PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly a Dillon 550B primer problem after 35 years of use!

broomhandle
05-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Hi Guys,

About 250 rounds into my batch of 45's on my Dillon 550B -- I had a problem with the primer feed system. First thought was bad primers- switched to another brand same problem!

Problems:
1 Popping out of the clean primer holder about half travel!
2- Not dropping a primer each time.
3 Primer holder always hit the shell plate no matter how it was set!

Took things apart & looked for issues - it was clean & free of burrs. Rather then re-invent the wheel I checked the net!

The only thing I had seen was more play then usual - up & down & side to side! Reviewed a few on-line vid's & went to work with a few simple repairs. I lightly re-bent (tighter) the alum housing that had worn bit!-Took out the side to side slop!

Discovered that the up & down slop was do to me apparently over tightening the screws! Which I have always tried to just tighten a bit!
LIGHTLY filed the area around the screw holes where the alum. alloy had stretched! This removed the up & down slop! I also discovered some how the wire rod that pushes the primer feed system back & forth was over bent! - I had adjusted it in the past & it was NOT the correct thing to do! After watching a few fix's by various people I bent it back the way Mr. Dillon had made it originally!

Replaced the red tip on the primer tube that was slightly damaged! Put it back together & it works perfectly!Made 550 more rounds with NO issues! I'll call Dillon on Mon. & get some replacement parts

How did "WE" manage before the net???

broom

runfiverun
05-21-2017, 12:17 AM
that's basic maintenance.
you have to replace the red/blue tip every so often.
some do a set schedule of 20-K or so, some run them until they stop working.
they are just basic moving parts that need to be adjusted from time to time.

broomhandle
05-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Hi Runfiverun,

I used up all the original white tips that seemed to last forever. The red tip has been on only about 2 years!
I guess that is a good run for this improved Dillon part. I had the press checked out at Dillon about 4-5 years ago. They replaced a few parts. I can't ask for better or faster service!

Thanks for your reply,
broom