PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-24-2017, 06:40 AM
And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.—Matthew 16:18 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=1d715d01ef&e=3dd732485b)I know it is very easy to be critical of the church today, and granted, there are a lot of things wrong with it. But don’t forget this: When Jesus Christ walked this earth, He started only one organization, and it is called the church. And He said, “The gates of Hades shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://6)).

Some might say, “Yeah, but there are a lot of hypocrites in the church.”

Guess what? That isn’t new. There were hypocrites in the first-century church as well. In fact, one of our Lord’s handpicked disciples turned out to be a hypocrite. So yes, hypocrites and hypocrisy are nothing new. That is not to even mention that in the early church, there were rivalries, heresies, and some flat-out immorality.

Jesus told an interesting parable that we call the parable of the wheat and tares. In this story, He talks about a farmer who goes and sows wheat in his field, and at night his enemy comes in and sows tares, or weeds, among the wheat. Now the tares Jesus was describing are also known as darnel seeds, which look exactly like wheat initially and even through the growth process. But in the end, the darnel, or the tare, uproots the wheat. Jesus was saying, “You’re going to have the fake right next to the real, the counterfeit right next to the genuine.” The tares and the wheat will grow together, and we won’t necessarily know who is who and what is what until that final day.

Yes, there will be hypocrites among us. Only God knows who they are. But let’s also remember that every one of us has moments of hypocrisy. What we need to concern ourselves with is whether we are hypocrites and whether we are living godly lives.

USMC87
05-24-2017, 08:12 AM
A great lesson, I hear the same from people I witness to.

GhostHawk
05-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Good lession RL.

Ickisrulz
05-25-2017, 12:53 PM
The Parable of the Mustard seed has been interpreted in a couple ways. One is that the mustard seed grows abnormally large and becomes a haven for the "birds." Jesus used an image of the birds prior to this parable (i.e., The Sower) to show Satan stealing the word from peoples' hearts. The idea is that the Church seems much larger than it really is since it is populated with some who are not Christians and do Satan's work. These people take refuge among Christians in the Church.

In the parable in the OP notice the "Gates of Hell shall not prevail against the Church." Gates are stationary and the Church is on the attack.

Boaz
05-25-2017, 01:13 PM
A good lesson and reminder . Thank you rl69 !

Blackwater
05-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Thanks, RL. What a great lesson. Many in the Church(s) are quick to condemn others, but Christ also had that parable about those who complain about a mote in their eyes, when the speaker has a log in their own eyes! Our job, other than bringing in others, is to clean up around our OWN front doorsteps, and if anyone has found that easy, please step forward, and let us mere mortals see what you look like! And it's a lifetime job, because Satan never rests as long as we have breath in us, and he puts all manner of temptations in our paths, hoping to snare us or at least retard us, with these efforts.

I've got plenty to do trying to keep my own "yard" clean! And we CAN help each other if we "study to show thyself approved," as Christ instructed us to do. But even there, it's hard to separate the wheat and the tares, for many try to find the "easy answers," or the "milk," while others want and seek the "meat." And we have to work out way through all that, somehow, to find real comfort and solace and wisdom in the words of the Bible. And nobody CAN do it for us. Even with the best commentary, we STILL have to really mull it all over to let it "sink in" and become part of us. With the busy schedules we have today, there's not unlimited time to do all that, but NOBODY is so busy that they can't devote some time, especially during the day when we see something that inspires us or reminds us of a passage. And there's no end to it, either. I'll be seeking until my last breath, and actually, I'm thankful for that. Only a REAL God COULD produce a book THAT absorbing and pregnant with all sorts of things we want and need to know. What a wonderful Lord we serve!