PDA

View Full Version : Gonna trade for my first Smith revolver

Tom W.
05-18-2017, 10:31 PM
The Colt Police Positive that I traded for a few months ago has caught the eye of a collector. Seems I'll be trading for a S&W model 19, blue or nickel, my choice. I don't remember the dash number, but I believe it's a 3. I'll know Saturday when he brings them over for me to choose. Knowing my tastes I'll probably go for the blued one. A lot will depend on how the trigger pull feels. The blue model was owned by a deputy sheriff in Montgomery. I don't know about the nickel one. Cylinder lock up is pretty important, as I don't need any side splatter. That said, the gentleman that owns them wouldn't have anything that wasn't in excellent condition, so I'm pretty sure the Smiths are in great shape. Now I'm gonna have to get another boolit mold.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Blue or nickel, I think you'll be coming out ahead! :D

shtur
05-19-2017, 12:42 AM
The 2-1/2 inch barreled PP is the rarest, the others are common.

Drm50
05-19-2017, 01:54 AM
I don't follow Colts, other than the Snakes and some earlier Target models in DA revolvers. I do
know my S&Ws and their value. I would make sure I knew what I had and value before trading.
19s are going for $600-$700 in nice condition, got to be a super nice PP to be worth that or some
scarce variation. I got a 99% m19 this week as well as another K38 both are good investments
both for dollar and practical value.195849

Petrol & Powder
05-19-2017, 05:52 AM
I've never been a fan of nickel plated guns but prior to the widespread use of stainless steel, nickel plating was fairly common. If you have a choice, I'd recommend going with the blued gun.

Look that model over real well before trading. Pay particular attention to the forcing cone (look for cracks at the 6 O'clock position), end shake and make sure the hammer doesn't push off when cocked. The model 19 is a great gun but a lot of the .357 mag K-frames had hard lives. The forcing cone issue has been beaten nearly to death and probably exaggerated a bit, but it does exist.
I've seen a LOT of S&W revolvers that have been "bubba'd" to reduce the DA pull weight. Sometime the bad "fixes" can be reversed with little effort and sometimes they're too mangled to be returned to proper operation.
On the other hand, there are plenty of pristine K-frames out there !

So, my advice is to take your time before you commit to that trade.

Tom W.
05-19-2017, 10:32 PM
My Police Positive looks to be a safe Queen. It's in remarkable condition, one tiny flaw on the cylinder. No drag marks, sharp crisp lettering, solid lockup. I know the collector knows what he's looking at, too. And it is the model that has the ejector shroud, rated for +p ammo. I've taken it to the range once and fired one box of wadcutters from it, cleaned it and put it away. Haven't fired anything since my surgery, just haven't felt able or safe enough to do so. Determination is one thing, but the safety of others is paramount.

gtrpickr
05-20-2017, 02:32 AM
I sure wish I still had my model 19, great guns.

Hickory
05-20-2017, 03:03 AM
I'd offer him the Colt and $125.00 for both S&W 19's.

Hey, all he can do is say no.

Tom W.
05-20-2017, 07:11 PM
It's a nickel 19-4. And it's mine!

Der Gebirgsjager
05-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Congratulations, Tom W. The picture of exactly what the deal was has become much clearer now, with your description of the Police Positive. I understand the collector's interest, but it's my feeling that for actual shooting purposes you now have the better gun. .357 Mag. instead of .38 Sp., but still with the capability to use .38 Sp. for practice. Although nickel is not my cup of tea, you also have improved corrosion resistance. On the other hand, the collector has a very nice example of a gun that will never be produced again. So this is the kind of deal where everyone walks away happy. :D

Char-Gar
05-21-2017, 12:46 PM
I am not a fan of nickle plating. It can flake and peel over time and some solvents discolor it. I also do not like the ultra reflective finish for all that glitters is not gold. Electroless Nickle is another deal. It will stick tight to the metal as will most industrial chromes.

My disdain for nickle plated firearms aside, my enthusiasm for the Smith & Wesson Model 19 is boundless. A long steady use of full snort 357 Mag loads will shake them loose. But use them as intended (i.e. practice with 38 Special loads and reserve magnum loads for serious work), and the live longer than you will.

I bought my current Model 19 two years ago for $600.00. It is a 1967 vintage revolver.

Tom W.
05-21-2017, 09:40 PM
And that's a beautiful revolver. As an aside, I'm wondering if I can have the revolver refinished with cerracote or something without totally ruining the value. Or maybe check with S&W about giving it a once-over.

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2017, 07:02 AM
If the original nickel plating is intact, any refinish will destroy the collector value.

tazman
05-22-2017, 07:45 AM
You are in for a treat. Every S&W K frame revolver and especially the Model 19, I have experience with has been an exceptional shooter. The balance is right and they just work. As long as you don't feed it a constant diet of magnum loads it should outlast you.

Jeff Michel
05-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Now begins the slow slide into Smith collecting. :mrgreen:

Tom W.
05-22-2017, 02:30 PM
I believe I'll just give it a good cleaning and have fun with it. I suppose I'll have to get a SWC mold to go with it, as well as a speed loader, holster, yada yada yada you know the drill.

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2017, 04:16 PM
There are worse addictions to have. Enjoy your new S&W.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-22-2017, 05:26 PM
I really like the Nickel S&W guns, although the old ones (pre-1950) usually have issues with flaking.
But to be honest, if I were to only have one S&W revolver, it'd have to be blued steel.

Char-Gar
05-23-2017, 10:59 PM
I really like the Nickel S&W guns, although the old ones (pre-1950) usually have issues with flaking.
But to be honest, if I were to only have one S&W revolver, it'd have to be blued steel.

The reason the older ones flake is because they have been around long enough to flake.

therealhitman
05-23-2017, 11:39 PM
I'd offer him the Colt and $125.00 for both S&W 19's.

Hey, all he can do is say no.

When a collector needs what you have ask for the moon. I know I have overpaid for '70s Les Pauls in mint condition. Definitely on my second '69 Firebird. But if it is the perfect one you need where else you gonna get it? You do the counter offer and then pay the man.

A few years back I had a Limited Edition NIB Marshall amp that a guy just had to have. And he had inherited his Father's guns as luck would have it. He brought a case with two Smiths (a 10 and a 19) and another with two blued Pythons, a four inch and a Magnaported 6 inch. I realized quickly he was not a gun guy. I asked for all four and got them with no haggling. Aaaaah the good old days.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/THEREALHITMAN/DSC01772.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/THEREALHITMAN/DSC01773.jpg

Tom W.
05-26-2017, 12:49 AM
I hope you backed up to receive those revolvers.:kidding: