PDA

View Full Version : Scope or Holo Sight

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
07-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I currently have a Leupold 2.5x8 x32 VXIII hangun scope on my 460. I have long arms and just cant get used to it. Seems like the ideal spot is around 18 inches @ 2.5 power and just shortens as you go up in power. I need to extend 22-23 or so. If I put it where I have to it just doesnt feel right.

Ok how does the holo sights work and do you think I will be better off using one? I will be using this gun for hunting. If so which one would you recommend?

odoh
07-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Apparently ER changes w/power setting, you have already a carry method to accomodate the scope and would suggest not to give up, yet ~ take a look at the bushnells. The Trophy and Elite 3200. Mine has plenty of relief @ 2 ~ apprx 4.5 X. I can't see much need for more power on a handgun as it magnifys movement and adversely impacts confidence.

If that won't meet your requirements, I'd suggest a red dot of not larger than 4moa. Good ones include UltraDot (see larrysguns.com) and JPoint. The UD comes w/lifetime warranty and is waterproof ~ still made in Japan not China/Malaysia. Others will state 1 or 2 yrs limited and sorta, kinda water resistant. The small open RDs are gaining in favor/popularity but keep in mind, in general one gets what they pay for.

I'm finding irons to be too busy aligning analizing double chkg as my eyes age and scopes, while nice to mitigate recoil somewhat, red dots are creeping into my inventory.

NSP64
07-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I have a RD scope on both my .44's I have looked at halo designs, but have wondered about how they would hold up to bangin in the woods.

mike in co
07-21-2008, 12:18 AM
aim point....i shoot my super red hawk in competiton and my aim point has never failed( did forget to check the cross bolts and it did loosen).
you can get no power(1x) or 2x. very easy to shoot,point, hold.

the latest and greatest aim point will go YEARS without replacing the batt.

i have another on an nra action pistol(9mm cz85).

and another on an ar-15 three gun rifle.a 2x....

do you get the impression i like these ?

mike in co

Three44s
07-21-2008, 01:21 AM
I have two Bushy Holosights.

They are my favorites.

I own a Nikon 1.5 - 4.5 power pistol scope ...... and have not gotten along with it.

With rifle scopes ....... I am more than fine but on a handgun ....... it's a different story.

My recommendation with handgun scopes is to start one out with a .22 Lr gun and shoot the heck out of it ...... first ........ once you get the kinks out of your repetoire ....... move it to your hunting hand gun.

Both of my Holosights use the pesky little "N" type batteries ......... a bummer compared to the AA battery models. The AA sight is longer but the battery life and cheap plentiful nature of those batteries make it the best by FAR!

EOTech makes an even better sight ....... more bucks ....... but better auto shut down, etc.

With reasonable use on HEAVY kicking guns ..... the Bushy is tough enough ...... but EOTech is still better in that regard as well.

One final thought: ...... when you sight in and hunt with these sights ....... shoot the same way at all times. If you sight in with both eyes open ...... the best way in my opinion .... then HUNT that way! ...... If you sight in with one eye open ..... then likewise ..... hunt that way.

With my Ruger Redhawk wearing a holosight ...... it's no sweat hitting golf balls @ 35 yds with an improvised rest.

For precise shooting the holosights work best with the LEAST amount of brightness ..... thus making the center dot appear at it's smallest.

Three 44s

bobthenailer
07-23-2008, 07:37 AM
for me personaly i can shoot a red dot off hand better than a scope off hand , if your intrested i have a nikon silver pistol scope 2.5 X 8 with the fast focus eye piece so you can adj the eye relife with a twist of the eye piece so it also can also be used on a rifle in the scout/ forward position . this is brand new in the box $225.00 + shipping they sell new for $300.00. for hard kicking handguns with red dots, i would only recommend aimpoint
send a PM

44man
07-23-2008, 09:17 AM
The Aimpoints are good but more expensive then Ultra Dots. I called Magnum Research after breaking all kinds of stuff on my .475 and they use Ultra Dots.
I called Bushnel about the Holo sight and they said it would fail with heavy recoil from the .475.
Any kind of scope is out for me when I hunt. They are all too dark early and late plus are hard to shoot off hand. The red dot is wonderful!
I would call the company first for any red dot or holo sight for a hard kicker.

odoh
07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
EOTechs tend to be pricey also ~ more importantly, they're huge (kind using AA batts) which helps tame recoil and present a carry situation as does anything other than iron sights would. However, recticle is grainy ~ seen soviet surplus w/better. Still haven't used/mounted my 512 ~ thinking of sending it to EBay instead ~ Ultra Dots have been good to me.

Dale53
07-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Because of vision problems (old age and glaucoma) after two eye surgeries I have about 50% vision in my right eye (original lenses in both eyes replaced with artificial lenses). I have several scoped pistols and it was getting increasingly difficult to separate the black reticule from the black bullseye. Then I discovered Red Dots. I have several different types, sizes and brands (on more than a half dozen revolvers and autos). The Ultra Dot is excellent on all. The Simmons 30mm (I would now use nothing but 30mm for the greater field of view if I could start over). The Simmons is good up to .44 magnum but is not recommended for anything with more recoil (like the .454 Casull for example). This information was direct from the Simmons Tech people at the NRA Convention.

