PDA

View Full Version : First Casting Session

copdills
07-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Hello Pards:

Got up at 4:30 am while it was a little cooler ,marched over to the shop filled my Lee pro 4-20 with lead, smoked my molds and put them on the hotplate , used the Lee 45acp TL230gr TC first then the Lee 9mm TL124gr TC, after a while I started filling one while the spure was cooling I would fill the other set it down for the spure to cool pick up the first one cut the spure and dump the bullets ( water quench) it kept me busy and steady the way I like to be anyway I learned alot, I know more about what you guys are talking about now But don't get me wrong it wasn"t all roses either LOL but thats another story

I had way more Good than Bad, 45 acp sized .452 9mm sized .357.5 I was pleased most all the 45acp looked Great and weight was about 239gr the 45 mold likes me the 9mm mold don't going to have to find the sweet spot with it 50/50 good & Bad bullets from this mold also having problem with the front pin (6 cav mold ) sticking and not wanting to close all the way together any sugestions

Thanks for Everyone's Help, you are All ( OUTSTANDING IN MY BOOK)

COPDILLS:castmine:

RP
07-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Have you lubed your mold pins too Bullshop makes some lube for this have not used any but I have some coming to me soon. One thing kind of hit me as ,,,, will I will just say it you may have a proplem getting up at 430 to cast boolits I think your hooked no turning back now.

docone31
07-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I am not sure about it. Maybe it is me, however, the Lee .45acp mold is a real joy to use!
I cast 1000, and had two start up back in the pot castings. It just loved getting filled.
The 9mm mold, as you expressed, was a little crankier.
I use two holers. I kinda like just disappearing in my casting room.
Once I stopped adding pure tin, and added 50/50, things worked a lot better.
I water quench everytime I open the mold.
I am wondering, if I can use the 124TC casting in my .38spls. I was just given 2000 empty cases of .38spl.
Anyone got any good data for 124gn in .38, with Blue Dot?
I like Lee Molds.
You know, I like to go back, and measure. I will be a songun, but I sized my .124TC to .308 for my 9mm. I bet I can use the balance of my casting session for .38spl.
I will probably only load a few to check for leading. If they work though, I bet that will be a nice mellow load.

copdills
07-19-2008, 08:07 PM
thanks guys I use Bullshop spure lube , its great I tightened up my mod handle bolt and it seemed to line up better still a little sticky on the front pin , but better than it was ,I'll get it worked out I hope and yes 04:30 was early but I am use to being up at than time of day and had the day off LOL

Thanks copdills

and docone31 you can use the 124gr TC in 38 spl as well

docone31
07-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Copdills, I am loading as we speak. I am depriming the cases. I use the 310 tool. The .38spl kinda says that is the way to go.
I found some load data for Blue Dot. The Alliant site is down for work, it is 7gns for 125gn boolitt.
I am looking forward to testing. I am using only the brass cases for this load.
Might make a light target load.
Lets see if my lube works like I hope.

DLCTEX
07-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Just me, but I would think Blue Dot is a little slow for 124 gr. boolit, personally I would choose Green Dot and save the Blue for heavier boolits or 357 Mag. However, if they shoot good in your gun/load go for it. DALE

copdills
07-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Dale is right , But I am a Fan of Blue Dot myself, let us know how it comes out I bet it works Great
good luck
copdills

docone31
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I have used Blue Dot in .38spl for years. Frankly, it works real well. Clean, no powder kernels. I have never used it with my castings. I have used commercial ones and it works well.
I load 8.1gns Blue Dot for both 125gn, and 150gn.
Since I only use Lee dippers, and auto disc., I am restricted to that load. I have found it works real well. Pleasant to shoot, accurate, and most of all, clean.