PDA

View Full Version : New Henry Rifle

megasupermagnum
05-24-2017, 01:25 AM
So I need another rifle like I need a hole in the head, but here I am looking. I was looking for something cast friendly specific, however, I'm a weirdo in that I do not like bolt action rifles. I was a huge fan of H&R, I'm still bummed they all but shut down. I was seriously considering a 45-70 and came across Henry rifles and really like the looks. Eventually I figured its not much different from a slug gun, and I would rather have that (and be deer legal in MN). That's when I came across the Henry in .327 federal. I recently bought a Ruger LCR in .327 and have been having a blast. For some reason all the J word bullets are tiny, and go for tons of speed. I shot up my box of XTP's and began casting 120 grain SWC slugs for it. Its quite accurate, and I am glad I chose the LCR over a compact semi-auto. Thinking about it, the .327 could be fantastic for cast bullets in a rifle. A cast 150 or heavier bullet that protrudes at little as possible into the case would be fantastic, I wouldn't think twice about using it for deer provided your state allows rifles or straight wall cartridges. The rifle has a 1:16 twist barrel, which from what I can tell will stabilize bullets much heavier than 150 grains.

GhostHawk
05-24-2017, 08:31 AM
I'm like you, really don't need another rifle. And like you I have been looking at the Henry singles.

I was lucky enough to get a few H&R's before they got expensive.
.223 ultra was first. Sent it in and got one of the last barrels fitted in .357 mag, and 7.62x39. Found a couple of deals on grabagun, so grabbed a .444 marlin with camo composite, and .300BO in black for really good deals.

To which I have added a 9mm stubb barrel, and 3 shotguns found at the pawn shop. Pair of 12's and a 20 ga.

I have been waiting to see what other calibers Henry might come out with.

.45 colt would interest me, as would the .41.

I did recently come across a 16in chamber adapter for the 20 ga in .45acp but I have not shot it yet. Holding out some hope for a reasonably accurate 25 y bunny popper.
Time will tell.

Both the 9mm and the .300BO are lightweight short barrels ideal for a woods walk.
Both the .357 and .444 marlin will shoot cloverleaf's at 100 if I can do my part.

What I probably ought to do is buy a Henry lever action in .45lc. But that is just to rich for my blood. I'm a cheap tight sob.

Jack Stanley
05-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Wait a minute ..... if you guys don't need those rifles , just let one of us back the truck up to your door and leave you with what you "need";-)

Seriously though don't you just love those little bores that are easy to cast for and feed?

Jack