PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Green Machine Owners...>>> finding parts?

OS OK
05-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Hi,
I will be the owner of a .38/.357 unit next week, a Green Machine that looks like it was just taken out of the box. Fortunately the previous owner took exceptional care of this press...only problem is that the 'bullet seater push bar #86673' somehow went missing.

I will need to locate or duplicate this bar and would appreciate any help from any of you other owner/operators here in the forum.
The red arrow in the picture below is the bar I'm after.

Thank you, I appreciate any help I can find here...charlie

SWANEEDB
05-14-2017, 01:03 PM
You may want to check with RCBS, I know they still had 'some' parts left on hand but were drying up. Couple years ago we had 3 of the 'GM's, I think they went to "Starreloader" '?' here on the forum, when we sent them to him all the extra parts we had went with the machines, also was a sheet from RCBS of the parts that they had remaining, may want to contact him. He is a 'super' gent and will fill you in.

OS OK
05-14-2017, 01:14 PM
Thanks SWANEEDB...I appreciate your posting, I'll PM him right away.

I was lucky to find a manual from RCBS here... http://rcbs.com/RCBS/media/RCBSMedia/PDFs/Instructions/English%20(EN)/FINAL_GREEN_MACHINE.pdf
when looking through the search function.

I'll call RCBS Monday.

Reddirt62
05-14-2017, 01:31 PM
I must say that machine would be fun to restore and play with.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OS OK
05-14-2017, 02:08 PM
From what I can tell of the history of 'in-line' loading machines...this reflects the technology of pre WW-I ammunition manufacturers.

I am just mesmerized as the little brass soldiers keep marching from the left to the right and jumping off the right end as complete rounds.
I wanted to find one of these machines for the nostalgia of the day...and there was a day when loaders thought this was the 'cat's meow' answer...my how our progressives have changed and improved over the decades.

Automated High Speed, High Volume Bullet Machine for U.S. Dept. of Defense - Duration: 18:47. Gulf Western 3,155 views (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuyF6JvWFcw)
This is an interesting video of ammunition production history.
I've wired machinery controls all my life and automated machines still intrigue me today.

No Blue
05-14-2017, 09:45 PM
I thought Seasquirt or whatever his name is was the forum GM guy? Like he had 3 or 4 or them....when you could get them for $100, it was an interesting toy. But they've been over $300 for the last 4 years or so.

dverna
05-14-2017, 10:19 PM
I had one and hated the thing. Good luck.

OS OK
05-14-2017, 10:59 PM
dverna..."hated the thing?" What in the world could that innocent, mildly cantankerous, wee-bit difficult machine have possibly have done to you?

OS OK
05-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Spoke with RCBS just now..."eureka!" They still had the part I needed along with another couple of parts too!
They are on their way to me now and best of all and as usual...NO CHARGE!

You just gotta love those folks down at RCBS!

toallmy
05-15-2017, 03:41 PM
I have been looking for one for a friend for a couple years as a project without luck . I find them at around 300. But I'm a sorta conservative , for a loader that everyone said wouldn't work somebody likes them . I hope you enjoy your project OS OK it looks like new .

psweigle
05-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Now get it running!!! And we want to see videos.

OS OK
05-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Hang in there...she will be premiered soon.

dverna
05-15-2017, 04:15 PM
dverna..."hated the thing?" What in the world could that innocent, mildly cantankerous, wee-bit difficult machine have possibly have done to you?

Long story...short.

I was newly married and into Bullseye. I had been loading on my mentors Star and Camdex. Moved to a new town to work. I could not afford the Star and bought this THING. I could never get the primer system to work. Would up travelling 200 miles to load on my buddies machines many times. My wife was great about it.

I was an idiot three times. Once for buying it, second time for not being able to get it to work, third time for divorcing that woman years later.

OS OK, I saw somewhere where a guy modified the primer feed using I believe Dillon tubes (put on a blast shield too). One other thing I would look at is ditching the powder delivery system with the Little Dandy mechanism (more like Little Bastard) and using a case activated powder system.

