 brass from .270 brass using this method. At any rate, a file/trim die is a great way to remove a lot of brass in one fell swoop.

dogmower
05-29-2017, 10:58 AM
I think the best way to trim a lot of brass from a case is to use the little tubing cutter Harbor freight sells for 35 bucks. I also like the Lee hand trimmer to square up the case mouths. you never can get them exactly straight with the tubing cutter, so I cut them (270 win cases) a few thousandths long, run them through the full length sizer die, then use a drill press and press vice with the Lee trimmer system to take off the excess length and square up the case mouth. it will always be square because the case is turning, like a lathe, and it's faster than chucking the cases in a lathe. the other nice thing about the Lee system is that if it happens to be a case the Lee doesn't make a guide rod for, I just make one on the lathe. I form 577 snider, 450/477 martini henry, and some other oddball cases this way.

Hardcast416taylor
05-29-2017, 01:43 PM
It seems to me that alot of people that reform brass to a different case and caliber forget the cardinal rule about the finished case - try it in your rifle for function. I always dry run all the ammo I will be taking on a hunt, no matter how trivial it may be I don`t want a feed problem to happen when `Bambi`s` great uncle `Old Mossy Horns` steps out in front of me.Robert

claude
05-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Not so much where I live, not arguing, just stating a fact.

claude

CaptainCrossman
05-30-2017, 06:56 AM
then run with what you have, based on your own needs. if you have 8x57 neck it down to make 7x57, if that's the rifle you have. I would not resize a lot of it, cuz eventually I think you'll run into 7x57 brass on the cheap.
such as this
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/651475321

Teddy (punchie)
05-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Any if your looking for 270 brass to resize. I have some for .20 each plus shipping.

If anyone has 257 Roberts I would trade.

EDG
05-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Right now a new .257 case is worth about $1.00 each.

Your recommendation of 6mm Remington is a mistake. The 6mm has a different shoulder angle and a different gage point. If you use 6mm brass you will wind up with excessive clearance in the chamber exactly like excessive head space.

http://members.saami.org/ManualsStds/CC_Drawings/Rifle/6mm%20Remington.pdf

http://members.saami.org/ManualsStds/CC_Drawings/Rifle/7mm%20Mauser.pdf

257 Roberts will neck up to 7x57
so will 6mm Remington, and 6.5x57
6mm/244 Remington, 6.5x257 and 257 Roberts are all based on the 7x57 case necked down
I have a 9x57 Mauser and neck down new 9.3x57 to make them, that works really well and easy. try to start with only one size off either way, in your case 6MM Rem or 8x57
as you neck down a larger case that is many calibers/mm larger, it will grow longer
you can make 7x57 from common 270 Win, 280 Remington, 30-06 brass, by trimming some off every case.
personally I hate trimming a lot of length from cases, it takes the fun out of reloading, and takes up a lot of time usually- unless you have a motorized trimming tool.
I removed the crank handle from my RCBS trimmer and chuck it up in a drill to speed things up a bit.
there is also the 7.65x53 which will neck down to 7x57 but will be on the short side. the end result will fire in the 7x57 and you won't have to trim it for a long, long time and several reloadings....the bullet will have to jump into the rifling.
per previous reply, 8x57 is the best bet but those are not easy to find on the cheap boxer primed- the old wartime milsurp stuff is all berdan corrosive primed. if you buy that bulk milsurp 8x57, you can pull the bullets, powder and resize it down to 7x57, and reload it with powder, 7mm bullets again. the same thing going up from loaded 6mm to 7mm

bjmurata
05-31-2017, 11:41 AM
I run 30-06 brass into an old Pacific file/trim die (this pushes the shoulder back nicely), cut them off with a hacksaw then file them off flush with the top of the die. The result of this first step is a more or less formed case. I then size them f/l and do a final trim in a case trimmer. None of the rifles I have in 8x57 require neck reaming or turning. You may be able to make 7x57 brass from .270 brass using this method. At any rate, a file/trim die is a great way to remove a lot of brass in one fell swoop.
I've been a fan of the file trim dies for many years now and have several that I use on a regular basis. Few quick swipes with a fresh hacksaw blade and then a good file and you are pretty much there. Final form in the full length die for completion, works fine for me.

mac60
05-31-2017, 06:45 PM
I've been a fan of the file trim dies for many years now and have several that I use on a regular basis. Few quick swipes with a fresh hacksaw blade and then a good file and you are pretty much there. Final form in the full length die for completion, works fine for me.

