PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problems with Marlin 1894SS

kingstrider
07-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I bought a used 1894SS a few weeks ago and have had it to the range twice. On both occasions, the lever stuck in the open position. The first time I was able to get it to function again but on the second outing, I forgot a screwdriver and had to bring it home to remove the lever and clear the jam. Upon closer examination, it seems to jam in this position when feeding rounds but doesn't do it when the gun is unloaded. This is the first problem.

The second problem is that even unloaded, the action is difficult to operate if not done swiftly. My other Marlins are a lot smoother and can be opened slowly but this one doens't want to cooperate. I reload my brass so usually like to open the lever slowly so that the brass doesn't fly off.

The third problem is I have noticed strange scrape marks on my brass that seem to resemble rifling. I'm not sure if the cause is the mag tube, a problem with the lifter, or burring along the chamber. I'd like to use it for deer this fall but don't have much confidence in it right now. Any suggestions on how to get this gun fully operable?

fecmech
07-19-2008, 11:46 AM
If it's a new gun send it back to Marlin. A friend just bought an 1894 in .357 about 6 weeks ago new. Right out of the box it would feed nothing! Nada! Their quality control can't be too good, how do you let a gun go that won't even feed one round! We tried RN's, RNFP's,SWC' in both .38 and Mag brass, nothing would feed out of the tube. He had to send it back to Marlin and just got it back last week. He has not shot it yet so I don't know if it's fixed or not. If I bought a new lever today I would take dummy rounds with me to try in the gun.

MakeMineA10mm
07-20-2008, 01:45 PM
My first thought was to have you peruse the cowboy websites, because there are a few "known" issues with Marlins when cycled too slow or too hard. There is a "fix" for this. Same goes for a rougher action, though I'm betting the action roughness/difficulty cycling is connected to the other two problems. The third problem sounds most serious/difficult. With all three problems going on simultaneously, I'd think hard about sending it back to Marlin. Another possibility, and something I'd explore first, is asking the previous owner if he or "someone else" tried to modify the 1894 with some inexperienced home gunsmithy... If so, Marlin may not take the blame for it, nor should they. My 1894SS works beautiful - shoots accurate, feeds fine, and cycles smoothly.

Duckiller
07-20-2008, 01:59 PM
SEND IT BACK TO MARLIN!!! Bought one in early 70's and local gunsmith could never get it right. Hunting or range when I racked out rounds it always jambed. Local smith had it in several times to fix and it would work for awhile then jam. Gunsmith finally sent to Marlin. It now works. Not sure what they did, but it works good now.

26Charlie
07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I sent back a circa 1950 M336A 35 Rem. which wouldn't feed right. They retimed it or whatever they do, and it works great now. That cost me some service charges. Also sent back a M1894 .25-20 which wouldn't group. They replaced the barrel free.