PDA

View Full Version : Heirllom Field Pea favorites ?

square butte
05-27-2017, 12:20 PM
I have been wanting to try field peas here in VT - even though it's more of a southern crop, and have been looking at heirloom varieties . Does anyone have a favorite or two of an heirloom field pea that they may like and recommend ?

Boaz
05-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Not trying to jack the thread square butte but isn't it against the law to eat peas where your at ? The villagers
might show up in the middle of the night with torches and pitchforks ?

square butte
05-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Well - as a 5th generation Texan, I am behind enemy lines. But we don't let the neighbors know what we are cookin up - unless it's rhubarb pie. Then a piece goes over to our 94 year old neighbor. We tried your tamale and bean recipe the other night - But made them with blackeyed peas and pork. Do I need to tell you that they were some gooood?

Leslie Sapp
05-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Look for what we call here a " running acre pea" It's a small white pea with a delicious flavor. They are a little harder to shell than the more common black eyes and crowder peas, but Oh, so worth it.

DLCTEX
05-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Black eye is the best.

Ole Joe Clarke
05-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Purple Hull, Blackeyed, Big Boy? All of them are good. If you plant them late (in the South) you will miss the weavels.

Fishman
05-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Square butte I have sent your request to my Dad who is a field pea lover and has done extensive testing in Missouri. He is a member on here so information is coming. I'd have a go at it but he will do it justice.

One guy I work with swears by a pea called "zippercream" which is best when mature. He's from east Texas and it's popular there.

Nicholas
05-28-2017, 08:29 PM
I have been wanting to try field peas here in VT - even though it's more of a southern crop, and have been looking at heirloom varieties . Does anyone have a favorite or two of an heirloom field pea that they may like and recommend ?

You likely need a pea (southern pea, cowpea, field pea as often named) with a short season for your location. There is a bunch of varieties out there. try shopping Baker Heirloom seeds or Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. You can order directly off their web sites. Blackeyes are good, but are most often picked dry. You might prefer fresh peas. One of my favorites is Ozark Razorback, good both fresh or dry. Tip: let fresh peas stay in the pod overnight and they are easier to shell. For a mild easy shelling fresh pea, Zipper Cream is very good. Another favorite of mine is Black Crowder. I try to grow multiple varieties every summer. Last year Burkina Fasa du Haricot Rouge from Baker was very good and fairly productive, with a somewhat earthy flavor. But, to get started, you could do very well with Mississippi Silver, aka Brown Crowder, which you might find at your local garden store.

Production of dried peas can make you wonder why you put out so much effort; as the weight harvested seems rather small. remember that when cooked and rehydrated you will multiply that by maybe 3x. I calculated the production of one of my rows of Ozark and it was equivalent to 1500 pounds/acre, but it was only 150 feet of row.

If you get into peas, you probably will never grow blackeyes. It is not economically superior to storebought. Other varieties are not available in markets, though they may be available in bulk from internet stores. These other varieties have unique tastes and other culinary virtues. Once you find a variety you like, save seeds from year to year. Southern Exposure has tips for doing so.

Hope this helps. Nicholas

Fishman
05-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Aaand there he is. . . In fine form as usual. I should add that Ozark Razorback is my favorite and I sure do benefit from all this variety testing.

square butte
05-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Thank you folks for your suggestions. Leslie - still looking for a company that sells "Running Acre". Nicholas - I appreciate your tips and variety ideas I found Baker Heirloom and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I had about decided on one variety called "White Whippoorwill" - which seems to have some good reviews. Zipper Cream and Ozaerk Razorback seems like a pretty good bet as well. Thank you again Fishman for your offer to send some seed to try. I really do like the whole heirloom thing and hope I can find a couple a good varieties that do well here. Love growing our own food - and we do love field peas

farmerjim
05-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Mississippi purple, Mississippi Silver, Magnolia. All are nematode resistant.

square butte
05-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Good thing here is that I do not have nematodes

Thundarstick
05-31-2017, 08:28 PM
There must be something wrong with me, as i am southern born and raised, and I'm no fan of field peas! I'm going the opposite direction, and have fallen head over heals for yellow eyed beans! I grow them in my garden because you can't buy them local (I ordered 25lbs from Maine last year) and everyone loves them! I also grow a spring and fall crop of green peas as well. Just must be something wrong with me??

I do love my okra though!

SSGOldfart
05-31-2017, 08:53 PM
I grow purple hull/ field peas some call them cow peas here in Texas.
I should warn you DEER absolutely love them,I also use them in feed plots for hunting.