PDA

View Full Version : how to preserve leather shoes or boots better.

johnson1942
05-19-2017, 11:33 AM
as many of you know i like to pass on helpful hints frequently and receive the same from you. i learned this from a redwing shoe salesman many years ago and have been doing it since. spray you leather shoes or boots frequently with lemon pledge, let it soak in some and brush very well with a good horse hair shoe brush. ive done that for years and my leather shoes and cowboy boots last and last and always look good. they get softer and softer. lemon pledge is the same today as it was years ago.

bullet maker 57
05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Interesting tip. I will have to try it. Thanks

Blackwater
05-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Wow! I can't help but wonder who discovered this. Did they just spill some on the shoes, and reap the reward? All too often, I'm afraid, we're sold stuff that's designed to limit the life expectancy of what we buy. That feeds our "throw away" mentality of today. In older times, folks tried to preserve what they had, and get all the use out of anything that they could. Now, folks buy stuff without any real need. Quite a change! No wonder we're not growing trees fast enough to compensate for what we're cutting down, and various other similar acts we do today! We're now (and have been for a while) looking at the trees in foreign islands, with an eye to harvesting them to make furniture and other wood products .... and of course paper. Remember when computers were supposed to produce a "paperless society?" Now, we have to have BOTH!

As Robt. Burns wrote so long ago now, "Ah but would th' gift to give us, to see ourselves as others see us!"

lightman
05-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Never would have thought it. I'll remember this.

jcwit
05-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks a bunch for the tip, will get on it today with a couple of pairs of shoes that I really cherish!

popper
05-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Be aware that Pledge can be water or solvent based.

jonp
05-19-2017, 04:21 PM
People might or might not be interested but I leave a pair of leather boots at my hunting camp up north on the porch. -40 in winter and 85 in the summer or so with the camp all closed up. I always used mink oil and had good luck but a couple of years ago I started using Balistol on them to see if it would work. So far, so good but it will darken leather.

nicholst55
05-19-2017, 09:35 PM
People might or might not be interested but I leave a pair of leather boots at my hunting camp up north on the porch. -40 in winter and 85 in the summer or so with the camp all closed up. I always used mink oil and had good luck but a couple of years ago I started using Balistol on them to see if it would work. So far, so good but it will darken leather.

Leather care was one of the original (ca. 1905) uses of Balistol. Gun care and people care were the other two primary uses!

Tom W.
05-19-2017, 10:11 PM
I've melted beeswax and rubbedit into my boots. It worked well but was a PITA. I don't think I'll recommended it.

54bore
05-20-2017, 06:49 AM
I use a home made concoction, small amount of beeswax, heavy bear grease (fat) and neatsfoot oil, keep an old stiff paint brush in the can, I learned this from my dad as a kid, he made the stuff and it would sit in an old coffee can under the edge of the woodstove. Working in the woods it's important to maintain your gear, a good pair of Wesco cork boots these days are 400 plus dollars

William Yanda
05-20-2017, 06:51 AM
No longer have a wood stove, never had bear grease. Why does the lemon pledge work, silicone?
Bill

jcwit
05-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Looked all over the house and wife had no Lemon Pledge.

So tried some Feed & Wax that I keep for other used. It took all the scuffs and marks right out of the leather and after waiting for it to dry/soak in overnight gave the pr. a poslish and they look as brand new.

Now have orders to dothe wifes leather shoes. Neither of us wear these sneakers or what ever you call them.

dbarry1
05-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Wow - lemon pledge. I've always used mink oil - but I'll try it.

GL49
05-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Yep, 54Bore is correct. The bear grease works great, get some if you can.

Warning: I have a buddy that says not to use bear grease unless you're fully aware of what might happen when you jump on an unsuspecting horse. If he's telling the truth, just mount up, but be prepared for the rodeo to start. Having had first-hand experience with this same horse when Mike and I tried to get it to pack out a deer for us, the above story may be true.

Lemon Pledge seems a bit safer, I wonder if it'll help waterproof a boot?

dragon813gt
05-20-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't see lemon pledge helping repel water like mink oil does. Same goes for Ballistol. It's kind of a moot point w/ modern liners like Gore Tex. But every little bit helps when you're out in the elements.

Bookworm
05-20-2017, 06:45 PM
I've been wearing Redwing boots for about 35 years, since 1982-ish. All that time, I have brushed the dirt & grit off, and painted the boots liberally with Redwing Boot Oil. Let dry overnight, wipe off the excess and go.

My boots last about 5 years, daily wear, except Sunday. What breaks down is not the leather, but the internals of the boot. It's impossible to find a good cobbler for repair work, as all the good ones are making 10 times the money making custom boots. At least around here they are.

Use whichever method you wish, to preserve your property. I see no reason to change what I'm doing. I dang sure ain't spraying aerosol furniture polish on my $200 boots.