BTW, there was a reason RCBS stopped making the THING.

Good luck!!!!

OS OK
05-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Funny story...you certainly gave it a fair try though.
But...you aren't stupid...you're a man...we are wired differently than the women and 'others'!

I've been reading researching this machine and have many ideas. Good thing I'm retired, I have time for it.

thanks...charlie

Cougar Hunter
05-15-2017, 05:21 PM
I purchased mine new in 1987. Other than the priming system which I could never get working 100%, the press works pretty well. I prime off the press as a separate step so it's not a big concern. Mine is set up for .45ACP. You have to keep them clean, and pay close attention during operation to avoid a powder spill if something hangs up. Otherwise, I still use it. There is a fellow in NC who makes an adjustable powder rotor for the Little Dandy which works extremely well. He's probably a member here who goes by Bailey Boat.

OS OK
05-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Hey Cougar...
Is that the adjustable rotor there in your press? Good looking press...clean...I intend to prime off press too, I do it for every press I own anyway, it makes for a simple life...no issues with priming, especially issues like primers not set deep enough because something decided to hiccup!
What would you say is your number of rounds per hour?
I don't intend to try to set any records, just go at a rate the machine dictates.
I'm just curious if you have to baby the press in some way out of the ordinary...

thanks for your post...charlie

Cougar Hunter
05-15-2017, 06:02 PM
Yes, the adjustable rotor is in there. I think you can turn out 300 or so an hour if everything goes ok. The biggest problem you will have is having the press hang up on a brass case and dropping a powder charge on the case rail. If you have the pins pushed in to operate the Little Dandy, a powder charge will come out every time the press handle is cycled down. Thats what I mean by saying you have to pay close attention. No real babying required, but when things go wrong a mess usually happens. Don't get me wrong, the Green Machine can be finicky and as someone else pointed out they discontinued it for a reason, but once "tuned up" it works pretty well. At least it does for me.

Cougar Hunter
05-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Here's a pic looking down into the Little Dandy. The allen head cap is threaded into the rotor which provides the adjustability. Works like a charm.

OS OK
05-15-2017, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't like to do it but, if I am a 'bonehead' and can't stay on top of that measure...well, I'll put a case activated powder throw in it.
I think I just scored a .38 WC mould...think I'll set the GM up for wadcutters exclusively.
HP's and RNFP's can load on the T-Mag II.

It looks like Baily Boat may still be around...if I stay with the Lil Dandy I'll probably buy the adjustable rotor. Thanks for that tip!

Jeff Michel
05-15-2017, 06:28 PM
I found mine in the trash at a friends house. I asked if I could have it and he even found the owner's manual. I had it home and setup and loaded a box of .38 WC in less than an hour. I prime my cases separately regardless of the press so that aspect isn't any sort of problem. Once you get it dialed in, you will get some ammo loaded in a hurry. The only hassle for me is if you run out of cases and not paying attention, you will dump a powder charge into the case rail. A bit fiddly when you change projectiles, but if you stick with one type, you will have no problems. I really like mine.

Cougar Hunter
05-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Keep the forum posted on your progress and if you have issues, I can help out if required.

OS OK
05-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Dang Jeff...I thought I had a good deal.
The more we talk about this press...the more operators show up...heck, we oughta form some kind of group here in the forum...'The Green Machiners' or some such.
Yeah...I'm thinking wadcutters.

Ok Cougar...when it's set up and it's pedestal mount is built I'll post here in this thread about it. Thanks for your info, I appreciate it.

Dang good idea about helping each other out too!

charlie

psweigle
05-16-2017, 07:03 AM
And a wad cutter mold too, look pal! Now this is a bit much!

OS OK
05-16-2017, 09:10 AM
I know...sometimes, when the moon's full, the breeze is cool and you hold your mouth just right . . . you just can't loose for winning!

