PDA

View Full Version : Pulling pistol boolits. Need ADVISE

pjames32
05-26-2017, 12:41 PM
I picked up 500rds of 10mm loads. They are way over the current published max! I need to pull the boolits. 180gr TC cast. Inertia puller will take forever (I pulled 2). What is my best alternative? Thinking maybe Hornady that mounts in a press. These are on new brass. I'm not worried about salvaging the boolits. ADVISE please.

Boolit_Head
05-26-2017, 12:50 PM
I am in the same boat with some 45 acp loads that have some squibs mixed in. I've tried the RCBS puller but it does not work well on lead bullets. It appears the inertia puller is the best tool for the job. You can however use a shell holder in place of the collet to hold the base in the inertia puller.

Dan Cash
05-26-2017, 01:17 PM
If your press will raise the bullet above the frame, remove any die and raise the ram so that the bullet is exposed above the press frame, (you may need a shell holder extension). A cheap wire stripping/crimping tool will grip the bullet as you lower the ram. I modified a stripper so that both jaws are sharpend; They will pull truncated cone bullets out of .45s in short order.

pjames32
05-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Thanks Dan. I'll give it a try!

Grmps
05-26-2017, 01:57 PM
I got a pair of cheap wire strippers and drilled a hole a little smaller than the bullet in the middle of the bank of stripper holes. Seeing you're doing pistol bullets you'll need a piece of pipe/tubing to put around your ram that is more than a case length taller than the ram in the down position.
Put the cartridge in the shell plate, raise the ram until the brass is even with the top of the pipe, grab with your modified wire strippers and lower ram.... The rest is history

country gent
05-26-2017, 02:18 PM
If you don't want to salvage the bullets the wire strippers work very weel and the 1" conduit over the ram saves on travel and speeds it up a lot. I have used 1" steel conduit 1" - 1 1/2" taller than the bullet in the shell holder to pull bullets like this also. raise ram up insert round and grip with side cutters, wire strippers or end cutters and pull down on ram to pull bullets

Kevin Rohrer
05-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Inertia is the only practical way. The other kind doesn't work well with lead.

Inertia bullet pullers are made for small children. Rent one if you don't have any.

pjames32
05-26-2017, 02:27 PM
I do have an old pair of "dykes" in my scrap iron that are too dull for wire. Guess I'll sharpen them up for one more use. Thanks for the great ideas!

mozeppa
05-26-2017, 02:35 PM
i did 40,000 rounds of various calibers over the winter with a inertia hammer....i must be a small children.:-(

Eddie17
05-26-2017, 05:27 PM
50 or so at a sitting with the inertia hammer. Get it done in my book.

pjames32
05-26-2017, 07:40 PM
I'll be trying a pair of dykes and/or a wire cutter next week. If that fails I'll use my inertia puller. Thanks for all the input. The boolits are supposed to be linotype so I will salvage the boolits to my lino supply.