PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven Biscuit & Beef/Venison Garbage Stew

webfoot10
05-17-2017, 12:18 AM
I made this recipe at one of the primitive rendezvous that I used to go to when I
was younger. Everyone liked it so I thought I would pass it on.
One large cast iron dutch oven with coal lid. I was cooking for a camp feed, so you
see why a large dutch oven is needed. You will have to adjust the recipe to your
needs, but it is very simple.

In dutch oven, brown off 4 or 5 lbs of small cubed venison or beef. Or if you must
you can use hamburger. Use bacon fat in pan for browning.

In separate pot dice up your vegetables, If you have a garden, use fresh vegetables.
I used canned mixed vegetables, whole kernel corn, diced Rotell diced tomatoes with
chili peppers, plus diced celery, bell peppers, squash and a small pumpkin and okra.
Use fresh okra if possible, the canned okra is terrible.

Mix all your vegetables in with the browned meat and let simmer till the vegetables
are done, stirring to keep from burning. Keep stew a little soupy. When done sit
it aside near the fire to keep warm.

Now the biscuits, I normally use Bisquick for my biscuits, but I didn't have any. So I
used cornmeal and a little flour mixed together with a couple eggs as a binder, and
made a cornmeal dough that I rolled out and cut out with a tin cup. The biscuits were
layed on top of the stew in the dutch oven till the stew was covered. Put the coal lid
on and set the dutch oven on some hot coals, and fill the coal lid with hot coals. This
will bake the biscuits. Check after 15 to 20 mins as you don't want to burn the biscuits.
They are done when you can stick a finger on the top and have it bounce back. Remove
from heat and serve. Pour the stew mix over the biscuits, You will probability want to
make an extra pan of biscuits to go with the extra stew. Or you can substitute corn
bread to go with the stew. Easy to make and very filling, all you have to do is add your
favorite spices and salt and pepper to taste. Hope you enjoy.

This can also be done on the stove top in a deep frying pan. Baking the stew and biscuits in the oven at 350 to 400 deg.
webfoot10

shaner
05-17-2017, 12:50 AM
Sounds great

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boaz
05-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Sounds good !(I agree on the canned okra= trash)