Teddy (punchie)
05-16-2017, 09:24 AM
I've heard good and bad about them love/hate type of thing. Best of luck !! I always like the look of of them.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-16-2017, 03:51 PM
I took one on approval. I think the lady was asking $150. It was setup for .45 ACP so I went with that. It was no time till that beast flipped out, spilled powder, got constipated and needed partial dismantling to fix. I rushed it back the next day. You should be able to corner the market with little trouble. I had similar experience with the Lee Pro 1000 only it involved priming. Parted company with that one too.

hotwheelz
05-20-2017, 07:42 PM
I got this 1 from a fellow on here about 5yrs ago I only use it once a year or so to load up a bunch of 38 has the primer mod, large powder mode as well and the little dandy meter plugs all got shaved down to fit in behind the primer upgrade, also the chevron case feeder.. Like others have said it does not like to run dirty must be kept very clean, I keep a can of compressed air handy to blow any powder flakes or small debris.. I enjoy running it takes more attention then my Dillon's and I only use occasionally

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah20/Hotwheelzz/0520171622a_zpsirdyvynf.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Hotwheelzz/media/0520171622a_zpsirdyvynf.jpg.html)

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah20/Hotwheelzz/0520171621a_zpseozu4riv.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Hotwheelzz/media/0520171621a_zpseozu4riv.jpg.html)
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah20/Hotwheelzz/0520171622_zps7gmpngtu.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Hotwheelzz/media/0520171622_zps7gmpngtu.jpg.html)

OS OK
05-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Here is my answer to being out of space on the press bench.
I made a pedistal mount where I could sit on a stool and operate/load from one side of the pedestal and go to the other side and do priming...another little machine I can get off the press table.

I don't know where I'll put this press...my shop is overcrowded with too many large tools that take up real estate...if it can go on wheels I put machines like the welders, wood lathe, planers and shapers on wheels so they can tuck away until needed.

So, except for the loading/casting area all the rest of the tools have to share space and come out when they're needed.

This last press may be the straw that broke the camel's back...I've got a 6 pound shop in a 4 pound box.

I did have a good time setting it up yesterday when it arrived...not all the parts have been rounded up for the original seater so I put a Lee seater in it temporarily. I managed to get all the way through setting all the dies without spilling any powder...then the first thing I did when I was ready to run some cases for real, I left the powder switched on and upon sizing the first cast I also dumped a load of Bullseye into the press. I just keep an air line by the press to keep it clean. A simple solution for my 'Monkey-mind'.
Inline presses are a little different than the carousel type...you have to think a little different.

The fella that sold me this press has taken exceptional care of it...it looks like it was made last week, pristine condition.
I am amazed at how easy the lever pulls, my LnL offers much more resistance than this Green Machine.

OS OK
05-21-2017, 12:02 PM
OK...got through the learning curve and setup and loaded 100 rounds with only a couple of self inflicted 'hiccups'...I had to put a little more flair in the brass, I'm sorta a minimalist on flaring so I can maximize case life.
Now that I've added some flare so the boolits will seat a little mite deeper I'm going to run another 100 rounds just for giggles!

Take a look...
RCBS Green Machine...Inline press...revived (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq5z3atRsUo)

poacherjo
05-21-2017, 09:57 PM
My buddy has 4 of them all set up in different calibers so he don't have to adjust anything. Looking good okie

OS OK
05-21-2017, 10:13 PM
My buddy has 4 of them all set up in different calibers so he don't have to adjust anything. Looking good okie

jo...Would you ask your buddy if he has an extra (Bullet seater adjustment plug #86671) and the little (pivot pin #86674)?
Those are the two only parts I need to get the original bullet seater to operate. Then I can feed the 'boolit' through the side of the die instead of mounting it atop the expanded case...My Monkey paws are a wee-little-large for going under the platen of the press.

That would be a huge favor and I would be in your debt!

charlie

castalott
05-21-2017, 10:46 PM
I've never ran one but watched a ton of videos. The ones that worked good had a sweet spot on speed. Too fast would definitely cause issues.

I wanted one of these really BAD a few years ago. I'm the tinker type (NO, not tinker bell- tinker type!) and was sure I could make it run. Keep us posted, please.....

