PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Civil Guard Mauser won't . . .

07-18-2008, 12:19 PM
chamber with a magazine of more than two rounds.

I have a Spanish Civil Guard Mauser in 308/7.62 NATO. Loaded up some of the Lee 311410 clones up (forget the OAL) and went to the range. Accuracy OK, will work on that. However, if I load more than two rounds, the rounds won't chamber. Strips off the magazine, but boolit point hangs up on the top of the chamber. Two or less, no problem.

Any ideas what would cause this? Worn out magazine spring? Need to change boolit profiles to something with a more distinct ogive and less of a flat point so it will "slide" into the chamber?

Thanks,
Josh

Scrounger
07-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Spring would appear to be too strong rather than too weak. Is it possible the magazine spring is reversed? Try different configurations of the spring/follower/floorplate assembly.

HABCAN
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I have had the same problem with Lyman #31141 flat points and simply changed to the LEE #90361 TL.

07-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Spring could be reversed as I tore it apart right after I bought it and this is the first time I've shot it.

I'm heading out to sea/field/training for two weeks and will try that when I get back. Now I vaguely remember it chambered standard condoms OK right after I bought it.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to change boolits though.

Larry Gibson
07-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I addressed this exact problem on the thread regarding feeding in a M700 and M98. The feed rails on the M1916 FR7s (Spanish Civil Guard) rilfes were not altered. They are still set up for the greater taper of the 7x57. The .308 (7.62 NATO) has quite a bit less taper and is a shorter cartridge. The FR8s (M98 actions) have the magazine blocked, so the .308 round stay to the rear of the magazine, and are a lot more forgiving in feeding.

However to address your problem; Note the location on the feed rail where the rim is when the cartridge jams. The rim of the cartridge must be realeased from the feed rail to slip up under the extractor before that location. You can polish (may take quite a bit) the feed rail from the location needed for the rim to be released from the rail forward so the rim is released. The rim slipping up under the extractor brings the nose of the bullet down and it slips into the chamber. Another feeding problem with mor than two rounds in the magazine is the width of the ,308 case at the should is wider than the same width of the 7x57 at that loacation on it's case. This jams the .308 cases keeping the rims from coming up and the bolt doesn't pick up the next cartridge.

I've had my own .308 M1916 since 1968 and have shot out two .308W barrels and current has a 2 groove "03A3 barrel chambered to my .308 CBC cartridge. It took me a while to figure the feeding out (about half way through the 1st .308 barrel) but it's perfectly reliable now. I've also made the modification on several FR7s for military friends. Not hard to do with a Dremel and the right stones and cratex polishers. Just takes time and a "do a little then try" method.

Larry Gibson