PDA

View Full Version : Ruger quality has gone down the drain...check out their cobble job

Tripplebeards
05-26-2017, 08:46 PM
If you check out my previous post on the American 450 bushmaster on missing bluing and scratched you will see I sent the new rifle back to Ruger to have it reblued. They ended up replacing the barrel instead of bluing it and I would assume the lugs didn't match up so their repair shop must have cobbled it as it wasn't like this when I sent it in. What a joke. It looks like some kid took a dremmel tool and sloppily ground it three places around the lugs to make the bolt close.

Dose anyone else's Ruger American have grind marks on their bolt from factory?

Last Ruger rifle I'll own. Their workmanship and quality has gone down the drain.

thegatman
05-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Old Rugers are the best. New ones are cheaping out. Would not buy a new Ruger.

Tripplebeards
05-26-2017, 09:12 PM
I googled some pics of them and there are notches on the bolt in these spots from factory but they went to town on it with a dremmel. I'll probably get out my file, 1500 grit sand paper, and some mothers polish and fix it myself. By the time I send it back a second time they'll probably screw something else up.

lefty o
05-26-2017, 09:35 PM
it is really too bad, but their quality has been on a pretty good downward slide for about 10yrs now.i honestly dont think ill ever buy another new ruger.

Tripplebeards
05-26-2017, 11:04 PM
Well it took me about an hour of filing, then 200,220, and 1500 grit sandpaper and then mothers polish. I didn't pull out the dremmel and buff it to a shine but it looks 99 percent better. It cycles smoother now...of course.

Tripplebeards
05-26-2017, 11:10 PM
I guess that's what happens when you try to sell a million guns...quality goes in the toilet.

jmort
05-26-2017, 11:19 PM
That is a bottom of the line econo gun.
What level of fit and finish can Ruger afford on their cheapest models???
People are buying Ruger Americans and Savage Axis guns to save money.
The Hawkeyes I have seen look like they have a high level of fit and finish.

lefty o
05-26-2017, 11:37 PM
it sure shouldnt look like those first pictures, even if its the cheapest thing they sell.

Tripplebeards
05-26-2017, 11:37 PM
It doesn't give them a right to Half a$$ the repair job because it's their entry level rifle.
I bought it because it's the only factory bolt gun available chambered in 450 bushmaster. I paid $500 for it. I have better quality firearms I've paid a lot less for. They now have a scout version that I would have grabbed up if I knew was available before I pulled the trigger on this one. I have couple Hawkeyes, a 77/44, Ruger carbine, vaquero, and couple p89s. Seems like all the newer Rugers have been cheapened no matter what which model it is. Sad,because I really love my older ones.

jmort
05-27-2017, 12:08 AM
I have a lot of Ruger handguns. I think the 450 Bushmaster is a great round and kudos to Ruger for putting that gun out there. I have no problem with the quality of the Ruger handguns I have. New and old. I have four P89 DCs and love those guns. I have four LC9s Pros and they all are as reliable as a gun gets. Have a bunch of LCRs and love those as well. Just got a couple LCP II s and never, ever thought I would own, let alone love a .380 ACP anything. Got some Underwood 380 ACP ammo for street use and now getting set up for casting and reloading those pop guns. 250 ft lbs with a decent bullet is no joke, especially in a tiny gun. Only Ruger Long Gun I have ever owned is a 10/22. Doubt that will change.

54bore
05-27-2017, 01:12 AM
It doesn't give them a right to Half a$$ the repair job because it's their entry level rifle.

I FULLY AGREE!! I own one Ruger Revolver, a GP-100 Talo exclusive, i went with the Talo version in hopes their Quality Control would be better, i am sure glad i did! This GP-100 is really nice. I have seen MANY MANY of their standard GPs, Blackhawks, Redhawks, etc. At gun shops that i would not have settled for, piss poor fit n finish, just plain rough. The old Rugers are absolutely beautiful guns, high lustre finish, very nice fit n finish. I would GLADLY pay more for a gun like they USE to make years ago! But now days I avoid Ruger. Several years ago I bought 4 brand new Ruger Revolvers the same day, 3 of them had to be returned for repairs, A GP-100 (they replaced the barrel) A Blackhawk .30 Carbine (Wrong ejector installed from the factory) the distibutor i went through checked his inventory of the .30 Carbines after my issue and had to send a PILE of them back (30-40 of them iirc?) all had the wrong ejector. And last a SBH .44 Magnum, everytime i fired it the base pin would jump forward and obviously the Cylinder would bind up, the cut was off at the cross latch, Ruger had to recut and fit it. The only keeper was single six .22-.22 Mag convertible. These were all brand new in the box guns that i had special ordered through an FFL

