PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-15-2017, 06:40 AM
"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."—John 15:5 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=05c5f451c6&e=3dd732485b)A Sunday school teacher wanted her first grade class to know about the different types of sin that could be committed, so she asked her students, “Does anyone know what the sins of commission are?”

A little girl said, “That is when you do something your mom tells you not to do.”

“Very good. That’s exactly right. Does anyone know what the sins of omission are?”

A little boy frantically waved his hand. He said, “Those are the sins you are supposed to commit but you haven’t gotten around to them yet.”

That is how a lot of Christians act today. They think it is only a matter of time until they commit certain sins or fall prey to certain sins. But according to the Bible, sin can and should be resisted. We don’t have to be victims to it. We cannot only resist sin as a Christian, but we can grow stronger spiritually every day. However, we can’t do it in our own strength.

Jesus said the secret to spiritual growth is in abiding: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you” (John 15:7). He said, “He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit” (verse 5).

Jesus was talking about a vine that would produce grapes. We need to sink our roots deep into a relationship with Christ. Abiding speaks of a continuing commitment. It’s producing fruit. It’s walking with God on an ongoing basis. Abiding takes time . . . and lots of it.

If you want to grow spiritually, if you want to be able to resist temptation, if you want to live a life that is pleasing to God, then you must abide in Christ

Blackwater
05-15-2017, 04:17 PM
There's a lot of truth in today's post, RL. Expectations often, if not typically, form our attitudes and sentiments about whether we'll get what we want or not. If we WANT to sin, we'll find a way to make it happen, and have it "excused," at least in our own minds. But our minds are not God's mind, and excuses in our mind have zero effect on God's mind. So .... they're really totally empty in effect, if not in content as well.

When God gave men our free wills, He did so, I think, in order that we might choose for our own selves whether to accept His wondrous offer of salvation. He created hell for Satan, but Satan's followers must inevitably join him there, for servants of evil simply CAN NOT be allowed in Heaven, lest that taint destroy the whole of our saving grace. And God will never allow entry into Heaven of anything or anyone evil, or that serves it. He CAN'T. Heaven must be kept pure, and the only way to do that, after Satan's being cast out, is to allow only those who accept His most generous offer of salvation inside. Others have decided for themselves what path they must take, and God doesn't cause it. He simply allows them a choice. God be with all of us who love the Lord! We must be vigilant that the Great Deceiver doesn't deceive us, and lead us away by tricks, temptations or ruses. Do we serve a wonderful and just God, or what?

Boaz
05-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Good lesson for daily living . We are to live our lives through him .

buckwheatpaul
05-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys for the daily Bible lesson.....good things to think about and like Charlie said....We are to live our lives through Him......Paul