PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-17-2017, 06:41 AM
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.—1 Corinthians 10:23 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=52d48f20fc&e=3dd732485b)Have you ever filled up on appetizers? Maybe you’ve had a meal waiting for you, but then you started snacking. Suddenly you realize you’ve lost your appetite. I do this all the time. My wife will be cooking, and I’ll start swiping a few bites of food. Before I know it, I’m eating my way around the kitchen. When she finally serves her wonderful, home-cooked meal, I’m not hungry anymore because I’ve filled up on other things while I was snacking.

We can snack on the junk food of life, as it were, and dull our spiritual appetites. They may not be bad things necessarily, but they can diminish our hunger for the Word of God.

It is not a sin to watch television, but it is a sin to watch some things on television. I will admit to you that after I have watched television for a while, I feel sort of brain-dead. Do I then have a desire to go read the Bible? No. I have diminished my spiritual appetite.

There are things we can do that keep the edge off our hunger for the things of God. For example, when I listen to praise music, it builds me up spiritually. It encourages me and even stimulates my appetite for spiritual things.

The Bible says, “All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify” (1 Corinthians 10:23 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://5)). Or, as the J. B. Phillips New Testament says, “As I have said before, the Christian position is this: I may do anything, but everything is not useful. Yes, I may do anything but everything is not constructive.”

We want to look for the things that will increase our spiritual appetites, not for the things that will diminish them.

Pine Baron
05-17-2017, 07:21 AM
So easily distracted. Stay vigilant my friends.

square butte
05-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Good Morning - What a great lesson - Thank you rl69

Blackwater
05-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Diversion is one of Satan's best and most often used tools. Obviously, we can't and shouldn't go around singing Psalms all the time, but .... we need to keep them in our hearts, all the same. And keep them in mind when deciding how to deal with whatever challenges are presented to us at any given moment. We are SO fallible! This will minimize the liklihood that we'll say or do something un-Godly at any given point in our day. Doing that consistently is our main problem. And we all fall short. Be we ALSO can all do better, and that's what our real goal needs to be - that and not fooling ourselves about our true motivations! And that's really a double challenge.

buckwheatpaul
05-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Good evening....great message for the closing of a beautiful day. It is soooo easy to get distracted but reading the Bible and going to Bible Study helps to keep your anchored where your soul needs to be.....Paul

Boaz
05-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Building , strengthening your relationship with GOD .

Wayne Smith
05-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Computer science has something to teach us. GIGO. It works for the brain, too. I try to be careful what ideas and images I allow in.