Tripplebeards
05-27-2017, 07:13 AM
I FULLY AGREE!! I own one Ruger Revolver, a GP-100 Talo exclusive, i went with the Talo version in hopes their Quality Control would be better, i am sure glad i did! This GP-100 is really nice. I have seen MANY MANY of their standard GPs, Blackhawks, Redhawks, etc. At gun shops that i would not have settled for, piss poor fit n finish, just plain rough. The old Rugers are absolutely beautiful guns, high lustre finish, very nice fit n finish. I would GLADLY pay more for a gun like they USE to make years ago! But now days I avoid Ruger. Several years ago I bought 4 brand new Ruger Revolvers the same day, 3 of them had to be returned for repairs, A GP-100 (they replaced the barrel) A Blackhawk .30 Carbine (Wrong ejector installed from the factory) the distibutor i went through checked his inventory of the .30 Carbines after my issue and had to send a PILE of them back (30-40 of them iirc?) all had the wrong ejector. And last a SBH .44 Magnum, everytime i fired it the base pin would jump forward and obviously the Cylinder would bind up, the cut was off at the cross latch, Ruger had to recut and fit it. The only keeper was single six .22-.22 Mag convertible. These were all brand new in the box guns that i had special ordered through an FFL

My dad bought a New RedHawk last year that the cylinder blinded. I ground when the cylinder rotated and cylinder wouldn't line up with the barrel. If He would have fired it, it would have blown up in his hand. He took it back and traded it for a new vaquero. The vaqueros finish wasn't finished by the front sight and handle didn't fit correct and was hanging off one side on the vaquero. He accepted it in trade. I will get a talo next time around. I will have to get around to polishing it for him and replacing the grips.

Texas by God
05-27-2017, 07:36 AM
That's shoddy work on Rugers part. Looks like you cleaned it up but my gosh- you shouldn't have to. Well I hope it redeems itself in the shooting dept!
Best, Thomas.

Tripplebeards
05-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Here are some better photos after I worked on it. Not perfect but a lot cleaner look. I might get out the dremmel a polish it along with the bolt to get rid of bolt friction noise when cycling as well. I figured I'd do it myself instead of having to send it back and forth a second time. But Bluing I can't do.

ikarus1
05-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Right here is the truth. $399 gun gets high volume low effort. However when you sent it back that shouldve been addressed.

Jedman
05-27-2017, 12:02 PM
That's a lot of grinding ! It should not have taken that much to make it work right.
Ruger makes most of its parts like the bolts from investment castings and should be made to fit without any additional grinding.
That would be unexceptable to me but I don't know what you could do to get them to replace the bolt or give you a new rifle that's not cobbled up ?
I too once thought Rugers were great guns but have changed my mind over the past 20 years as I know of plenty of new Rugers that don't shoot worth a darn and you can waste a fortune in trying to get them to like something that will group well.
Sorry for your loss.

Jedman

Tripplebeards
05-27-2017, 05:46 PM
So I figured I'd continue on project now that I'm home from work. I felt the trigger grind when testing it. The trigger release has deep scratches in it causing it to bind when pulled.
It catches on the inside of the trigger and makes a grinding noise when pulling it. If ruger doesn't send me one ill guess I just have to sand and polish it too. It just keeps getting better.

Tripplebeards
05-27-2017, 08:40 PM
Well I filed,sanded,and polished the trigger release and since I had the trigger out( and I felt a little creep besides the grinding) I polished it as well.

So I then reassembled it and the release was still grinding against the side of the trigger. The pin that holds it in place is way too small in diameter. I remembered using one of my punches as a pin to take the slop out of my 77/44's trigger a few months back. I grabbed my punch set and found the correct diameter that fit tight. I cut it off and reassembled again.

Much better but as you can see there is too much slop between the release and the inside of the trigger housing giving it room to wiggle back and forth when squeezing it. It is still is rubbing against the inside trigger housing just not as much. I know there is a guy who sells bolt shims for the 77/44 and also sells smaller ones that would work in this. You can see the gap I'm referring to that is causing it to shift side to side...

