PDA

View Full Version : Window 10 Warning

DCP
05-21-2017, 08:02 AM
FYI

For those who like larger print

The latest Window 10 update removed the text resizing for icons, command line resizing and many other resizing features.

I looked for over an hour before I found this on why I couldn't resize.

I had to restore the previous version I had on my computer.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/where-is-advanced-sizing-of-text-in-windows10-new/447361c0-8748-444c-a508-3297db6a1932

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/advanced-size-of-text-and-other-items-in-creators/99995a08-a6d8-42b9-b48b-c5d7d402670e

Nick Quick
05-21-2017, 08:54 AM
I installed the GWX on my laptop so no Win 10 will ever be installed on my machine. I knew 10 is bad news and I can only hear complaints from everyone. Sometime down the road I may have to get a new system and I will probably be forced to have the "almighty" Windows 10 but as of right now Win 7 is just kickin a$$ all the way.
Not to be able to increase the size of letters is absolutely ridiculous. No, it is terminally ridiculous. Very sad news.

NSB
05-21-2017, 09:07 AM
You can simply hit Ctrl and the + key at the same time to enlarge what's on the screen. Every time you hit it this way it keeps getting bigger. Just use the - key to reduce it back.

NSB
05-21-2017, 09:08 AM
You can simply hit Ctrl and the + key at the same time to enlarge what's on the screen. Every time you hit it this way it keeps getting bigger. Just use the - key to reduce it back.

DCP
05-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Yes you can, but it dose not work for icon text or command line..................

KenH
05-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a good reason to install Linux Mint - for general word processing, email, surfing the net, etc you'll never know the difference between Mint and Windoz. Many of the windows programs run good under Wine.

Ken H>

matrixcs
05-21-2017, 10:00 AM
I have avoided windows wherever possible. It has been linux for me since about 2003...

jlchucker
05-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Q couple winters ago I spent nearly 3 months away from home. It didn't take long before I got sick of borrowing my friend's laptop, and at the advice of her niece, who is a professional computer tech person, I bought a Chromebook. That operates off Google Chrome, and if I were starting over, that's all the computer I'd ever buy. Now, every time my main computer at home gets a Windows 10 "upgrade" it often crashes my computer. All I do is switch to the Chromebook to email, check my sites like this one, pay bills etc while getting the desktop straightened out (again) from Windows 10. I wish I knew more about computers. Where do I find out more about Linux?

lavenatti
05-21-2017, 10:39 AM
I was able to resize icons by right clicking on the screen and selecting "display settings" in the popup.

obssd1958
05-21-2017, 10:43 AM
I have several older HP boxes that I have to wipe the hard drives on. I would love to be able to turn them into Linux machines.
Does anyone know where I would find a resource that could tell me what the hardware requirements are, and have a good tutorial on the setup process??

TIA

Don

DCP
05-21-2017, 10:52 AM
I was able to resize icons by right clicking on the screen and selecting "display settings" in the popup.

You must have a older update. When I updated yesterday it was no longer there. Microsoft deleted it in their last update.

FredBuddy
05-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Go to www.linuxmint.com and look around.

I took fellow member Doug Guy's advice and had a machine put together with linux mint. The store owner was reluctant to do it, but found it was easy. When I went back to tell him that there was almost no learning curve, he thought he might take some older machines and put linux mint on and sell them cheap. Everyone wins !

P.S.

Linux Mint is freeware !

dragon813gt
05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Just wait until Windows OS goes to subscription base like MS Office. That's where this is all headed. I will switch to Linux when it happens. For now Win 8.1 gives me no trouble on my Ultrabook. And the work laptop is still running 7. In general I'm tired of constant "updates" to OS and apps. They have a habit of never working properly.

matrixcs
05-21-2017, 03:01 PM
I use opensuse linux leap and it works well for me. There are many varieties of linux to choose from and everyone seems to have a favorite.
Most linux distributions have a bootable version so you just put it in your optical drive and boot from it. It is a great way to start and see if all your hardware works before wiping your drives.

I have several older HP boxes that I have to wipe the hard drives on. I would love to be able to turn them into Linux machines.
Does anyone know where I would find a resource that could tell me what the hardware requirements are, and have a good tutorial on the setup process??

TIA

Don

KenH
05-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Well, Linux gets updated just as often, perhaps more often than Windows, but the updates are "usually" pain free. I agree, the learning curve to Mint is very small, as long as you're only needing OFFICE type programs, browsers, email, etc. When you have windoz programs with no linux versions available, many will run just fine with Wine and easy to install. Sometimes, there will be a windoz program that doesn't play nice with Wine....

Ken h>

lavenatti
05-23-2017, 06:50 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by lavenatti http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=4052397#post4052397)

You must have a older update. When I updated yesterday it was no longer there. Microsoft deleted it in their last update.

It's a new PC, came with Windows 10 installed.

DCP
05-23-2017, 07:48 AM
It's a new PC, came with Windows 10 installed.

So let me make this clear when your Windows 10 updates and it will.
That option will be gone.
See my links in OP

You have a older version.

"The "Change only the text size" option was discontinued in Windows 10 Creators Update due to conflict with other features. More information can be found on this thread that was answered by Gerald Vit. Here you can find alternatives in changing the way your text size is displayed and some more options that would be helpful, so make sure to check it out."
Let us know if you need further assistance.

Ken in Iowa
05-25-2017, 07:38 AM
Go to www.linuxmint.com (http://www.linuxmint.com) and look around.

I took fellow member Doug Guy's advice and had a machine put together with linux mint. The store owner was reluctant to do it, but found it was easy. When I went back to tell him that there was almost no learning curve, he thought he might take some older machines and put linux mint on and sell them cheap. Everyone wins !

P.S.

Linux Mint is freeware !

I have tried various Linux versions over the years.

my wife's old desktop would be a good candidate to play with.

question for the guys in the know, do SSD boot drives give a significant performance improvement with Linux? I have been quite impressed with them with Windows....

SSGOldfart
05-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Well this thingy comes on when open the topcover.
:killingpc

walltube
05-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Show Windows and Internet Exploder the 'gates' with Mac and never look back. 18 months of joy with Yosemite and Verizon ISP.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :>)

Be of Good Cheer,
Wt.

Sur-shot
05-25-2017, 10:03 AM
The new MS programming process reminds me a great deal of the old saying: "I am from the government and I am here to help you." Just substitute MS for government.

I have an office full of computers connected to a MS 365 server, it has turned into a running nightmare of "upgrades" that are worse than a hacker of virus getting onto our damned system. We have to call our IT people by the week, to fix, what MS destroyed overnight in functionality with non functioning "upgrades." Like one morning our Outlook program ceased to function, period, requiring an full un-install and re-install of the older program so our business could function. MS has gotten out of hand.

308Jeff
05-25-2017, 10:41 AM
I despise Windows 10. I'm gonna be really aggravated when Win 7 is no longer supported.