PDA

View Full Version : ill make the purists cringe!

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2017, 06:37 AM
picked up a 2.5 inch ajst. sighted smith 66 last winter. I really liked the gun but just couldn't get it to shoot. I tried probably 10 different bullets and many powders, powder charges and even primers and never got the gun to shoot much better then 4 inch at 25 yards. So I took it to the local gun shop and swapped it even up for a used like new glock 29. I already have a 20 so theres a pile of ammo already loaded and the cool thing about a glock is accuracy isn't the main criteria for judging one. That's glock #6 for me now. Someones going to get the impression I like them.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-27-2017, 06:57 AM

Lefty Red
05-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Doesn't matter how pretty a pistol is to me. If I can't shot it or don't trust it, it's not worth much to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2017, 07:32 AM
yup I'm the same way. That 357 would have been a woods bumbing gun and if it cant be at least a 2.5 inch gun at 25 yards it isn't worth much to me for that purpose. Add to that ive never been a big fan of the 357 and the fact that I have many guns already that cover that job it wasn't much of a decision. Got to say though it was the coolest 357 ive owned other then the great western I owned years ago that also wouldn't shoot for beans!

dragon813gt
05-27-2017, 07:56 AM
If it doesn't shoot a gun is worthless. At the end of the day they're a tool and nothing more. Glock has a habit of making reliable tool so nothing wrong w/ trading for one.

Sasquatch-1
05-27-2017, 08:34 AM
I am interested to see if you can group under 4 inches at 25 yds with the Glock. For a 2.5" revolver I think 4" group would be outstanding at 25 yds.

Now if you were grouping 4" at 25 feet (where it seems a lot of shooter shoot from today) I would feel that would be a poor group.

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2017, 08:58 AM
I am interested to see if you can group under 4 inches at 25 yds with the Glock. For a 2.5" revolver I think 4" group would be outstanding at 25 yds.

Now if you were grouping 4" at 25 feet (where it seems a lot of shooter shoot from today) I would feel that would be a poor group.

My 3inch 696 will routinely shoot one inch at 25 yards. As will my 3 inch 29. Barrel length has little to do with accuracy. A short barreled gun if its a good one will shoot just as good as a long barreled gun. Come and visit and ill show you 50 yard one inch groups my 4 inch 500 linebaugh shoots with many loads. Might take a bit more consentration to shoot a short barreled gun and there tougher if the trigger isn't just right but they sure will shoot. By the way ive got 5 glocks right now my 20,23,19,and 22 will all shoot 2-2.5 inch or close to it with loads they like using cast bullets and my little 43 will do under 4 inch. My M&Ps will do as good or better except for my shield. That too is about a 4 inch gun. If it was a little snubby id consider that its use would be the same as my shield or 43 and could probably live with it. But its was a bit large to consider it in the same category as a snubby or one of those two semis. Its good enough accuracy for close in combat but for a woods bumming gun it needs to shoot groups about half the size it did. Just doesn't make much sense to me to tote around a k frame gun when ive had j frame snubbys that shot that well. Odd thing is its the first k frame I ever owned that wasn't a good shooter.

tazman
05-27-2017, 09:01 AM
I can't shoot a 4 inch group at 25 yards with any handgun no matter how good it is from a rest, so my standards are a bit lower than yours. That said I have run into handguns that simply don't shoot for beans.
I have a 4 trip rule for all guns. If after 4 trips to the range, they are not shooting well, working properly, meeting expectations, or at least showing promise, they move on down the road. I am too old to mess with poor shooting guns.

Bigslug
05-27-2017, 09:24 AM
A 2.5" point-defense belly gun that's able to hit a clay pigeon from a fourth of a football field away with fair reliability didn't "meet standards"?

I think I'd be more questioning of the standards than the belly gun, but so long as you're happy. . .

Guesser
05-27-2017, 09:27 AM
I had a 66-5, 3". it got traded away. I tried everything my several other 357's liked and could never get it to shoot, plus it leaded with everything when none of the other blue or stainless 357's did. it went away.........

Petrol & Powder
05-27-2017, 10:09 AM
If it didn't work for you it needs to go down the road. End of discussion

As for Glocks, The haters are always going to hate. Glocks work and there's no getting around that fact.

