PDA

View Full Version : Ken waters & a uberti hi wll 38-55

50target
05-27-2017, 07:49 PM
This is to pay homage to Ken Waters who has saved us all reloaders untold hours of trial & error. I have a Taylor & Company Uberti HW in 38-55 ands have been doing some load development. Went to Pet Loads and tried the 21.0 gr of IMR 4198 and a Meister .380 dia bullet with Federal 210 primers and Starline short brass. This is Ken's load for Level 1 guns which he deems the weakest and calls it a "match" load. Boy did he ever call that one right. I seated bullet to crimp groove but no crimp, just run in empty sizer to snug down the bell at the case moth. My nephew shot it first at 100 yds & out of 6 RDS had 4 cut one ragged hole for 3/4 inch. His first time on the gun. My 7 RDS yielded 5 of the 7 cut one ragged hole for 7/8 inch. These groups were measured outside to outside . Due to age and old eyes I have a 10x Unertl that is a 3/4" scope with a 1.25" objective lense & looks good on the gun with a 30" barrel.
Thank you Ken Waters, of Blessed Memory, for your enduring legacy to all of us shooters. What a wonderful gift.

HeavyMetal
05-27-2017, 08:06 PM
NO doubt in my mind Ken Waters was the master of reloading!

I have his complete Pet Loads file and wish the man had either started shooting earlier in life or lived to 165!

So many cartridges he just never got around to but his techniques is spelled out in pretty much every Pet Loads article and, when ammo is available I start with a few rounds of factory stuff for a base line expansion ring.

I to just got a 38-55, Chiappa Sharps copy, and his article was my go to source when I needed loads.

AS I get time I'll try that 4198 load I've noticed my shoulder has a touch of Bursitis these days and a soft match load could make for an interesting afternoon.

HM

50target
05-27-2017, 08:29 PM
That 4198 load will be my plinkin & everyday use load. Next is to come up with an accurate "thumper" load.

OlDeuce
05-28-2017, 01:34 AM
I just bought the Ken Waters complete Pet Load and got lost for over an hour with his information ! What a Guy R.I.P Ken........
I also shoot that 21gr load of 4198 in my 38-55! It's a Great load!

OL Deuce

Jack Stanley
05-28-2017, 05:45 PM
I can't name a single modern writer that did was well as Ken Congrats on your shooting efforts .

Jack

marlinman93
05-29-2017, 09:43 PM
Great book, and should be a must read for anyone who reloads, especially those with a few different calibers! Well worth the price!