PDA

View Full Version : Remsport 1911 barrel experiences?

modified5
05-15-2017, 12:13 PM
A friend of mine who brings me his guns when he shoots them until they won't run any more and has me fix them brought me his S&W 1911sc that he shot a squib load followed by a charged load.
As you can guess, he bulged the barrel.
After an hour of wearing out a brass punch, I got the bushing out and the gun torn apart.
S&W will not sell me the parts to get it running again and he doesn't want to send it in.
It is a commander length for what that is worth.
I am looking at barrels for it and found Remsport barrels.
I understand they make barrels for some of the oem guns and supply some custom gun makers.
Does anyone have recent experiences and thoughts about the quality?
He would like to keep the repair reasonably priced, so he is not looking to spend $300 on a barrel plus my time to fit it.
Thanks for any insight you good folks have.
Scott

Preacher Jim
05-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Scott, I have used some of their barrels on just shooter guns and no problems.

Ithaca Gunner
05-16-2017, 11:32 AM
I bought one several months ago, a ramped 5" .45ACP. The build I'm using it in has just been started, a SS Gov't model so it'll be a while until it see's any range time. So far, for the price, under $150.00 it seems a quality barrel, 416R stainless, smooth with no left over tool marks, did require some fitting, mine takes a .579 bushing. Machine quality seems excellent, well marked, sharp edges, and everything looks good so far. I've used Wilson Combat, Colt, and Ed Brown barrels in the past with good results and the Remsport machining appears to be on par or better.

The pistol will probably be another month in the works, so I can't comment on it's accuracy at the moment. I wondered about them myself for a while and decided to give them a try simply because they had what I wanted at a decent price, when I wanted it. It's not easy to find Para/Clark ramped barrels in the caliber/configuration desired without waiting months to get it.

modified5
05-23-2017, 06:09 PM
So I went ahead and ordered the remsport barrel from them. It got here quick.
3 days, free shipping. Can't beat that.
It required zero fitting into a S&W scandium 1911 and fit better than the factory barrel.
i am 14 weeks post op on a rotator cuff and other repairs in my shooting shoulder so I knew I couldn't rip 100 rounds out of it.
I did shoot 3 at about 20 yards I could feel the recoil in my bicep. I haven't shot a hand gun other than the pellet guns since my surgery. I guess that told me I'm not ready to unleash the big dogs yet if I felt it like that with this little .45!
Anyway here is the 3 shot group. I'm pretty happy with it and I'm sure he will be too.
I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Seems like a quality piece. 196128