54bore
05-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Yep, 54Bore is correct. The bear grease works great, get some if you can.

Warning: I have a buddy that says not to use bear grease unless you're fully aware of what might happen when you jump on an unsuspecting horse. If he's telling the truth, just mount up, but be prepared for the rodeo to start. Having had first-hand experience with this same horse when Mike and I tried to get it to pack out a deer for us, the above story may be true.

Lemon Pledge seems a bit safer, I wonder if it'll help waterproof a boot?

LOL! Funny, but not. I have never thought about this til you mention it, horses have a tendency to go nuts over the smell of a bear. I dont own horses and i am never around them. Definitely something to think about

GL49
05-20-2017, 07:40 PM
LOL! Funny, but not. I have never thought about this til you mention it, horses have a tendency to go nuts over the smell of a bear. I dont own horses and i am never around them. Definitely something to think about

That horse would allow two things on his back. (A)... a person, or (B)...a saddle. If you tried to put "C" on his back, or he's not sure that it's A or B, it ain't gonna happen. Mike and I hid in the trees until that horse got rid of that deer. Woweee. He didn't get the nickname "sonny" because of his disposition.

(Thread drift)

gtrpickr
05-20-2017, 08:07 PM
I just might have to try lemon pledge on a pair of my boots and see how it does.

Gewehr-Guy
05-20-2017, 08:46 PM
I've been using SNO SEAL for a few years, a good product. I think it's a beeswax base, with other ingredients to soften it. I just scrub off the cow stuff real good,put the boots on a piece of cardboard, and warm up in the oven. Then rub on Sno Seal till the leather won't take any more . Do this when wife isn't home.

54bore
05-20-2017, 09:21 PM
I've been using SNO SEAL for a few years, a good product. I think it's a beeswax base, with other ingredients to soften it. I just scrub off the cow stuff real good,put the boots on a piece of cardboard, and warm up in the oven. Then rub on Sno Seal till the leather won't take any more . Do this when wife isn't home.

Sno Seal is really good stuff! Widely used in this wet country, loggers, farmers, hunters, etc. My bear grease concoction isn't something the average joe can get.

Johnson1942, I had never heard of this before? I read up on this Lemon Pledge for leather, I can't find anything bad about it? Biker guys talk highly of it for use on their saddle bags, coats, chaps, etc. I can't imagine it being that great for Water proofing though? Not like a Grease anyway, The Lemon Pledge is basically for cleaning the leather right?

GOPHER SLAYER
05-20-2017, 10:58 PM
I wonder what kind of job Bag Balm would do? Worth a shot.

Lloyd Smale
05-21-2017, 06:34 AM
I use anhydrous lanolin.

w5pv
05-21-2017, 06:40 AM
You can also use Neatfoots oil

quack1
05-21-2017, 07:05 AM
+1 on the sno seal. I applied it twice a year, in the spring and fall. The boots lasted for about 25 years. The toe caps finally wore through from the abrasion of walking through weeds and brush. When I applied the sno seal, I set the jar and boots in the cab of the truck on a sunny day. Much safer than using the wifes oven. The sno seal would turn to liquid and the hot boots soaked it up like a sponge.

smokeywolf
05-21-2017, 07:35 AM
I've used several things over the years. Lexol, mink oil, Hydrophane.

When it comes to horses, one the most important things to realize is, as far as a horse is concerned, everything eats horses.

robg
05-21-2017, 01:21 PM
On all my leather gear mc jkt etc neatsfoot oil or a beeswax concoction I got at a bike show years ago which is avalible on line still and smells like honey to me.used to put on my bike gloves give all my gear a good going over and the gloves were done too,then next day go over everything with a cotton cloth to take any excess off and buff them up so it doesn't feel sticky .

johnson1942
05-21-2017, 10:45 PM
there are a lot of things you can put on leather and they work but this lemon pledge keeps them soft and looking real nice and the leather sure does last. brush in real good when it sits awhile. bag balm is good for patches for a round ball muzzleloader rifle.

Jack Stanley
05-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Beeswax , venison tallow ( probably other fats too ) and real neatsfoot oil . But , like Johnson said , just about anything .

Jack

Thin Man
05-22-2017, 08:50 PM
An old friend, now deceased, taught me to use only pure neatsfoot oil on leather. He was saying that as opposed to blended or synthetic neatsfoot oil. Still works well for me.

MT Gianni
05-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Occasionally you want a pair of boots to stay stiff especially for ankle protection.

Blackwater
05-22-2017, 11:28 PM
You're right Mt Gianni. Like "snake boots" in particular! The most I'd ever do with a pair of leather snake boots is a VERY light coat of a leather dressing to keep it from cracking, and thus, becoming less effective in resisting fangs than if cracked. Good point!

And a friend of mine, back when he was in the military, used to use Mop n' Glo to get his dress shoes really shiny with minimum trouble. He swore by it, though I've never tried it .... and really don't plan to. I've been discharged WAY too long for that!

