PDA

View Full Version : Question on Ruger Blackhawk

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
07-19-2008, 05:52 PM
I just came home with a new Blackhawk. On it it says 45 caliber. Is it a 45 colt and if so is there any other 45 calber ammo that will work in it? I have never owned one and dont know jack about them.

Thanks!!

J Miller
07-19-2008, 06:01 PM
I just came home with a new Blackhawk. On it it says 45 caliber. Is it a 45 colt and if so is there any other 45 calber ammo that will work in it? I have never owned one and dont know jack about them.

Thanks!!

Yes it is a .45 Colt. Generally that is the only cartridge that will work in it unless you have the extra .45 ACP cylinder.
There are some less available rounds such as the .45 Schofield that will chamber and shoot, but you won't normally run across them.

Joe

Lucky Joe
07-19-2008, 08:46 PM
You have a great combination gun and caliber. And yes it is a .45 Colt as Mr. Miller stated. It will not fire the .45 ACP for example, you need an additional cylinder for that round. What barrel length did you get?

You won't be disappointed in your gun.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
07-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info. The barrel is 7.5 inches

Boerrancher
07-20-2008, 07:34 AM
I think you will love the 45 LC cartridge and Blackhawk combination. I don't have any trouble duplicating 44 mag ballistics out of my Ruger, and because of the Larger bore dia, it can be done using the same wt boolit as a 44, with a bit less recoil than the 44. More surface area for the gas to push against, and the Ruger is strong enough to take it. Just use good brass. Remington or Star Line, as they have a thicker head and thicker walls than most of the other brands. Been shooting a Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC for 14 years now and have never regretted buying that gun. I liked it well enough that a year later I bought a Reproduction Mod 92 Winchester chambered for the 45 LC.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

44man
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Just like the 45-70, OOOOLD but just won't die because they are so good! :drinks:
Only one problem with most Ruger .45's. Some have throats that are too tight for the bore. Shoot the gun for groups, if you have a problem with accuracy, all of us here will help fix it.
An easy and quick check is to take a bullet, .452 jacketed if you have one and see if it will push through the front of the cylinder with little resistance. (Clean gun.)

Gungrubber
07-20-2008, 01:03 PM
you will love the blackhawk .
You can load heavy and never worry.

Now Boerrancher to tame recoil on the 44 Blackhawk simply do as I did
And hang a 10 1/2" barrel on it :-D

GG

Boerrancher
07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Now Boerrancher to tame recoil on the 44 Blackhawk simply do as I did
And hang a 10 1/2" barrel on it :-D

GG

I have a Red Hawk 44 with a 7 and 3/4" barrel or what ever it is that Ruger puts on them that is a hair less than 8" along with a scope. It is not too bad. I use it to coyote and deer hunt with. I don't like the longer barrels on a single action. Anything over 6" is just too long for them IMO. I want something I can get out of the holster quick and bust a varmint before they can make 2 jumps or take a step depending on how many legs they have.

I must admit that the longer barrels do make for nice shooting. I am sure fond of that nearly 8 inch one on the Red Hawk. I have also shot a good many 44's and 41's with the10 1/2" barrels, a pure pleasure to shoot. I have done some of my best Handgun shooting with longer barrels, but when I bought all of my S.A.'s I was working cattle in the evenings off horse back, and needed something that as I said earlier come out of the Holster quick.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe