PDA

View Full Version : Lee adjustible disc

abunaitoo
05-26-2017, 05:48 PM
I use the double disc to load for rifle.
I sometimes find I can't get the correct combination to get the load I want.
For the single disc, Lee makes an adjustable Charge bar.
It has a screw to move a slide to adjust the opening.
Does anyone make an adjustable double disc ??????.

NyFirefighter357
05-26-2017, 06:11 PM
I've seen two mods. one is double stacked charger bars and the second is to drill and tap a disc and use a set screw to adjust the powder charge the disk throws. Google Lee auto disc mods you may want to search you tube as well.

ikarus1
05-26-2017, 06:38 PM
And it still wont work as well as an autodrum

Bzcraig
05-26-2017, 10:52 PM
The auto drum is the way to go and it's not expensive. Failing that, I've tried both methods NYFirefighter mentioned with limited success. The other thing I tried was to purchase a second set of discs, epoxied holes, and starting with small numbered drills, drilling holes until I got what was close to what I was shooting for. So, after buying the adjustable one, the extra discs, and
epoxy​, it would've been cheaper to buy the auto drum.

trails4u
05-26-2017, 11:20 PM
I've had great success drilling through the sides of the cavities and using the set screws. Only advice I would offer going this route would be to smooth and taper the screw as it protrudes into the cavity so powder flows easily around it. I've used this with single disks for loading .380, and have also used it doubled up to attempt really refining a larger powder load. I'll say.....not as easy as the drum, but I was able to get accurate and repeatable results with flake or ball powders. Never tried it with any stick powders...

abunaitoo
05-27-2017, 04:35 PM
I've done the "small disc, big disc" and found the drop is not as consistent.
I may try the screw mod.
Any suggestions on what size screw to try????

trails4u
05-27-2017, 08:59 PM
I used machine screws....pretty good size, probably 1/8-3/16 sized, depending on what cavity I was trying to refine. The trick (I found) was leaving quite a bit of meat at the edge of the cavity, and then tapering the screw down as it protrudes into the cavity. This seemed to give me the greatest range and ease of adjustment. I also set my screws toward the top of the cavity, and tried to hit volumes that wouldn't require me to run the screw in super deep, so as to obstruct the flow of powder into the cavity. I screwed up a few getting it to work well......but it did work pretty well in the end.