DocSavage
05-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Oddly enough I watched a you tube video on some old time life hacks.
One of them was if you have a pair of boots or shoes that won't clean up well ..... wait for it........ take a fresh lemon cut it in half and rub it all over the leather they'll look like new. Whether Pledge has real lemon in it is another question.

fiberoptik
05-25-2017, 02:14 AM
I've used several things over the years. Lexol, mink oil, Hydrophane.

When it comes to horses, one the most important things to realize is, as far as a horse is concerned, everything eats horses.

Even the French!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
05-25-2017, 02:19 AM
Back in the Corps when we polished the floor with Paste Wax, in the morning we would spray Pledge on before the final buffing with a toilet seat cover. Could almost see reflection in floor, C.O. would always slip on it as well. Always passed inspection. Worked on boots as well.

johnson1942
05-25-2017, 12:19 PM
a bear smell like a pig, same sent glands.

brassrat
05-27-2017, 12:18 AM
A couple weeks ago I noticed the paste wax lists leather, as a use, so I slobbered a bunch of boots with it.

retread
05-27-2017, 12:43 AM
My wife makes hand cream out of beeswax and olive oil. Works good on chapped and dry hands(like Bag Balm does). One day I looked at my Redwing boots and though- Ahha. I use it regularly now and it softens the leather and protects from water, snow and dirt. Just wash them off and apply another coat, let dry and buff. Cheap too! 3-4 ounces of beeswax to 4 cups of Olive Oil. I apply it with my hands and get double duty.

dale2242
12-20-2021, 09:39 AM
It`s Neats foot oil for me.
I've been using it for over 60 years.

fiberoptik
12-20-2021, 10:25 PM
Any idea of what to do with mildew on leather? Sheaths & slings mildewing in humid Fl.

jonp
12-21-2021, 04:26 AM
Used Bear Grease on leather boots that were wet from out in the snow and rain for years then switched to Sno Seal. Great stuff. Stuff with newspaper and let dry gently. When dry, let warm next to the woodstove or out in the sun and apply the Sno Seal.

Lately I've been experimenting with Ballistol on a pair of old leather hiking boots and have been surprised how well it works.

jeepyj
12-21-2021, 06:25 AM
I think I'll give it a try in those cases that I need a quick shine. I do believe that along with the soft brush would be perfect in some cases. For the deep waterproofing I use the Redwing green can, rub on and warm with a heat gun then wipe off excess. Although my job doesn't require me to be in boots like I used to, a good pair of Redwings will last many years by taking care of them. Thanks for the tip.

fiberoptik
02-27-2022, 06:59 PM
You're right Mt Gianni. Like "snake boots" in particular! The most I'd ever do with a pair of leather snake boots is a VERY light coat of a leather dressing to keep it from cracking, and thus, becoming less effective in resisting fangs than if cracked. Good point!

And a friend of mine, back when he was in the military, used to use Mop n' Glo to get his dress shoes really shiny with minimum trouble. He swore by it, though I've never tried it .... and really don't plan to. I've been discharged WAY too long for that!

I used cloth diapers with Perrier mineral water to spit shine my boots and shoes in the Corps. They hated me for it. CO. always complimented my boots.

jim 44-40
02-27-2022, 07:43 PM
I always clean leather with saddle soap first then let dry before water proofing,will try lemon pledge and see how it works.

Thumbcocker
02-28-2022, 09:38 AM
Hubbard"s boot grease. Best I have ever seen. My Dad used it on his linemans boots and belt. Available on Amazon.

farmbif
02-28-2022, 09:57 AM
dr Jacksons leather conditioner

jonp
02-28-2022, 04:21 PM
Back in the Corps when we polished the floor with Paste Wax, in the morning we would spray Pledge on before the final buffing with a toilet seat cover. Could almost see reflection in floor, C.O. would always slip on it as well. Always passed inspection. Worked on boots as well.

Old thread but i got a kick out of it. In the Army did the same thing but melted the Johnsons and then used a toilet seat cover over the buffer. As you said you could shave in the reflection. Just like glass. Top would come to the door, look at the floor and move to the next room

Johnny Diamond
02-28-2022, 06:45 PM
Skidmoores leather cream if my addled min remembers correctly.
Used to make saddles and tack, best darn stuff out there!

FINEM RESPICE ~ MEMENTO MORI

fiberoptik
03-02-2022, 01:04 AM
Old thread but i got a kick out of it. In the Army did the same thing but melted the Johnsons and then used a toilet seat cover over the buffer. As you said you could shave in the reflection. Just like glass. Top would come to the door, look at the floor and move to the next room

Always funny when the newbies set themselves on fire [emoji91] lighting the can!

happyfast79
03-07-2022, 04:43 PM
Chap wax/boot dry ( same product) works amazing