Revolvers aren't as simple as some people think. Everything has to be just right for a revolver to shoot well. When everything is right, they are marvelous tools. When something is wrong and you can fix it, they can become marvelous tools. When there's bunch of things wrong and you're not sure where the problem is - they need to go down the road.

mozeppa
05-27-2017, 11:45 AM
whats a glock?

some sorta musical instrument?

a baby glockenspiel ?

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2017, 12:19 PM
your not incorrect if it was a belly gun I bought it for but like I said its a gun to carry in the woods that might be required to actually make a humane shot on a rabbit, grouse, turkey ect that is what I bought it for. Kind of a baby brother to my 696. Like I said ive got j frames for a belly gun revolver already. Hitting a target the size of a clay pigeon 2 or 3 times out of 4 isn't good enough. Don't know about you but I detest gut shooting even a rabbit.
A 2.5" point-defense belly gun that's able to hit a clay pigeon from a fourth of a football field away with fair reliability didn't "meet standards"?

I think I'd be more questioning of the standards than the belly gun, but so long as you're happy. . .

Lefty Red
05-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Never shot the G29, only the G20. Was thinking about getting one or the G30.

Interested in how you like it and how it shoots.

Lefty

LAH
05-27-2017, 07:37 PM
2.5 inch ajst. sighted smith 66

Everyone has a certain terminology they use for guns. I'm with Lloyd on this one. A K-frame with adjustable sights I personally don't consider a belly gun. Now maybe a 2" model 10 but not a 2 1/2" model 66. But that's just me.

Drm50
05-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Yea, K is to big for a belly gun. I am S&W revolver hoarder, but I shoot them and am not the
slightest interested in 4" or shorter guns. To big for carry and to small for field. One thing I will
say, even the short barrels shoot if you check them off bags. Except for a few "experts" longer
barrels are easier to shoot accurately. I can't shoot 4" Ks or Ns near as well as 6"-83/8" guns.
I have some 4" guns but they are trade material. The only 4" guns I keep are m34s. I have yet
to see a Glock outshoot a S&W revolver. I'm not talking shooter skill, I'm talking the pistol.

LAH
05-27-2017, 08:58 PM
I have yet to see a Glock outshoot a S&W revolver. I'm not talking shooter skill, I'm talking the pistol.

They are for sure a completely different platform.

TCLouis
05-27-2017, 10:10 PM
I had a 6" model 66 that would NOT shoot any decent group with any combo of powder/boolit I tried.
Finally read a "Skeeter" article he mentioned 358156 and 5.0 of Red Dot.
I got froggy and went with 5.0 PROMO and the 160 grain RNFP PB GB boolit from LONG ago GBs.

Holy Mackerel best group I have ever got out of that pistol. roughly 1.25" with semi rested shooting
Gotta monkey around with that a little more including his recommended Boolit, but cheapskate that I am, why send a GC down range when a PB boolit will do it!

Catshooter
05-28-2017, 01:37 AM
All of my Glocks shoot right at two inches (25 yards). Except one. A gen 2 19 with Federal 9mm BPLE 115 gr. +P+ will reliably do right at one inch. All factory parts. Most accurate Glock I've ever had, the moon must have been setting just right when it was put together.

Short barrels can shoot! The tightest group I've ever fired was from a S&W Shorty Forty Five (3.375 inch barrel). With my handloads it put eight rounds into a group that all of it hid completely behind a US quarter. Wish I could still shoot like that.

I'd've done the same thing Lloyd. Doesn't work, bye bye.

Cat

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2017, 06:50 AM
Ill take it and my 20 to the range next week and shoot them side by side and let you know how they compare. I wont have time to work up a specific load for each. Ive got probably 4 different loads loaded for the 20 and ill just use them.

Lefty

54bore
05-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Lloyd, i would have been rid of it as well, but a Glock??? LOL! I am a huge fan of the .357 Magnum IF IT SHOOTS GOOD. I currently have a Talo Version Ruger GP-100 6" that shoots REALLY GOOD

Dale53
05-28-2017, 10:35 AM
A number of years ago, I had a similar problem with a Ruger Security Six with 4" barrel. I just could not shoot that revolver to my potential. I had a custom action job done. Off the rest it shot well. I just could NOT get it to perform in my hands.

A friend fell in love with it and I sold it to him. I picked up a 4" Smith CS-1 "L" frame .357 and right out of the box, it shot extremely well. It is my walk around .357 Magnum and resides next to my bed.

Some guns just simply do not fit "us" and some do. That's just a fact.

FWIW
Dale53

Lefty Red
05-28-2017, 12:36 PM
That would be awesome! Looking forward to your finding!

Lefty

Ramjet-SS
05-28-2017, 02:25 PM
I have had a few of "those guns" just could not get the accuracy I wanted. Out the door they went. As far as the model 29 I had one for few years it shot really well. I like the Model 20 SF better and really like the 10MM in the 1911 configuration but when I head out for woods walking it's the Model 20 or Model 40 MOS Glock. Those guns shoot a 200 grain Cast GC FP really well.

54bore
05-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Some guns just simply do not fit "us" and some do. That's just a fact.

FWIW
Dale53

Dead on here!! I use to compete in trap and sporting clays, i could shoot a Beretta semi auto like nobody's business! I could also shoot an 1100 Remington about as well, but i could NOT shoot a Remington 870 Pump gun to save my rear? It felt right, but the birdies kept right on a cruising unscathed after the shot MANY times. These are all field guns and not intended for Trap, but LOTS of folks use them. If the shoe fits, wear it!

MT Gianni
05-29-2017, 11:57 AM
I also sold a 2.5" 66 rb that would not group for me. Replaced it with an older DW 4" 15 and never looked back. J frame 2" 38 out shot it, sometimes you have to move on.

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2017, 05:46 AM
Ive yet to find a Dan Wesson revolver that wasn't a shooter.
I also sold a 2.5" 66 rb that would not group for me. Replaced it with an older DW 4" 15 and never looked back. J frame 2" 38 out shot it, sometimes you have to move on.

EMC45
05-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Don't blame you a bit Lloyd. I had a real nice 4 inch 66 myself that went down the road for a like new Glock 36. I never used the 66 and I think I had about $225 in it and got the Glock and really enjoy it. I shoot the 36 way more than I ever shot the 66.

rintinglen
05-31-2017, 02:45 AM
Can't hear you NA NA NA. S&W 66 for Glock? Rank heresy
Some guns just don't work for some guy's hands. For me, the Glock is just wrong, feels off and I don't shoot them well.

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2017, 07:07 AM
now your avatar is showing a bunch of 22 pistols with about the same grip angle as glock haters complain about.
Can't hear you NA NA NA. S&W 66 for Glock? Rank heresy
Some guns just don't work for some guy's hands. For me, the Glock is just wrong, feels off and I don't shoot them well.

rintinglen
05-31-2017, 07:58 AM
It's not the angle--It's the "block of 2x2" feel to the grip, combined with the angle that is off putting for me. But, as the farmer said as he kissed his cow, to each his own. I know a young Police officer who can make his Glock 17 shoot nice tiny groups on demand. Same gun in my hand, not so good.

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2017, 08:12 AM
they are a bit chubby in the grips. Its why although I like glocks I prefer smith m&ps. Nothing feels better in the hand then an m&p.

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2017, 05:25 AM
took them both to the range yesterday and the 20 definitely outshot the 29. But the 20 has a ghost trigger job and has a much better trigger. The 29 with its smaller size and heavier trigger was tough to shoot accurately. Came home and ordered a ghost trigger kit for the 29. When it comes ill give you a much fairer assessment.

Lefty

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2017, 05:28 AM
by the way even with the heavy trigger it outshot that 66.

Lefty Red
06-01-2017, 05:55 AM
Lloyd, do you just use the spring kit and connector?

Lefty

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2017, 06:01 AM
depends. On ccw guns just the disconnect. On guns that I mostly plink and hunt with both. This 29 is not going to be a normal carry gun for me. Mostly its going to be a gun to strap on out at camp. So it will get springs and disconnect. Same thing I did to the 20. Even though there perfectly safe even for ccw with both in I allways have it in the back of my mind that if it came down to having to actually use one on a person, would the judge look unfavorably on me because my gun had a light trigger. that said I almost have to chuckle because even with the disconnect and the trigger springs pull is well over 5lbs on them.

Lefty Red
06-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Agree, I couldn't tell much if a difference in the Ghost springs and connectors over the stock setup. I normally use the NY#1 spring in my CCW weapons out of habit.

