PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-26-2017, 06:47 AM
And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

—Acts 2:47

In our culture, we tend to think bigger is better, and we apply that thinking to the church as well. We think the bigger the church, the more successful it is. But that isn’t necessarily true.

You can have a big church yet not have a strong one, because there are a lot of things people can do to draw a crowd. So it isn’t only about being big; it is about being strong. And it is about being biblical.

Then there are those who are critical of large churches. “I hate these megachurches,” they say. “You go in there, and you have to wait for parking.” But let’s think about this for a moment. It would be like saying, “There are two restaurants we can choose from. There is this one restaurant with a line around the block. And there is this other restaurant with no one inside except the employees. Where do you think we should eat?”

Did you ever stop and think that maybe there’s a reason one of those restaurants is empty? Maybe the food in the other place is better than the place without any customers.

Sometimes a large church or a lot of people can mean there is something they are getting out of it. It can mean they are being fed there. My objective never has been to have a large church; it always has been to have a biblical church and a strong church. We always have felt that we should leave the growth up to God. In and of itself, there is no virtue in being small.

Not every church will be a large church, but every church should be a growing church. The objective of the church is to be as faithful as we can be to what God has called us to be. Because on that final day, Jesus won’t say, “Well done, good and successful servant. By the way, how many numbers were you running?”

Rather, He’ll say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

WRideout
05-26-2017, 07:09 AM
The church is, of course, not a building with red doors, but the assembly of all believers. A small faithful group can do much more than a large group that is being entertained.

Wayne

GhostHawk
05-26-2017, 07:48 AM
I have no dog in this fight. Me and churches, well lets just say we have history and some of it is not good. So I washed my hands of them, shook the dust off my feet and put them in my rear view mirror.

And did no one any good, not me, not them, not anyone else.

If you are in a church, FIGHT for it.
Get active, get involved.

I truly believe that Satan thinks he is winning this battle, because he has managed to turn Christ's church into the painted ***** of Babylon.

The United States of America needs redemption, needs revival. How does that happen without a church? Without that revival I expect to see the wrath of God visiting our country. Yeah, like Sodom and Gomorrah.

So yes, please join a church that fits you, get active, get involved. And get Right with the Lord and keep his church right also.

USMC87
05-26-2017, 08:27 AM
I agree and can say that it is GOD who directs all things and adds as He sees fit.

Boaz
05-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Thank you rl69 . Size of the church matters little it's what you receive or give back . Don't worry about anything else . You are there to learn , serve and encourage as you worship GOD .

Bzcraig
05-26-2017, 11:17 PM
Have attended both, largest 5k+, smallest, 60 including kids......learned in both. When I was working on my theology degree I was required to read a book authored by a man I consider a hireling, false teacher and heretic. I stressed out and was willing to take a failing grade on the project in protest. Though not audibly, but certainly clearly the Lord said to me, "even if you learn what not to do, you will learn" so I read the book and completed the project.

Pine Baron
05-27-2017, 07:22 AM
"even if you learn what not to do, you will learn"

Thanks BZ, excellent outlook.

Blackwater
05-29-2017, 04:26 PM
A lot of much needed wisdom there, RL. Great post! It's true, that not all "maga churches" are less than Christian, and not all small churches are great. But Christ is there to be found by anyone who'll simply listen, in all of them. Christ and God often use flawed people to achieve His ends. The REAL question about churches is whether they are providing a message that Christ would approve of. We have many denominations in the Christian churches, and all stress something more than others, and I have LONG thought that this was an error on our part.

I'm Baptist, but I've found much wisdom in Catholic theology. At least they have clearcut interpretations, and that gives a great starting point, if nothing else. And just about all of their theology, properly understood, interlocks with the rest of their theology very well. And their theology is compiled by some very knowledgeable and educated people who've spent years, much of the time, in considering and trying to discern what the messages were that Christ intended for us to get out of the scriptures. Few other sects of Christianity are quite as clearly defined as theirs. But I'll be a Baptist to my dying day, I think, simply because I don't care about the opinions of others, and believe that only my own personal reading and consideration of the scriptures and commentary CAN reveal to me what the real message is God is sending to me. I think this is one of the reasons He advised us to "Study to show thyself approved?" Just MHO, and I'm willing to listen to anyone, but in the end, it's each of us individually who must make the decision of what to believe and what to question. And I have no problem with those who see things differently from me. How can I learn from anyone who sees everything exactly as I do??? If I'm to learn, it REQUIRES me to listen to the other folks, and at least consider what they're saying. I've found new and good ideas doing this, so .... I guess I'll continue. And when I post a thought I have, it's as much to see if it'll hold water as it is a real, deep conviction. I DO have convictions, but when it comes to the trappings of theology, I like to listen more than I like to speak. And I DO listen! And I remember. I've found that sometimes, I have to reach a certain point before I really, truly understand what I had previously not understood well.

We all learn so slowly, I think. Maybe that's to keep us humble, and searching? If you've found all the answers, you're a lot smarter than I am, and I am not ashamed to admit it at all!