Yes Sir. I'm not sure if the Pacific file/trim die is intended to be used as a pseudo forming die - probably not. However, it works well in turning 30-06 brass into 8x57.

Duckiller
06-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Interesting thread. If you are going to resize 7x08 to 7x57 your cases will have to grow 0.200' to meet proper length. 244 Rem/6mmRem is based on7x57 case as is 8x57,257 Roberts and 9x57. The 244 has a sharper sholder angle than the other calibers based on 7 x 57. If you are going to resize 244/6mm brass you will definitely have to full length resize to reduce shoulder angle..
Didn't know that people didn't reload 270 Win. Too many relatives had 270s and all were reloaded.

BAGTIC
06-19-2017, 06:19 PM
I once bought a used Interarms Mark V Mauser in 7x57 AI. The first shot caused a case head separation. I took it to my local gunsmith who checked the headspace. It was .035 excessive. When I checked I discovered that is the exact difference between 7x57 and 8x57. I assume that whoever set up the gun thought it would be the same for both calibers as 8x57 was developed from 7x57.
When the headspace was adjusted it worked perfectly even with maximum loads.

RogerDat
06-19-2017, 06:45 PM

The file/trim dies (mine is RCBS and recently purchased) work well. I picked up a Harbor Freight 2" cut off saw and rather than cut in the die using a hacksaw I just formed and marked in the die, then cut in the mini chop saw. Then back into the file/trim die for a bit of file work to true up mouth of case and get really close. Then into a trimming die to finish sizing. One thing I would note is use a file you don't mind dulling, the top of the file/trim die is harder than the file. I was doing 8x57

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/602533/rcbs-trim-and-form-die-7x57mm-7mm-mauser-from-30-06-springfield reviews say also can use 270 brass. Might be just the ticket for pile-o-brass project.

One last note try one case to finished with bullet to insure it chambers and bolt closes / extracts correctly. Would be a total PITA to find out that your particular gun or brass didn't quite fit after making up 50 or a 100 cases.

For 30-06 cases I am only using military brass, primer pocket is more of a hassle but there is no caliber headstamp so I am not making 8mm that has a 30-06 headstamp. Just says something like LC 57 as is typical of military brass. Don't think that would be an option if using .270 brass to reform.

747 captain
10-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Yes just size they fl die

Hardcast416taylor
10-16-2017, 02:01 PM
I make my .416 Taylor cases from Hornady 45 Mag. basic brass. Being overly long I first run them thru my de-cap/sizer die without the decap rod. Now I use a small tubing cutter (I used to be a plumber which is why I have a tubing cutter). I run them again thru the sizer and then do a final trim on my RCBS auto trim tool for correct length. Robert

opos
10-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Guess I'm just too lazy...SG ammo and others have PRVI Partisan loaded (139 and a heavier bullet) loaded ammo for super reasonable cost...I get one round to shoot...then customize the brass to my rifle (I only have one 7x57) and use Lee Collet dies and it just lasts for a very long time...the cost of that first "loaded round" spread out over a number of reloads makes the initial cost nil...the PRVI has been great brass for me...

IndySteve
06-14-2018, 06:48 AM
I apologize for digging this up from the basement but please allow me a few questions?

When forming 7x57 from.....anything, how much does the capacity change per brand of brass?
IS Remington 7x57 brass the "undersized junk" I keep getting told it is? I'm a bit of a Remington loony.
A couple said it was "2 grains of powder" undersized. I'm like.....oh big whoop. Gasp, Faint.....oh brother.
How's the quality of "new old stock" Remington 7x57?

I'm assuming from the replies that the SLIGHT difference in rim/web areas of the 7x57 and 8x57 are inconsequential?

Many think one is the parent of the other, but it is not. 7x57 has no listed parent case (and came about pre 1900) and the 8x57 's parent case is the M88 round..........allegedly, came about 1905 ish. (per Wiki......but who knows who typed these, lol)

Anywho.......CIP lists SLIGHT differences in the case's base area.. but I cannot wrap my head around ANY manufacturer not making them the same NOW. The slight differences would seem cost preventative to me.

But.........on the subject of WHY one would form 7x57 out of 7x57....is I CAN buy 8x57 Lapua cases but a bit over a buck each. hmmmmmmmmm

A bit squeamish on the PPU brass. Too many horror stories at bedtime or something.

New to me 1981 700 Classic...... 100 cases will probably outlast me so...wanna do it right.