Have you tried the Apex trigger and plunger for the Glocks? Wow! Game changer! Three times more than just a spring and connector swap, but way more effective. It doesn't lower the trigger weight, just makes the reset shorter and a more of straight back pull instead of the curve.

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2017, 06:50 AM
I don't doubt it a bit but its more then I can afford.
Agree, I couldn't tell much if a difference in the Ghost springs and connectors over the stock setup. I normally use the NY#1 spring in my CCW weapons out of habit.

Have you tried the Apex trigger and plunger for the Glocks? Wow! Game changer! Three times more than just a spring and connector swap, but way more effective. It doesn't lower the trigger weight, just makes the reset shorter and a more of straight back pull instead of the curve.

Bubba w/a 45/70
06-01-2017, 02:19 PM
I am with Lloyd, if the guns don't work/shoot good for you....down the road.
I traded off a nice S&W 19 357mag with a bob/trigger job bar none for a CZ clone 9mm for my wife. The 9mm was something she could repeatedly shoot, manipulate, and function....not so for the 357. A good trade for me, not my best, but it worked.

And she still shoots that 9mm, and asks questions after it has been moved by me for any reason from her bedside.

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2017, 05:43 AM
this 29 is pretty amazing. I feeds 10s loaded normal, 40s with the bullets seated out to 10 length and even ran two clips of normal 40s loaded with 180s at about 800 fps. My 20 will feed the 40s with the bullets seated out but wont eject normal 40s. At least not the slightly downloaded ammo I had. Good to know if you got in a bind you could use some ones 40 ammo in it. Also good to know that if 10 brass became unavailable you could use 40 brass in them.

Lefty Red
06-16-2017, 03:53 PM
took them both to the range yesterday and the 20 definitely outshot the 29. But the 20 has a ghost trigger job and has a much better trigger. The 29 with its smaller size and heavier trigger was tough to shoot accurately. Came home and ordered a ghost trigger kit for the 29. When it comes ill give you a much fairer assessment.

So what do you think now?

9.3X62AL
06-16-2017, 04:26 PM
I also have Glock 20SF and 29 SF. That bitty one bounces around some with Silvertip duplicators on board, but I still enjoy it. I wish like H-E double-toothpicks I could have carried the G-20 on uniform/patrol duty. 16 VERY healthy rounds to start the music, and 30 more on the belt if more stanzas are to be played. Pretty decent bear repellent, too.

I had a S&W Model 19 x 2.5" for about a year. It fit my hand well wearing Pachmayr Compacs, and I could hit very well with it to 25 yards and beyond. It wasn't enough smaller than my 686 x 4" to keep it around, so it went down the road.

One of the few gaps in the Glock pistol lineup is a mid-sized 10mm/45 ACP frame. 10 and 45 in the 19/23 size range would be DELIGHTFUL.

garym1a2
06-16-2017, 05:23 PM
A glock 30S is pretty close to the glock19 size. Only a little fatter.

I also have Glock 20SF and 29 SF. That bitty one bounces around some with Silvertip duplicators on board, but I still enjoy it. I wish like H-E double-toothpicks I could have carried the G-20 on uniform/patrol duty. 16 VERY healthy rounds to start the music, and 30 more on the belt if more stanzas are to be played. Pretty decent bear repellent, too.

I had a S&W Model 19 x 2.5" for about a year. It fit my hand well wearing Pachmayr Compacs, and I could hit very well with it to 25 yards and beyond. It wasn't enough smaller than my 686 x 4" to keep it around, so it went down the road.

One of the few gaps in the Glock pistol lineup is a mid-sized 10mm/45 ACP frame. 10 and 45 in the 19/23 size range would be DELIGHTFUL.

NoAngel
06-16-2017, 05:37 PM
That was a good trade. I'm kinda prejudiced though, I do not like revolvers. A g20 is on my short list. Getting any more power out of a smaller package is nigh impossible.

Lloyd Smale
06-17-2017, 06:49 AM
the 20 outshoots the 29 but not by very much. Id say that average group size of the 20 is about 2" and the 29 does about 2.5
So what do you think now?

Lefty Red
06-18-2017, 02:35 AM
the 20 outshoots the 29 but not by very much. Id say that average group size of the 20 is about 2" and the 29 does about 2.5

Awesome! I have to say the G30 is just as accurate, for me, as the G21. It's just a bit quicker on follow up shots.

Lefty