PDA

View Full Version : Going to Mildura Australia

MarkK
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
The trip is work related. Anything worth checking out? TIA, MarkK:-D

quasi
07-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Make lots of Crocodile Hunter jokes while your there, Aussys love them!

heathydee
07-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Just down the road from Mildura is a little town called Redcliffs. There on display, in a park on the northern side of the road is an enormous mechanical device callled "Big Lizzie" It was used in clearing the Mallee scrub in the years immediately after the First World War to provide land grants for Soldier Settlers. This thing is enormous , being about as long and as high as a semi - trailer . Even has a blacksmith's forge on the front deck about ten feet off the ground.
Ten of fifteen miles the other side of Mildura in New South Wales is the town of Wentworth. Attractions there include Old Wentworth Gaol and a paddle steamer , P.S. Ruby , that is being restored authentically by a group of retired tradesmen . Weather should be good this time of year.Nights down to about 0 degrees C and sunny days. Enjoy.

Southern Son
07-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Mark, what type of work brings a Yank from California to Mildura? I am only curious because I lived for more than three years in Broken Hill which is 3 and a bit hours north. I used to go down to Mildura for a break from the Hill. If you can (and the river is not completly stuffed from the irrigation farmers), try fishing on the river. You will maily catch carp (I have seen carp from the river go to 25 kg), but you might pull a yellow belly (Victorians call them Callop) or if you are really luck, a Murray Cod. Few of them are worth eating, but on light gear a 3-4kg carp will bung on a hell of a yike.

Bigjohn
07-19-2008, 03:18 AM
Depends on how long you are going to be here and how much free time you will have.

I'm about 3 to 4 hours south west of there near the coast. Lots of potholes (BIG POTHOLES) full of water, great for cavediving and crayfishing (in season).

John.

Russell James
07-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Longest bar in the world! Mildura working mans club .
300 ft [ 91 meters] Go on try a beer at every tap!
Mildura was greatly helped in its early days by "The Chafey Bros", 2 Americans from California who introduced irragation from the Murray River and fed the citrus industry.
You will notice that the cities streets are numbered , first,second etc , I think by the Chafey Bros.
Great place in Aus, a true oasis.
Have a beer for me.

Ron
07-19-2008, 06:37 AM
MarkK,
I live on the southern side of Melbourne. Let me know if you get to Melbourne and we can get together for a beer or two. Mildura is a nice town with some very good restaurants. All of the produce is grown locally and always fresh. Sorry can't give you any pointers as to what to do there as I only spent a couple of days there myself when doing some police work.

targetshootr
07-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Pics would be great in this thread.

heathydee
07-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Big Lizzie

heathydee
07-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Murray River near Mildura

John Boy
07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Waterfowl bag limits are excellent ... http://www.ssaa.org.au/newssaa/birdfluWEB/2006DuckHuntingSeasonRound-up.html

smlekid
07-20-2008, 08:56 AM
when are you going o be in town mate? and for how long? if you were interested in doing some target shooting while you were here I reckon I could help you out
we are in the middle of a drought at the moment and haven't had a duck season for a couple of years
there is a couple of gunshops in town that might be worth looking at
PM me if you are interested

MarkK
07-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Wow! Great responses. I work in the wine industry here in California. I will be doing some collaborative work with a scientist who is with the Plant Production Sciences, Mildura Vic. Australia for the month of August. I'll land in Melborne and travel to Mildura by car (rental?). I guess I'll have most weekends free for whatever. Mark

smlekid
07-21-2008, 04:31 AM
What winery Mate? there are a few here
just out of curiosity do you realise it is a good 6 hour drive from Melbourne to Mildura?

Wicky
07-21-2008, 05:30 AM
We Aussies are a good bunch! Never spent much time along the Murray but what little I have was good. Guarantee these blokes will look after you. Enjoy your stay.

scrapcan
07-21-2008, 10:11 AM
MarkK,

I would make sure to listen to these guys, they will take care of you. make sure you post the fun that you have during your month downunder. And have a reall australian beer for the rest of us.

Bad Ass Wallace
07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Just leave the women alone! Long bitter memories from WW2 when "Yanks" were said to be overdressed, oversexed and over here! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MarkK
07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm happily married so no worries. The wife has put her order in for an opal.

Southern Son
07-22-2008, 03:03 AM
I don't know if she will get a "local Opal" in Mildura. However, if you get a car for the weekend, you could leave Friday afternoon, drive up to Broken Hill, stop there for the night and then early the next morning drive over to White Cliffs. You will have to go east on the Barrier Highway for 2 hours until you get to Wilcannia (for the luv of God don't stay there over night otherwise you will be left with a horrible impression of outback Australia), then you turn north on a dirt road (well sign posted) for about 1 hour, and there you are in White Cliffs. I am not to sure, but I think that there is still an underground motel in the town and there used to be a few opal dealers/jewlers/opal cutters in the town.

copdills
07-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Have a Safe trip MarkK:coffee:

Ron
07-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Mark,
I don't know how you are fixed financially but with regard to the wife's order for an opal you need to be careful what you buy. personally I would be looking for a "solid" opal, not a "doublet or triplet". The "solid"is just what it says, a solid piece of opal, polished and set. The "doublets" are made with a backing of potch (rubbish opal) with a sliver of opal on top and in the case of the triplet, as with the doublet but also has a clear crystal on top.

You should be able to find something on the net that explains what and how to buy opal., what colours are available and the variations in the costs of the colours. Mildura probably has a gemstone club where you could also pick up some pointers. Really good ones can be very expensive but I have heard of good purchases made in the opal fields. Good luck, I hope that SWMBO appreciates one of the more unusual gems of this world.

sledgemeister
07-23-2008, 05:23 AM
The trip is work related. Anything worth checking out? TIA, MarkK:-D

FWIW if your interested there is the 23rd MLAIC World Muzzeloading Championships held at Monarto Range Complex, SA on 11-16 August
It about a 5 hour drive from Mildura. If you like old things that go bang could be a fun weekend.
Be a good chance to meet a lot of shooters from all over the world, no doubt a lot that cast their own boolits too!

smlekid
07-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Markk what kind of shooting are you interested in?

MarkK
07-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Many thanks for the info on the opals. Solid it is.

As far as shooting goes... It has actually been awhile :( Mostly plinking with rifles and handguns. I do some skeet shooting here in CA and some silohette when I was back in MD/PA/NJ. White tail with revolvers and 7.62x39 from a canoe back in MI. It's all good.

Ron
07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
MArkK, sorry should have mentioned this in my last post. A friend of mine runs his own opal export business from Australia. The company is Clive Whelan International, postal address is Post Office Box 362, Glen Waverley 3150, Victoria, Australia. His International telephone number is 61 18 343296 and his fax is 61 3562460. His business is custom cutting of opal and making opal jewlery. I have no connection with him other than he is a fellow pistol shooter and a gentleman to boot. If you get stuck in buying the opal for SWMBO, give Clive a ring I am sure he would be able to help.

smlekid
07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Markk keep an eye on this site I'll get back to you shortly

MarkK
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Swmbo?

Southern Son
07-31-2008, 01:08 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed.

MarkK
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Made it safely to Oz. Qantas is a really nice airlines. Plenty of movies to pass the time. Anyway, catch ya'll later.:drinks:
Cheers,
M

smlekid
08-09-2008, 08:34 AM
check your PM's and welcome to Mildura