PDA

View Full Version : Lee Supreme 4 die set

tranders
05-18-2017, 12:35 PM
I am looking at this set for loading 30/06.
Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mdi
05-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Yep, it's OK. The set uses a body die, then a collet neck sizing die, a seater die, and a collet crimp die. "Normal" die sets only use a F/L sizing die that uses an expander that sizes the neck on extraction, and a seating/crimping die, and some kits include a neck sizing only die. For a new reloader perhaps the extra dies/steps aren't needed/worth the trouble and a standard die set would be better, especially if you are using a single stage press (many reloaders/shooters don't crimp 30-06 ammo, but some may if the ammo is used in a semi-auto)...

Soundguy
05-18-2017, 01:17 PM
I think I'd just get the lee red box 30-06 set.

tranders
05-18-2017, 01:31 PM
I will be using a bolt action and we aren't high volume shooters.

No Blue
05-18-2017, 02:16 PM
You can try all different combinations and find out which one gives you the best accuracy. When I bought my 2 die set in '94, I had to make a choice; collet or FL. Now you get both in the same box....at not much more money.

WebMonkey
05-18-2017, 03:41 PM
I use the fl die on range pickup/unknown/new brass.
I use just the neck die on MY fired brass.
Lee .308 4 die set

sghart3578
05-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Lee .308 4 die set\

This is the answer you are looking for.

I have an '03 Springfield that I load for and shoot. I have the 4 die set. I use the collet neck sizing die on the brass that comes from my rifle. On purchased brass or range pick ups I full length size them

I have the 4 die sets in several calibers. I really like the Lee neck sizing collet die. If you use the collet neck sizing die pay close attention to the set up instructions.

Steve in N CA

P.S. Lee, if you are listening, a collet die for 7.62X54R is long overdue.

Bzcraig
05-18-2017, 11:33 PM
Lee .308 4 die set

My thoughts as well.....

flyingmonkey35
05-19-2017, 09:49 AM
so are you reloading for more then one rifle? if so full length die. if not just neck sizing die

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

frankenfab
05-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Yep, it's OK. The set uses a body die, then a collet neck sizing die, a seater die, and a collet crimp die. "Normal" die sets only use a F/L sizing die that uses an expander that sizes the neck on extraction, and a seating/crimping die, and some kits include a neck sizing only die. For a new reloader perhaps the extra dies/steps aren't needed/worth the trouble and a standard die set would be better, especially if you are using a single stage press (many reloaders/shooters don't crimp 30-06 ammo, but some may if the ammo is used in a semi-auto)...

I was unaware the sizing die was a body die. Makes sense.

mdi
05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
I was unaware the sizing die was a body die. Makes sense. I may not be 100% correct on that term, but that's was the best way I could describe it. The die sizes the body and the neck sizing collet die takes care of the neck...

CraigOK
05-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Fl sizes body, shoulder, and neck. Neck die just sizes the neck

mac60
05-19-2017, 09:54 PM
\

This is the answer you are looking for.

I have an '03 Springfield that I load for and shoot. I have the 4 die set. I use the collet neck sizing die on the brass that comes from my rifle. On purchased brass or range pick ups I full length size them

I have the 4 die sets in several calibers. I really like the Lee neck sizing collet die. If you use the collet neck sizing die pay close attention to the set up instructions.

Steve in N CA

P.S. Lee, if you are listening, a collet die for 7.62X54R is long overdue.

+1 on the 7.62x54R collet die. I don't understand why this isn't already being made. I've heard production numbers for 91/30's from 17 million to 20 some odd million. Of that number, how many are in this country - I'd bet it's quite a few. I own 3 and have seen pics of private collections that hold dozens of them. Bottom line - there are probably a lot of people loading for them.

sghart3578
05-20-2017, 10:59 AM
+1 on the 7.62x54R collet die. I don't understand why this isn't already being made. I've heard production numbers for 91/30's from 17 million to 20 some odd million. Of that number, how many are in this country - I'd bet it's quite a few. I own 3 and have seen pics of private collections that hold dozens of them. Bottom line - there are probably a lot of people loading for them.

I just bought one from Midway. It is made by RCBS. It should be here Tuesday. I hope it works okay.

Steve

troyboy
05-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Not the same as Lee's collet neck sizer.

44magLeo
05-27-2017, 08:37 PM
When I have the choice I buy the Lee 4 die set. This gives me options no other die set gives you.
As others say, neck size brass fired in my guns but F/L range or once fired from other guns. After a few firings the brass can get a bit tight in my guns, I then F/L to get back to easy bolt close.
I like the option to crimp also. In my limited experimenting a crimp does improve accuracy. Some a light crimp others a bit more.
Still experimenting.
Leo

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-27-2017, 08:47 PM
I am looking at this set for loading 30/06.
Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Are you loading cast boolits or J-words?
Lee's Seater is sloppy, but it does OK with pointy J-words.
I've had bad luck with Lee seating dies giving me runout problems with boolit noses that aren't similar to J-words.
I like most Lee dies, but dislike their seaters for rifle. I have replaced most all my Lee Rifle seaters with Bonanza (Forster) benchrest seating dies. I really love Lee's Collet FCD, I use them exclusively when I want a crimp.

Soundguy
05-27-2017, 09:12 PM
Nice thing about lee dies is their cost. Very easy to put a pea sized bit of regular low temp general purpose epoxy putty in a seater plug, then put some case lube on the lead projectile I am waiting to use, tamp the epoxy in, smooth the edges and set the nose profile. 5m later and you have a seater that fits perfectly.

Want to reset? Epoxy burns out at about 400-500' way before the aluminum gets too hot. Heat them peel out, etc.

MT Chambers
05-29-2017, 03:06 PM
I'd get the bushing die set from Redding, a neck size die that you can interchange bushings to fine tune your case neck tension, depends on your accuracy requirements.

David2011
05-29-2017, 04:03 PM
I use the Lee Supreme 4 die set for my 6.5mm and .22-250. I had RCBS dies for both rifles but bought the Lee sets for the collet neck sizers. Accuracy may be helped some but the real benefit is that the brass gets worked very little with the neck sizers. Case growth is also substantially slowed by collet neck sizing, reducing the need to trim them.

Soundguy has a good point about removing epoxy. It's super easy to dig out with a small soldering iron.

Silverboolit
05-30-2017, 01:26 PM
I have used the neck bushing dies and prefer the LEE collet. Bushing dies, for me, varied the tension depending on the make of brass. Thinner brass necks equaled less tension and thicker increased tension. I don't want to neck turn all of my brass to get consistant neck tension on each case. I guess that I am too lazy to do it right, but the LEE collet works very well for me.

On that note, I also use a .303 British rod in the collet die as my boolits are sized to .312. Factory rod is used for jacketed, but was too small for the lead that I shoot in my .308.