PDA

View Full Version : Noob- PP vs Grease Groove vs J word?

Thundarstick
05-23-2017, 10:48 AM
I'm not a complete noob. I've loaded commercial cast boolits in revolvers for years, even cast a few years ago. I'm moving into the rifle areas now and need a little clarity on a few things.

Does the PP offer any great avantage over a grease groove bullet at mild velocities (<1500 fps)?

I'm wanting to run a slow heavy cast for close range and Jwords fast for long range work. Would PP be preferred in this application?

My understanding is PP is for high velocities for a given alloy, is this rite?

dead dog
05-24-2017, 09:47 PM
I tumble lube boolits at <1500 its easy cheep and fast. I used alox for years ,now I use bll or 45/45/10 read the lube stickies. After you learn the basics then you can try other things.

303Guy
05-25-2017, 01:51 AM
Paper patching is a lot more effort (and fun). I have had good results with PP using a malleable alloy with enough pressure for patch disintegration at the muzzle. Velocity would have been somewhere between 1500 and 1800 fps I would think. I have also had good results with a patched subsonic boolit. That was a lightweight 141 gr 303 Brit boolit (in a seriously rust damaged bore). I don't know whether the patch stayed on or not.

OverMax
05-25-2017, 08:21 PM
The object of PP I think is to get lead cast as near as possible to jacketed speeds perhaps in some cartridges a little beyond jacketed speed. Done so with the use of a paper wrap which is known to reduce the chance of barrel leading at those higher Jacketed speeds.
BHN hardness? A very important cast lead factor to be aware. Softer BHN lead engages the barrels rifling better than hard cast lead. Which affect accuracy and terminal performance.

Thundarstick
05-28-2017, 05:57 AM
These responses do give me some things to think on. I've purchased an 1885 Winchester in 375 h&h that I intend to assemble a cast load for woods hunting, and a long range jacketed round to use in more open areas, sometimes on the same hunt. I guess I'm concerned about leading the barrel switching back and forth between jacketed and cast. It's this a real concern if I use lubed cast boolits? I've found with revolvers that most commercial boolits are too hard, and a properly set up revolver will lead less with a softer bullet than a hard cast at the same speed. I'm also aware that a softer boolit is a better hunting boolit than a hard boolit. It's looking more and more like I may have to go back to casting to get the boolits I want any way!

Soundguy
05-28-2017, 01:28 PM
If using cast in a fast caliber, I'd go gas check.

Dan Cash
05-28-2017, 01:50 PM
I find paper patched .30 bullets my preferred for hunting as I can drive a very soft bullit at factory speed (.30-40, .300 Sav, .30-06, .303, .30-30 etc) with accuracy and no leading. Up to about 1700 fps, plain based grease groove bullets serve me well, even when cast quite soft; faster needs harder alloy. While I have gas check makers and lots of gas checks, I have quit using them except on unpatched gas checked bullets at over 17-1800fps. All bullets shot unpatched are panlubed with a bee was/neats foot oil/lanolin lube.

big bore 99
05-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Been shooting 340gr and 405gr out of 45-70 for years. I size down to .452 then patch back up to.458. I've been using soft lead and cigarette papers. Good accuracy and no leading with a long barrel Italian Sharps and Buffalo Classic.

Any Cal.
05-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Have been shooting gas checked lead at 2100 out of a .444 just fine. Was planning on paperpatching for it, but easier just to grease.

I do think the 110% load density helps a lot though.