Well, I have no shims so I put it back together and once aligned in the gun I was pulling the trigger straight back...the grinding and rubbing gone and the trigger is awesome! It is crisp as crisp can get. I don't have a scale but it's at or under 3lbs. I slammed the bolt a dozen times as hard as I could to make sure it would not slam fire. Problem solved and I can live with a shiny trigger release.

Blanket
05-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Ruger and quality can not be used in the same quote

jmort
05-27-2017, 11:23 PM
"Ruger and quality can not be used in the same quote"

Are you sure about that???

Texas by God
05-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Ruger and quality can not be used in the same quote
I beg to differ sir.

rockrat
05-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Getting that way though. One of the last new Ruger #1's I bought would only fire about 1/3rd of the time. Sent it back on my dime (I know better now) and got it back "fixed". Now it fires half the time. An improvement I guess.

Swapped breechblocks with another #1 and it would fire every time.

Weaponologist
05-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Yes, It's a shame. I just Ordered / bought a Talo Vaquero BirdsHead that I sent back. Finish was rough and the frame screws and the recess holes were badly chattered up. Grips had an issue also. Ruger took care of the issues but a Talo should have never came that way. I wont order another Ruger and I'll only buy what I can touch and look at first from now on.

Tripplebeards
05-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Well, I'm done playing with it and will have to figure out what optic to put on it next and get it ready to shoot. When Ruger calls me Tuesday I'm going to have them fix the vaquero that was never called in that has a huge unfinished dull spot the size of my thumb on the barrel that needs polishing and has a defective factory grip.

I have been playing with the trigger all morning have it down to about a crisp 2.0 lbs or less at the lowest setting. Since it's so light I installed the trigger release back in it( I removed it because it is still rubbing a little and was driving me nuts). I Did some mods on the spring by cutting off a quarter of the coil at a time and ended up with removing approx 1.5 coils. I've adjusted about two dozen timney triggers and one of my best buds is a gunsmith who camps out at my house over deer season to hunt my property every year and gives me free lessons. I will have him give it a once over to check my homework before I head to the range. I slammed the bolt shut about a hundred times now and dropped it straight down letting the rubber butt hit the ground from about a two foot drop for a minute straight with no slam fires. I also polished the bolt with 600 grit sandpaper and mothers polish which removed 99% of the weird American bolt zipping noise when cycling the action. I feel good about the rifle now after my mods and repairs. Now if someone would make a metal magazine for it life would be good. There's way too much room and slop in the magazine. I will bet you'll see that shooters will have chambering and feeding issues because if this. There is not enough pressure to hold the bullets in place and have already slid foward by themselves in my first time loading. I saw a YouTube video to take the magazine apart and wind the spring tighter to aid feeding issues.

Weaponologist
05-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Well, I'm done playing with it and will have to figure out what optic to put on it next and get it ready to shoot. When Ruger calls me Tuesday I'm going to have them fix the vaquero that was never called in that has a huge unfinished dull spot the size of my thumb on the barrel that needs polishing and has a defective factory grip.

I have been playing with the trigger all morning have it down to about a crisp 2 lbs or less at the lowest setting. Since it's so light I installed the trigger release back in it( I removed it because it is still rubbing a little and was driving me nuts). I Did some mods on the spring by cutting off a quarter of the coil at a time and ended up with removing approx 1.5 coils. I've adjusted about two dozen timney triggers and one of my best buds is a gunsmith who camps out at my house over deer season to hunt my property every year and gives me free lessons. I will have him give it a once over to check my homework before I head to the range. I slammed the bolt shut about a hundred times now and dropped it straight down letting the rubber butt hit the ground from about a two foot drop for a minute straight with no slam fires. I also polished the bolt with 600 grit sandpaper and mothers polish which removed 99% of the weird American bolt zipping noise when cycling the action. I feel good about the rifle now after my mods and repairs.

I understand how you feel..I've been doing Trigger Mods on all Ruger's Revolver's for years and that was the only thing needed to make them great shooters. Then the cylinder Chambers started needing honing so they would all match. These kind of issues you can't see, you have to check them once you get home but now it seems your lucky if when you open the box if it doesn't look used and abused coming straight from the wholesaler...But now that you have it like you want it should serve you well now... Good Luck..

RedJackson
05-28-2017, 04:33 PM
What is amazing is that people still pay way stupid money for these limited edition Ruger single shots. They have terrible wood, the insides are "as cast" and in useless chamberings. Why would anyone buy a #1 in 450 Bushmaster when an older one in 45-70 would probably cost less ? In the bolt guns, the same story, the tang safe guns are twice as good as the later ones.

hammer58
05-29-2017, 12:15 AM
What would you guys say to someone who is thinking about a Ruger American Predictor in 6.5 Creedmore as an entry level long range rifle?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

54bore
05-29-2017, 01:45 AM
What would you guys say to someone who is thinking about a Ruger American Predictor in 6.5 Creedmore as an entry level long range rifle?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I would buy a Howa 1500 or a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 instead. I looked at the Ruger American in 6.5 Creed, I didn't like it at all! I ended up buying the Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creed and absolutely love it!

dirkdiggler
06-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Man thats terrible

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2017, 05:50 AM
contray to what some think rugers aren't some high end brand. Ive had more quality control problems with ruger guns then all others combined. But then to be fair ive probably got more rugers then all others combined. Ive seen some rugers come out of that factory that really made me shake my head. All I can figure is the line inspectors must be allowed nap time during there shifts because some of it a blind man could have seen.

Hickory
06-01-2017, 06:28 AM
Like a good friend said once in reference to Rugers Ranch rifle, "It's the only rifle in the firearms industry that comes from the factory already worn out."

54bore
06-01-2017, 06:30 AM
contray to what some think rugers aren't some high end brand.

The old Rugers were/are. Most of The new stuff is pathetic at best

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2017, 06:57 AM
don't know about that even. The older model 77s were for the most part pathetic shooters compared to a 700 or 70. I also can give one example of a large framed older vaquero. I had the gun shop order me a 4 5/8s 45 colt and it came with the grove in the top strap cut so crooked that it went from the back right corner to the front left corner. Sent it back and they sent me a new one but how that gun got through quality control is beyond me. If anything ive found the newer production single actions better guns then the old ones. Only older rugers id ever claim to be any kind of a upper end gun were the #1s and the red labels. Even those older #1s had mixed accuracy but they were sure finished nicely and had great wood. Now I will say as far as single actions go the old 3 screw guns were fair guns. Lets not even talk about the first semi auto centerfires they made. Kind of reminded me of a 2x4 that shot bullets. shot about as well as if you used that 2x4 to bat bullets downrange too.

dragon813gt
06-01-2017, 07:57 AM
I wont order another Ruger and I'll only buy what I can touch and look at first from now on.

This is my feeling as well. And it's a shame because I own more Rugers than any other brand by a large margin. I understand they are built to a price point. This is perfectly acceptable. I'm choosing to not buy unless I can inspect it first.

The straw that broke the camel's back wasn't a quality issue. It's a design issue. Bought a RAR in 300 BLK. It has no iron sights yet has a stock comb designed for them. I know most don't take issue w/ this but I do. Put a proper stock or put irons on it.

I'm sure Ruger will get some of my money in the future. But I'm a lot more selective then I used to be.

jmort
06-01-2017, 08:44 AM
I have zero issues with my LC9s Pros, LCRs, and LCP IIs.
No issuses with my Blackhawks, but they always get tuned.
Ruger .357 Redhawks, no problems
I have a GP100 waiting to get tuned.
Ruger American pistols, no problems
I really don't have any problems with any of these handguns
I own zero Ruger rifles
I have no doubt there are problems there
I love my Ruger handguns
Bet your life reliable, for me at least

tazman
06-01-2017, 09:07 AM
I have owned many Ruger firearms over the years, both rifle and handgun. The only Ruger I currently own is a MarkII competition in 22LR.
For me, they just haven't worked well. Accuracy and function problems.
There is one Ruger rifle I wish I had back. It was a stainless 77/22 from the second year of production and was superbly accurate. It left along with many other guns when the wife got sick.

ikarus1
06-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Have several Ruger firearms, rifles and pistols from different eras and have nothing but good experiences. However i have heard of issues with the AR-556 and steel ammo. Every company has their issues, esp one that is leading the sector for years now in sales and new products

