PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-28-2017, 07:22 AM
“Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10) .

Do you find yourself in a place of nothingness? There is a time and place in our walk with God in which He sets us in a place of isolation and waiting. It is a place in which all past experiences are of no value. It is a time of such stillness that it can disturb the most faithful if we do not understand that He is the one who has brought us to this place for only a season. It is as if God has placed a wall around us. No new opportunities – simply inactivity.

During these times, God is calling us aside to fashion something new in us. It is a place of nothingness designed to call us to deeper roots of prayer and faith. It is not a comfortable place, especially for a task-driven workplace believer. Our nature cries out, “You must do something” while God is saying, “Be still and know that I am God.” You know the signs that you have been brought into this place when He has removed many things from your life and you can’t seem to change anything. Perhaps you are unemployed. Perhaps you are laid up with an illness.

Many people live a very planned and orchestrated life where they know almost everything that will happen. But for people in whom God is performing a deeper work, He brings them into a time of quietness that seems almost eerie. They cannot see what God is doing. They just know that He is doing a work that cannot be explained to themselves or to others.

Boaz
05-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Thank you rl69 . Comforting this morning .

square butte
05-28-2017, 08:09 AM
I think it is the place of stillness that I long for the most - especially when I don't seem to be able to find it . . . Thank you for the word this morning rl69

Pine Baron
05-28-2017, 08:11 AM
I find myself there often, and it is always a time of anxiety followed by peace.

USMC87
05-28-2017, 08:20 AM
I agree Pine Baron, Amen for a great lesson.

Rooster59
05-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Well done. Thanks.

GhostHawk
05-28-2017, 09:50 PM
It can be hard when you are trying to find that stillness. The outside world is a busy place.

For most of my life when I was troubled I would go find a tree. At times even in the middle of a city. Just sit back against that tree, sink some roots. And let the tree's stillness seep in.

But, you can't do that and not be ok with being in your own head and not saying something or thinking. There is a knack to it.

Square, try this. Lay down on your bed, door shut, lights off, on your back.

Breath in through your nose in a nice long 1,2,3,4 count. Feel the fresh air coming all the way up through your toes, your legs, into your body.

Hold for a 4 count, then purse your lips slightly and blow out the top of your head.

Start wherever is comfortable speed wise, don't hyperventilate, don't starve yourself.

About the 5th cycle my brain seems to go into neutral. And you can find that stillness, that inner peace.

Let your body just continue the pattern and just BE for a bit.

I find it a great way to relax and get to sleep when my brain is doing 90 mph come midnight.

Give it a try, let me know how it goes.

It may help if you try to "feel" that air coming up your legs, and blowing out the top of your head.

Bzcraig
05-29-2017, 01:00 AM
Not exactly the same but several years ago when the economy was in the tank and I had let all my employees go (ceramic tile contractor) and once again picked up the tools (at this point I was just doing residential remodel work), the Lord put on my heart to work in silence (no radio or intentional background noise). This period lasted 3/4 years. The thing that was most interesting is I began to HEAR what I was thinking but had previously been drowned out by noise. I learned my mind had been filled with many sinful thoughts, negative thoughts that I would ruminate about, angry thoughts and just plenty of garbage.

GhostHawk
05-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Rgr that Bzcraig. It is good to be quiet and still now and then. Hear yourself, and maybe the Lord.

Blackwater
05-29-2017, 03:12 PM
I had to read this one twice to be sure I was getting the message sent. And you're right, RL. We DO have "down times" and I think it's for a reason, just as your post says. We mortals are SO inclined to just keep going in one direction. I think of it as "human momentum," where we just keep going and going, and don't really think about what we're doing or how it's going, but just keep doing it repetitiously, kind'a hoping it's the right thing, or because we don't know a better thing or way to do it. But if we don't take the time to reflect and question and revise our thoughts, and learn yet more than we presently do, then I think our wonderful and gracious Savior forces them upon us at times, so we WILL take that time and reflect, and learn, and edify ourselves, and maybe re-set our courses. After all, a ship at sea is constantly adjusting its course, in order to get where it's yearning to be. How can we be any different, if we want to end up in the right port of call ourselves? Just makes perfect sense, really. Thanks for a great passage again today!