PDA

View Full Version : one of those days where it all goes right

mdevlin53
05-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Today was the first day since Christmas where the weather was right for casting outside(only place i cast) Got two new molds for Christmas and have been itching to use them. set up the pot and hotplate and after cleaning the two new molds set to casting. the pot was just right the hotplate had the molds perfectly warmed and then the stars must have lined up. no wrinkled noses no frost. almost all the boolits dropped without taping the mold. only a couple did not have filled out bases. the diameters were just right too, sometimes they run small but not today.
cast a lee 6 cav 55grain 22 cal, a 2 cav 120grain 30 cal (Te new molds) and a TL for the 357.
And because if there are no pictures......
195707 195708

s mac
05-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Looking good. First nice day since Christmas? We have the air on today.

Rainier
05-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Woot! Love it when a plan comes together. Good work with the new molds! :-)
I hear ya as it relates to the weather, out here I had to create a casting space in the garage. We've had the coldest, wettest winter/spring in over 30 years. Here's hoping the weather turns and stays that way for a bit.

RogerDat
05-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Well just wait another 45 minutes and the skeeters will be so bad they'll drive you inside or insane. Looks like you be guilty of making hay while the sun shines.

David2011
05-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Very nice!

mdevlin53
05-16-2017, 05:11 PM
I live right on a bay and we get mist and wind often. We have had some pretty days this year but much better for stacking next years wood than casting. today was warm and not very windy. Most days the wind keeps the bugs away so that's a plus.
I was dreading the 22 cal casting as i had heard it was a pain but at least for today it seemed no mor trouble than the 30 cal stufff.

tazman
05-16-2017, 05:57 PM
one of those days where it all goes right
You saying that people actually have those??!!! WOW

Wayne Smith
05-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Taz, I imagine its easier if you live in Down East Maine (love it) or maybe Malibu (seen pictures)!

Shiloh
05-17-2017, 11:06 AM
When casting quality boolits, I want time to stand still and the pot to not run low.
Love those days.

Shiloh

mdevlin53
05-17-2017, 04:18 PM
well it was too good to last. Went to the range this morning. sunny and warm. The talkie guy was there when i arrived not shooting just waiting for someone to bore to tears. then the black flies showed up and it was hard to see the target at 50 for them. next some fellow shows up with an M14 and needs to check his target every 2 rounds. a forth guy shows up this is the grumpy guy. Grumpy is griping about every shot he takes when the M14 guy just walks out to check his target without calling for a ceasefire. Talky is busy gabbing to keep an eye on the range(he was first to arrive so he is supposed to be the range officer) I packed up and went home figured mowing the lawn would be much more fun.

Oklahoma Rebel
05-18-2017, 11:07 PM
jeez, sounds like an upcoming Darwin award.... I hate poor range etiquette, unfortunately I no longer have a membership at the range, luckily I have a 50 yards range on our property more convenient, relaxed, but not quite as fun. and I cant mine other peoples boolits!

Loudy13
05-19-2017, 11:19 AM
I couldn't have waited those new molds would of been burning a hole in my pocket. I actually occupied a heated shop for the winter and was able to cast a whole bunch.

crowbuster
05-19-2017, 12:51 PM
I dread those days cause I pay 10 fold when I do have one.

mdevlin53
05-19-2017, 01:14 PM
So now the weather has been really good if perhaps a bit on the warm side. It hit 90 yesterday. So i am busy outside doing all the jobs you have when you have a house and a camp ( Maine"s name for a cabin on a hunting parcel). But there is rain due for Monday so i will get a few runs on .223, 30 carbine and perhaps try a couple of the 55gr boolits in the 22 hornet. The Hornet is a long shot as the lee 55 gr may be too long but hey you never know.