54bore
06-01-2017, 10:32 AM
don't know about that even. The older model 77s were for the most part pathetic shooters compared to a 700 or 70. I also can give one example of a large framed older vaquero. I had the gun shop order me a 4 5/8s 45 colt and it came with the grove in the top strap cut so crooked that it went from the back right corner to the front left corner. Sent it back and they sent me a new one but how that gun got through quality control is beyond me. If anything ive found the newer production single actions better guns then the old ones. Only older rugers id ever claim to be any kind of a upper end gun were the #1s and the red labels. Even those older #1s had mixed accuracy but they were sure finished nicely and had great wood. Now I will say as far as single actions go the old 3 screw guns were fair guns. Lets not even talk about the first semi auto centerfires they made. Kind of reminded me of a 2x4 that shot bullets. shot about as well as if you used that 2x4 to bat bullets downrange too.

I never have liked their rifles, NONE of them. But the old 3 Screw revolvers i always felt were VERY nice solid old guns

Weaponologist
06-01-2017, 12:00 PM
contray to what some think rugers aren't some high end brand. Ive had more quality control problems with ruger guns then all others combined. But then to be fair ive probably got more rugers then all others combined. Ive seen some rugers come out of that factory that really made me shake my head. All I can figure is the line inspectors must be allowed nap time during there shifts because some of it a blind man could have seen.

Hahaha, This is what I'm talking about. I always Tune my Ruger Revolvers and you would be surprised how many times I've cracked one open and had Polishing cone peace's fall out.... On one Vaquero I thought I had a broken spring because I couldn't cock the hammer but it was a large peace of cone stuck in the frame.... The Polishing Cones are used in a large vat where all the frames are Vibrated and cast lines polished away. This system is used a lot in the firearm production game I hear.. But like most of you I believe I find more problems because I buy more Rugers but it has gotten worse over the years...

Texas by God
06-01-2017, 06:45 PM
I've not had to send a Ruger back; and most of the ones I've owned I bought used. I have seen tool marks and such but every single one Worked. But based on this thread I'll have the 2X readers on before I buy a new one.
Best, Thomas.

Tripplebeards
06-02-2017, 06:31 PM
I had to call them back again after sending the follow up email. Probably too embarrassed to return my call. I told them I fixed the issues myself and asked to send the vaquero in for repair instead. It's going back Monday

54bore
06-02-2017, 07:14 PM
But based on this thread I'll have the 2X readers on before I buy a new one.
Best, Thomas.

Good idea!! Ive seen several in shops that i would NOT have settled for! I was looking at a Super Redhawk several years ago in a BIG gun store (Kesselrings Gun Shop) I cocked the hammer etc. just feeling the gun, when i went to lower the hammer it had a real noticeable catch/drag spot about halfway through, i tried it several times and it seemed to get worse, i handed it over to the Shop Owner and he messed with it, did the same with him, He was absolutely disgusted over it. Next time i seen him i asked about that Gun? He said he sent it back to them. Pathetic when something like that can make it out the door

kmrra
06-04-2017, 11:07 AM
I have read numerous reviews on many different Ruger firearms in the last year or so and 90 % of them are not good. You would think that the CEO or Ruger would read these reviews and get the idea, but I guess that it doesn't matter to them. But then again most everything made today is made cheaply not like it was many many moons ago.

troyboy
06-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Seems like QC slips from time to time with all manufacturers. Keep an open mind.

tdoyka
06-07-2017, 04:26 PM
i own two rugers. one is a #1 in 270win (1973 i believe that was the date) and a super blawkhawk in 44 mag(2016). they both are good. my #1 has to be the most accurate factory rifle. (the most accurate custom rifle is a tc encore in 20 vartarg) i do like the sbh, blued and rosewood grips and it shoots straight as i can get it.

the ruger american i won't buy, of course i don't like the savage axis, remington 783, tc venture, ..you know, the low priced guns. i just don't like plastic on my rifles. wood and blued for me.

Forrest r
06-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Used to be a huge ruger fan, quit buying anything ruger 20 years ago.

I blame the people that buy the rugers more than the company themselves. It started out with:
All's I have to do is a simply trigger job & change some springs.
Then it became triggers and a little cylinder work.
Then 8 million+ aftermarket parts came out so the grips and sights had to go.

