PDA

View Full Version : Toured the NRA Museum in DC

Silver Jack Hammer
05-18-2017, 07:12 AM
The exhibits on display are overwhelming. It's recommended to plan on 2 hours for a visit -ha! After 4 1/2 hours they had to drag me out so they could close for the day. If it's at all possible for you to attend I highly recommend you try to make it happen.

contender1
05-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Yep, been there & enjoyed the heck out of it!

Hardcast416taylor
05-18-2017, 09:37 AM
I enjoyed going thru myself. The no cameras rule kinda sucks though. I especially liked the scenerio of WW 2 G.I.`s in a blasted house with a pile of German weapons on the floor at their feet. I also had to be shown the door at closing time, so I just came back the next day!Robert

Silver Jack Hammer
05-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Photos were allowed yesterday, no restrictions

John Allen
05-18-2017, 10:02 AM
I have been wanting to go for a while. I am going to try and get down this winter.

Green Frog
05-18-2017, 12:04 PM
The "no cameras" rule was only in effect for a relatively short time during one of the big Obama era anti gun scares. There is (or was) a release form to sign now but that's about it. I try to get in about once a year or so as the temporary exhibits are worthwhile for at least a quick look and there is always something in the main exhibits I want to go back to.

Froggie

rugerdude
05-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Last time I was there was in 2002. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the "Real Guns of Reel Heroes" exhibit. Got to meet and talk with Wayne Lapierre for a bit. Overall about the most enjoyable part of visiting DC!

Hardcast416taylor
05-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Photos were allowed yesterday, no restrictions

It was 4 years ago while visiting my Daughters Daughters HS graduation. They live outside DC in Herndon, Va so going to the museum wasn`t that long of a drive. We had to check all cell phones and other cameras in at the front desk and pick them up as we left. There was a display of Model 70 Winchesters in a fan shaped display of every model and most calibers that were made pre-64, would have loved a pic of that. The Teddy Roosevelt display was also impressive.Robert

waarp8nt
05-18-2017, 05:20 PM
I would love to go see it.

jetinteriorguy
05-18-2017, 08:10 PM
I really need to go one of these days, I've driven by hundreds of times and even made some gun deals in the parking lot. Another one I haven't been to yet is the Marine Corp museum. That's the trouble when your local, too easy to take it for granted and always put it off. I tend to forget how many truly wonderful things to see in the DC Metro area and Virginia.

MNruss
05-21-2017, 08:12 AM
I loved my visit a couple of years ago.
Be sure to check the menu for the lunchroom - I had steak with all for under $10!