God Bless
Steve

sharps4590
06-14-2018, 08:03 AM
If my information is correct the only thing that changed in 1905 with the 8 X 57 was the groove diameter from .318 to .323 and changing from a round nose 220 gr. bullet to a 150 gr. spitzer bullet. As far as I know the 8 X 57 is the parent of the 7 X 57 along with everything else based on the 8 X 57 head size....which includes the 30-06.

I'm not particularly a Remington fan but, neither do I have anything against them. I've used a pile of Remington 30-06 brass to re-form to something else and never had any issues. As with yourself, if the capacity is less, so what? I would like to think I'm an astute enough handloader to accommodate any differences.

When talking about rimless cases I don't think I would go to the trouble of re-forming one into the other for the reasons you listed. When it comes to 7 X 57R and/or 8 X 57R I believe that falls into a different light. To date I've not had need for 8 X 57R but have necked up some 7 X 57R into 9 X 57R for use in a Franz Jaeger drilling.

You mention horror stories about PPU brass. I must have missed them as I've had nothing but good results with their brass. I suppose in reality that doesn't mean a lot as that's just one man's experience.

The 8 X 57 is a fine cartridge. It's only bugaboo in this country was the 1905 change in groove diameter you mentioned. Consequently most, if not all, 8 X 57 factory ammo in the US is underloaded. As handloaders we can take advantage of all the fine qualities the 8 X 57 possesses....and they are multitude. I'll take the 8 X 57 over the -06 every time.

IndySteve
06-14-2018, 08:41 AM
I think anything with "MM" tacked on it is underloaded in the US, lol. The 8mm is one of the worst though.

On the PPU I can only relate stories told to me about undersized primer pockets to the point they hand to ream them to get primers in. I don't have that kind of faith in my abilities but yes, many also claim it's top notch.

Half tempted to just buy 4 boxes or so (don't really NEED 100) of loaded Remington 7x57 and load the brass.

I might be hallucinating but if MY name was going on loaded rounds, I'd do double checks on brass used for factory ammo. They should double check it all but..........experience says they do not. I probably couldn't afford it if they did.

Odd. I've always thought the 8mm M was the parent round too.........but danged if I can find anything other than that's what most others think too. Nothing I'd call concrete but I have a HARD time thinking Paul Mauser created a new case top to bottom in the late 1890s............so I'm positive you are correct.

It does seem odd that EU case diagrams show differences in rim, extractor groove and base measurements. They are TINY, but still........shown as different from each other.

Records from the 1890s would have to be a bit .......iffy, LOL.

No matter. Thanks for the info!

God Bless

IndySteve
06-14-2018, 08:50 AM

blackthorn
06-14-2018, 12:09 PM
As far as case capacity is concerned, there is no hard and fast rule. If you re-form from another caliber case, you may very well have a difference in grain-weight capacity. To find out, full length size a case, seat your bullet of choice in the unprimed case, weigh it, use a syringe (or?) to fill the case with water and re-weigh. Since water and powder are very close in grain-weight measurement, subtracting the first weight from the second will give you the grain-weight difference and the result can then be compared with the same procedure done using a factory case made for your firearm. Be aware this is still a "ball park" determination as case capacity can (and often does) vary even in different runs from the same manufacturer.

Texas by God
06-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Based on my experience with it, I wouldn't mind if all my brass was PPU. And it's reasonably priced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jedman
06-15-2018, 12:08 AM
I am with TbG's recommendations on PPU brass. I use there brasss in at least 4 calibers and it is great quality !

Jedman

Texas by God
06-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Graf has Privi 7x57 brass in stock for 54 cents apiece.
That's a bargain.

sharps4590
06-17-2018, 06:56 AM
That is a good price Texas! I wish someone had any X57R in stock at that price. I have no doubts that one day I'm going to need 8 X 57R and I loathe the thought of necking up anymore of my small stash of 7 X 57R.

Jedman
06-17-2018, 08:36 AM
Try Powder Valley Inc. they have both 7 x57 and 8 X 57 listed in stock for $ 25 and change for a bag of 50.
I have bought from them for years and they are fast and have good prices.

Jedman

WILCO
06-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Best answer.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-17-2018, 02:53 PM
I think anything with "MM" tacked on it is underloaded in the US, lol. The 8mm is one of the worst though.

On the PPU I can only relate stories told to me about undersized primer pockets to the point they hand to ream them to get primers in. I don't have that kind of faith in my abilities but yes, many also claim it's top notch.

Half tempted to just buy 4 boxes or so (don't really NEED 100) of loaded Remington 7x57 and load the brass.

I might be hallucinating but if MY name was going on loaded rounds, I'd do double checks on brass used for factory ammo. They should double check it all but..........experience says they do not. I probably couldn't afford it if they did.

Odd. I've always thought the 8mm M was the parent round too.........but danged if I can find anything other than that's what most others think too. Nothing I'd call concrete but I have a HARD time thinking Paul Mauser created a new case top to bottom in the late 1890s............so I'm positive you are correct.

It does seem odd that EU case diagrams show differences in rim, extractor groove and base measurements. They are TINY, but still........shown as different from each other.

Records from the 1890s would have to be a bit .......iffy, LOL.

No matter. Thanks for the info!

God Bless
I think the Spanish created the 7x57 for the 93 Mauser.

sharps4590
06-22-2018, 03:08 PM
I've always thought the 8mm M was the parent round too.........but danged if I can find anything other than that's what most others think too.

No matter. Thanks for the info! God Bless

Steve, on the GGCA, (German Gun Collector's Assn., I'm a member), there is a discussion about 6.5 X 57 brass. Needless to say several of those guys are guru's when it comes to German firearms and cartridges. One of those guru's just posted, in reference to the difference to head diameter. This same gentleman is a retired Army officer who spent about half his 22 year career in Germany, in the process getting to know a few of the old gunsmiths who were working before WWII and learning from them. I think he retired in either the late 70's or early 80's so there was more than a few of those old guys still around. He has lots of incredible stories. Anyway, here's what Mike said.

"This is because 6.5x57R is based on the M88 case, whereas the 7x57R is based on the M93 case."

So the original 8 X 57 is not the actual parent of the 7 X 57. I had no idea. gopher is correct and I stand corrected.

Walks
06-22-2018, 04:03 PM
That's how I started reloading my '93 MAUSER Carbine. I brought home 60+ ISRAELI 8mm cases as a souvenir from a trip to ISRAEL IN 1968.
I found a 1893 7X57 carbine in 1975, in a barrel of 1888 "Commision" Mausers. $40.00 at BIG5 Sporting Goods. Bore was BRIGHT & SHINY, metal & wood 90%. LUCKY find. I bought the one box of ammo they had. I bought HORNADY bullets & dies at BOWERS WHLSE. No brass on hand. Then I remembered the box of 8mm brass. I lubed bodies & inside the case neck and passed them through the 7mm sizer. Trimmed the few that needed it and loaded a starting load with H4895 & SIERRA 150gr HPBT MK Rejects, that I bought at the old Sierra Bullet factory in SANTA FE SPRINGS, CA. A dollar a pound. Great plinking loads, you bought what ever rejects they had on hand.

Brass worked great, no neck thickness problems. I brought the brass home with the hope I would be able to use it someday. I went to the Rifle Range with my Cousins when in ISRAEL. Had a chance to shot the DWM K98KAR my Cousins Father had used in the WAR FOR INDEPENDENCE. I was surprised to learn ISRAELI AMMO was boxer primed.

I must have reloaded them a dozen or more times, never lost a case, never had a primer pocket expand, trimmed twice, I think.

So go ahead and neck it down. I can't speak to Prvi Partisan rifle brass. I did have a problem with some 9mm years back when it first came into our country. TIGHT primer pockets. Haven't tried any since.

I turned it into a SCOUT RIFLE a few years later by removing the sights & dropping it into a E.C. BISHOP stock. Had a GOOD GUNSMITH cobble up a SCOUT SCOPE base for it & stuck on a BURRIS SCOUT SCOPE. BOY HOWDY did it shoot. I'd loaded some light lead load with the LYMAN#287405 over UNIQUE for 50yd shooting with the iron sights. I got 2" 5 shot groups from the bench with that load & 3 shot 1 1/2" groups with JACKETED loads.
Now with the scope at 100yds I was getting 5 shot Cast groups of 1 1/2" & 3 shot JACKETED groups under an inch. With that 2 3/4X scope I was tumbling jackrabbits at 100ydsyds+.
That is a gun I WILL NEVER SELL. A blast to shoot lead all day long, 14.5grs over that #287405 sized .285, cast of straight Lino & lubed with WLL BAC. Rifle has a true groove diameter of .284, a real surprise to me. A VERY LUCK FIND.