PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have a Rossi 92 And Using a Skinner On It?

Bzcraig
05-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Long story short I may need to replace my Stevesgunz bolt mounted peep sight because of zeroing issues and was thinking about a Skinner. The Skinner website states empathically it works but what say you old guys with bad eyes like me?

Tenbender
05-27-2017, 09:44 PM
I have a Skinner on my 92. Works great but you will probably have to change your front sight. Mine shot high with the Skinner screwed all the way in. I really like the sight though. I have " Old Eyes " lol.

paraord
05-28-2017, 10:10 AM
i have a marbles tang sight and a lyman 17a globe on my rossi 92 in 44mag. love the combo

pietro
05-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Skinner makes two different style peepsights, one for receiver mounting and another for barrel mounting.

The Skinner receiver peepsight won't fit your Rossi M92 w/o drilling & tapping one 6-48 hole atop the rear of each receiver sidewall to mount it, and then (because of the higher line-of-sight) you will also need a much taller front sight blade to achieve zero.

The other Skinner peepsight, which replaces the issue dovetailed rear barrel open sight, is much farther from a shooter's eye than a receiver sight, which makes it slower to use for sudden game shots.
IMO, this sight is only a cost-effective solution for those who don't want to have their receivers D&T'd, and is nowhere near as effective as a receiver mounted sight.

You can, however, mount a receiver peepsight that will not require a taller front sight blade - A Williams FP-94AE or 5D-94AE receiver sight intended for a Winchester Model 94 Angle Eject (94AE).
It will still require the 2 holes be D/T'd atop the receiver sidewalls, and a flat plug (easy to make, or buy from Steve) installed in the bolt safety hole where the Steve's Gunz peep sight is now. (to avoid a huge & unsightly empty hole in the bolt top)

The reason the Williams sights won't require a taller front sight to achieve zero is that the aperture bar lowers to a position behind it's base, instead of atop the base like other sights do.

This is a Williams 5D-94AE (half the price of the FP-94AE) mounted on my Rossi 92:

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0384.jpg http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0385-1.jpg

Bzcraig
06-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Anyone else?

missionary5155
06-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Good morning
Due to the fact you need to D/T the Rossi receiver the standard Williams or Lyman or Redfield flat side mount can be used. The D/T holes are located far enough lower so the cross bar sits down lower almost touching the bolt.
Mike in Peru

KCcactus
06-03-2017, 05:52 PM
How tall is your front sight? The top of mine looks to be .36" above the top of the barrel and my Stevesgunz peep works fine. It even has room to go lower.

Bzcraig
06-04-2017, 01:00 AM
Hey Mike, the Rossi is D/T for a scope base above the chamber, and I personally don't care for side mounted sights.

KCcatus, the problem with the Stevesgunz sight has nothing to do with the front sight. Rather it is that the hole in the bolt where the sight mounts is not perfectly aligned with the centerline of the bore and there is not enough drift on the front sight to make it work. I have Steve's peeps on my 357 & 45 Rossi's as well and like them.

Since I'll hunt with this rifle and I just didn't get enough input on the Skinner sight, I decided to go the route of a scout scope.