PDA

View Full Version : PMC 45-90 Brass Quality?

Baron von Trollwhack
07-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Does anyone have actual experience in using PMC 45-90 brass and so could offer an opinion. Thanks, BvT

bigborefan
07-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't know if it was an isolate problem, but I bought a hundred of PMC 45-90 brass a couple years ago and I had three splits out of the first ten fired. The splits were about an inch and a half running in the center of the cases lenghtwise. I know that my chambers were not wet (which is also a cause for splits). I returned them from where I purchased them and got my money back. It may have been a bad batch but don't know for sure.

omgb
07-20-2008, 02:26 AM
I have about 50 of them from a buch of factory 45-90 I bought three years ago. They work fine for me. I anneal after three loadings. The only drawback I had with them was PMC internal voume seems less than Remington or Star

Baron von Trollwhack
07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks Folks. Maybe I'll stick with starline to start till I can find a few pmc's to check. BvT

Jim2
07-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Ya can't go wrong with Starline 45/90 cases, although they may need to be annealed before your groups will get real small.

Kid

Jon K
07-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I have 20 that were new factory ammo given to me. I have used them to load small test batches. I haven't had any problems, or see anything wrong with them. If you have plenty enough to use, I'd use them, keep them seperate from others, for consistnacy.

Jon

Rusty
07-27-2008, 07:26 AM
I was dissapointed with the now extinct PMC company's 45-90 brass. Their factory smokeless loads "squibbed" on me often (i.e: duds; no bang, etc.) when vI called them the phone co. announced that "This number is no longer in service". PS: Thier smokeless load was very light; lots of air in the case. Then I had issues with reloading them; v. thin at the neck in some cases. The brass crumpled when I seated teh bullet into a carefully flared neck, with v. clean insides. Just seemed to be highly variable. v Unfortunately I have about 300 pieces of their brass. I'd stick with Starline though it arrives with the usual rough neck edge but is already too short. when I just trim to clean 'em up they are about 0.015 too short. Hmmm. don't want to create a carbon ring in my nice High Wall and Sharps, now do I?

montana_charlie
07-27-2008, 11:38 AM
when I just trim to clean 'em up they are about 0.015 too short.
And, when you fireform, it gets a bit shorter yet. Cases can be stretched if you have the right tool.
CM