Ruger ain't stupid and saw this and they love every minute of it!!! Got to the point they didn't care what they put out. People would buy their products, put the ruger logo up on blocks & fix/slide parts into them until they got them to be just as good as A/B/ or C firearm.

What your seeing is the end result of this. Don't think so??? Do a simple search, I bet there's over 1000 posts in the last 5 years on this website where people talk about either having to do trigger mods/have done trigger mods/how to do trigger mods/where to get parts for their trigger mods for their rugers. That isn't even counting simple things like cylinders/sights/grips/stocks/bolts/etc.

Ruger sees the countless 1000's of posts of people that are more than happy to do their own finish work on their rugers. Well I guess people have to draw the line somewhere. The trend the last decade seems to be fixing 3 things is ok but 5 things are just too much. Perhaps if all the people that did their own fixes/tweaks/mods would of simply sent their firearms back to ruger 20 years ago. Ruger would still be putting out quality firearms.

I don't buy a lot of new firearms but I do when I either change my shooting habits or if I wear a firearm out and want a replacement. In the last 4 years I've bought:
2 springfield range officres, 1 in 9mm & the other in 45acp. Well over 15,000+ rounds thru both of them with no issues. I've used 6 or 7 different brands of mags & at least 30+ different bullets/loads. With no mods they hold the x-ring (10-shot group) on 50ft nra targets. No trips back to springfield, no mods/tweaks/tinkering. Box stock and they go bang when I hit the loud button.
A taurus pt111/compact 9mm. Again no issues in 5,000+ rounds using 10+ different bullets loads. No trips back to taurus, no mods/tweaks/tinkering. Box stock and they go bang when I hit the loud button.
2 savage axis rifles, 1 in 223 & the other in 308. Bought them to test my home swaged bullets in. Was picking them up for $299 + tax with a $50 mail in rebate. Haven't gotten around to shooting the 308 yet. But the savage axis/233 with no mods/tweaks/nada. Just as it came out of the box (heck it has an adjustable trigger and I've never even bothered to touch it/I shoot it at whatever came out of the factory) using mixed range brass, free 22lr cases/free lead/home swaged bullets. I've had no trouble finding moa loads for that savage axis. Over 1000+ rounds down the tube with no issues. No trips back to savage, no mods/tweaks/tinkering. Box stock and they go bang when I hit the loud button.
PSA armory kit 16" mid-length ar. Wanted another cheap 223 to see how it handles free mixed brass/free bullets. Bought an anderson lower & $400 later ($20 for carry handle rear sight) the el-cheapo psa ar-15 was up and running. Everyone said they are a 2 moa ar, i wanted to see for myself. So far with mixed brass and my free home swaged bullets I'm getting 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" groups with reloads it likes. I only have 2000+ rounds down the tube so far but the el-cheapo psa kit ar has run flawlessly with 3 different mag mfg's and several brands of factory ammo along with my reloads. No trips back to PSA, no mods/tweaks/tinkering. Box stock and they go bang when I hit the loud button.
S&W 686, wanted another l-frame, took 27 to shoot out the bbl on my last one. Had 275,000+ rounds down the tube of the 586 I bought in 1987. The bbl finely gave up the ghost & was getting 50+fps less for the same loads I was using a decade earlier. Put a new bbl & cylinder on that 586 and sold it for $400 and put the $$$ towards a new 686. Everyone complains about the hillary hole, bad bbl's/glued in bbl's/etc. Figured I buy a 686 and see for myself. I've put 10,000+ rounds down the tube of the 686 I bought 2 years ago. It's never seen a factory load but has seen 20+ different bullets loaded from mild to wild in 38spl and 357 cases. I shoot that 686 box stock and it flat out shoots. It's gone bang every time I've hit the loud button with my reloads & ww/cci/federal/s&b primers. No trips back to s&w, no mods/tweaks/tinkering. Box stock and they go bang when I hit the loud button.

I've showed these targets before, they are not hand/cherry picked by any means. They are the actual target used when I was testing loads for that 686. This is how that 686 shoots straight out of the box, no tweaks/mods/didn't even play with the strain screw.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/keepers_zpsrmfa629l.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/keepers_zpsrmfa629l.jpg.html)

That's 6 firearms in the last 4 years (actually 7 but I haven't used/shot the savage axis 308) from 5 different mfg's and no issues. Accuracy in 3 of the pistols was to be expected (the 2 nm ro's and the s&w 686) and they preformed as expected/advertised. The 2 el-cheapo 223 rifles did better then expected using nothing more the cheap/free home made blammo ammo. And the taurus does surprisingly well and has a bunch of features for a $200 compact 9mm.