I have several Bushnell Trophy Red Dots and they work just fine (1" body) but have not been used on the heavy hitters (.22, .32, and .45 ACP Revolvers, only).

I would not see a problem with using the Simmons and Ultra Dots on anything up to and including the .44 magnum. The Ultra Dot will probably work just fine on my Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull but have not tried yet. I'll get to that soon.

I have become a Red Dot fan in the past year. Using them, in spite of my vision problems, I am shooting as well as I ever did. I would rate my level of skill at NRA Bullseye as a high Expert (not quite master class) if that makes any difference. I shoot this level with everything up to and including a TC .375 JDJ. I was a Master Class Big Bore Rifleman and Smallbore Rifleman before my ruptured discs made me stop. I only mention this to qualify my ability to discuss this issue with some authority.

Dale53

kingstrider
07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
I currently have a Leupold 2.5x8 x32 VXIII hangun scope on my 460. I have long arms and just cant get used to it. Seems like the ideal spot is around 18 inches @ 2.5 power and just shortens as you go up in power. I need to extend 22-23 or so. If I put it where I have to it just doesnt feel right.

Ah, that's the rub about using a variable powered handgun scope! Variable power = variable eye relief.

I have both red dots and scopes on my handguns and each has its own merits. For target shooting, a red dot is hard to beat and you don't have to worry about eye relief. And for squirrel hunting, it is hard to beat a red dot for fast target acquisition and picking them out against a dark background.

But cold weather on a hunt can zap batteries fairly quickly and the last thing I want to think about in my deer stand is "Oh my red dot is getting weak". Yes I've had that happen which is why I lean more towards scopes on all my hunting weapons.

I also find that variable handgun scopes are a waste of money and features as I typically only use the lower power settings when hunting. Sure they are great for bench work and getting out there from a rest, but in the field I find the extra bulk and weight is a disadvantage.

For typical handgun ranges in the field I have found that a fixed 2X or 4X scope is all I need. I'm 6'0" tall with long arms and also need plenty of eye relief. I'm very partial to Leupolds but there are many other good fixed power scopes on the market. And don't forget used scopes either. One of the best values out there is the discontinued Leupold M8-2X which I often encounter for $100-150.

Again each type has its own merits but ultimately you need to decide what is best for your intended uses and make a compromise to suit your own needs.

Whitworth
07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't turn my red dot on until it is potentially time to use it -- cuts down on battery wear, and I always carry a couple of batteries with me and with the Ultradots it is quite an easy task to change batteries in the field if need be.

My Ultradot 30 has withstood a tremendous beating on my custom .475 Linebaugh SRH, so I know for a fact that it can handle the lighter beating of the .454. I would buy one and never look back.........

crabo
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I have the same Luepold as you do. I can not shoot that scope well offhand. I only use it for testing loads. I put an Ultra dot on my .44 and it makes all the difference in the world.

I don't know how your gun is set up, but where I put the optics on mine makes a huge difference in the way the gun handles. I have a PC 44 and for years I wanted to build a heavy barrel revolver with the sight base machined into the barrel. I thought that would mount the scope closer to the bore. When I saw this gun, I was excited because S&W did it for me. The problem is that it puts the balance way off when you mount it on the barrel. I bought a Weigand scope mount and moved it back over the cylinder and now the balance is restored.

I really like the UltraDot 4. You have a choice of 4 different dot sizes. Use the larger dot for quick up close shooting and the smaller ones for long range. To me, the holo sights seem to have too much junk in the reticle. I like just a simple adjustable dot.

Also remember that you shoot a pistol with optics like you do iron sights. You focus on the target, lock your wrist and grip, and bring the scope into your line of sight. The red dot is cool because nothing ever changes. You focus on the target, the dot appears, and you pull the trigger.

Crabo

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Do they make the Ultradot with a 2 moa reticle or smaller? Are they available with magnification?

45 2.1
07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.ultradotwest.com/index.htm

odoh
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes, the UD Match Dot comes w/selectable 2moa and up. Take a look @ larrysguns.com.

As for magnification ~ UDs don't. Those few that do don't have rave reviews. I've found w/the HS and RD that w/o magnification, everything is on the same focalplane and shoot w/both eyes open w/o even being aware of it. Thats to say, no magnification is an advantage for me anyway ~

Dale53
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
No doubt, you may shoot smaller groups from a rest with a high (6 power or higher) power pistol scope. However, in the real world of hunting or target shooting, using the revolver without a rest or with a makeshift rest, you can do EXCELLENT work with a Red Dot with NO magification. You have definite advantages of having the revolver move normally without emphasizing the movement with magnification.

The typical Red Dot "watch type batteries" can be found at "Battery Bob's" for slightly more than a dollar bought in quantity. Cost really becomes a "no concern" situation:

http://www.batterybob.com/category.asp?cat=9024

I last bought the 15+2= 17 batteries for $19.50 shipped! That is a total of$1.15 per battery. My only problem is I have, on occasion, left the battery on for several days. At $1.15 with some spares on hand, I still try hard to remember but if I forget, the solution is at hand...

Dale53

buckndee
07-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Dale53 for the battery link. Just ordered a double batch of CR2032 for my 3 ultradots. Love ultradot sights when I can remember to turn them off after shooting. I keep extra batteries in my hunting kit and pistol bags just in case CRS sets in.