Myself when I buy a firearm it either functions flawlessly or it's going back. I don't buy firearms to work on them to make them right/tight or to get them to function. If a firearm I buy is supposed to be match grade the it better be match grade right out of the box or it's going back. I have $700 in one nm ro and $750 in the other, springfield put the nm on them & that's just what I expect from them right out of the box. The cheap 223 were a surprise!!! Not because they actually functioned flawlessly but I never expected that kind of accuracy out of them.

Anyway, used to be a huge ruger fan and quit buying them in the late 90's. I saw the writing on the wall then and it's only getting/gotten worse. I truly wish they'd get their act together. But at the end of the day it starts with the people allowing them to get away with putting out firearms with issues. Every time you fix 1 yourself it's telling them they can put another firearm in the same condition out the door. If they sold 5,000,000 firearms last year and got 1,000,000 back they would change their quality control practices and I'd have a pile of rugers again.

I chose that taurus pt111 over a ruger for a reason.

jmort
06-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Taurus puts out so much junk after being burned twice, never again.
Is Ruger now on par with Taurus, I don't know.
I have a lot of newer production Ruger handguns and zero problems
LCRs, LCP IIS, LC9s Pros. Zero problems and in fact bet your life dependability. The LC9s eat anything.
I don't doubt that many of their new product lines blow.
I own zero Ruger rifles so that may help me
My last two Blackhawks were sent out to the best SASS gunsmiths and tuned to perfection. So they may have "fixed" the factory defects. My GP100 is on its way out the door to be tuned.
So from where I sit Ruger is a mixed bag, but I will never buy another Taurus, ever, never.
My experience with Ruger Customer service has been good on an "old" Vaquero which I then got tuned, and the Customer service from Taurus is non-existant.
So far my two new Redhawks run just fine. Then are also going out to get tuned.
I got a lot of Ruger handguns. They may be project guns from the factory.
I will put up any of my LC9s Pros against any of the current compact single-stacks both on accuracy and on reliability.

Forrest r
06-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Well that didn't take long as usual. Another ruger/junk trigger post (#5). I'm sure there'll be another one coming up in a day or 2.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?336444-Recall-on-Ruger-Mark-IV-pistols

buckshotshoey
06-10-2017, 11:14 AM
On revolvers maybe. But the SR9C has a world class trigger for a defense gun.

Drm50
06-10-2017, 11:47 AM
I use to be a Ruger cheerleader. I bought many Ruger SA revolvers (3screw) when new model came out I bought one and that was my last. I bought 10/22s, 44 carbine, 77/22, 77s, #1, #3
and 22 autos. Never had a problem with any of them. The 77/22 was the last new one I bought
for myself. This was when they were first out in 80s. Same with 77 in 270, and 1&3s. I still have
most of these older Rugers and I will buy old model guns used. I am no longer a Ruger customer
or cheerleader. Bill Ruger is probably twisting in his grave over some of the **** that makes it on
the market.

ikarus1
06-10-2017, 12:14 PM
On revolvers maybe. But the SR9C has a world class trigger for a defense gun.
Same as the 40c. Mine had a superb trigger, but I traded it for a J frame 637

Oklahoma Rebel
06-22-2017, 02:55 PM
what about the new superblackhawks? I am close to getting one. it will be a bisley model in 44mag, should I be worried about this kind of thing? I am going to get it on gun broker, because of the savings, what happens if I get it and theres something wrong, does gun broker do anything or would I send it to ruger. oh, I will be buying it new in box.

shoot-n-lead
06-22-2017, 03:25 PM
I have more Ruger guns than any other brand...I have always liked them BUT, their quality control has gone to the dogs. As of today, I have had problems with 3 new Ruger revolvers in the last 3 years...they locked up, in the lockwork not at the barrel/cylinder...so, when it comes to Ruger guns, I am "gun shy", now...probably won't buy another new Ruger.

I guess this serves me right...said I would never buy another Ruger after that turncoat, Bill Ruger, tried to throw us under the bus, back in the 80's...should have kept my promise to myself.

At any rate, I am pretty much done with them.