OS OK
05-21-2017, 11:01 PM
So far castalott..and from what I've seen, this is an intricate press with many closely machined parts, they need to be kept clean. I keep the air line at the press in case I forget to turn the powder dispenser off, I'm getting better at catching that though.
The other thing is that I bring pre-primed brass to the press, an old habit I suppose but it eliminates any malfunctions in that aspect.

I'm waiting on a WC mould and a couple of boolit seating parts and I'll set it up for those with the original boolit seater.

I'm having a good time with her, finding the cadence, watching all the little nuances of an inline press and mostly getting out of the habit of thinking 'carousel' style press...this un's a different animal.

Later this morning I got through the second 100 loads and without a single 'glitch'...I'm re-training my 'Monkey brain!'

Kenstone
05-22-2017, 02:24 AM
There are some parts on ebay, looks like someone is parting out a green machine, not much left:

OS OK
05-22-2017, 03:43 AM
Nope...thanks for the link though.

charlie

psweigle
05-22-2017, 03:17 PM
That is awesome! Way to go my friend.

Taterhead
05-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Very, very cool project. Thanks for letting us lurk around the toy room!

Cougar Hunter
05-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Looks like you have the hang of it.
For sheets and giggles try priming a case. That was the biggest fault of the Green Machine and I'm quite sure it frustrated every owner. Once you have the window seating die in operation it will make things a bit easier until built up lube stops the seating window from opening regularily. Just another nuance of the Green Machine........

OS OK
05-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Cougar...only PC'd WC's will be going into the window of the seater. And I ain't gonna prime on it. All the primed cases will be sprayed with Hornadys 'One Shot dry lube' and going into a carbide sizer...that oughta cover her weaknesses other than my Monkey brain dumping a load of powder when there is no case under the expander/powder throw...but then, I have an air line to blow her out clean when I do/did actually.

This old press is a Stately Grandma, given 1/2 a chance and a little TLC, she oughta be making WC's for my Grandsons one day.

My WC Lyman mould, #358091, 2 cavity came in from Tazman this morning so I cleaned it and sat down and cast and got to know that one and casted up 10 pounds or so...don't know for sure but enough to PC and get started. Sweet little mould...thanks Tazman I'll take good care of it.

Here's some that will get PC'd with High Gloss Clear...

RCBS doesn't have the last little custom threaded anchor for the push rod in the seater...that I can weld up here, just have to cut out some in shop play time instead of working on the irrigation or mowing. I swear, I had more time off when I was Contracting...this being retired thing eats up all your time with chores!

psweigle
05-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Is that the new wc mold? They look good.

OS OK
05-27-2017, 06:24 AM
I don't think it's too old, it came in an orange plastic box. I thought they'd need coercing to get them out because of the grooves but they jump right out.

psweigle
06-01-2017, 03:02 AM
That's awesome. Good deal.

54bore
06-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Sure a neat looking old press! I don't remember ever seeing one of these

OS OK
06-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Once I either find or make that small threaded part for the seater, these are going to feed it.

OS OK
06-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Never found a lead on the push rod post...so, I ended up building one from this 5/16" stove bolt.
I threaded a 10/24" through the side of it and now the original seater die is in place seating WC's.

poacherjo
06-06-2017, 11:05 PM
He has no extra parts! Sorry

oldhenry
08-05-2017, 12:33 PM
OS OK,
I'm impressed with the WCs that you cast & the finished rounds that you produced. I'm even more impressed with your perseverance in dealing with the GM. I bought one when they first came out. It was a RCBS product & just about everything on my bench was RCBS, so....how could I go wrong?

The "priming system?" is junk (what was RCBS thinking?). The erratic movement spilled powder & the slightest "booboo" required major effort to correct. I sent it back to RCBS (after a few phone calls) & when returned did not exhibit any improvements.

I liked the case feed, the Little Dandy, & boolit seating arrangement, but the other was too much for me to take. The real clincher: I no longer had confidence in the ammo loaded.

I sold it @ a gun show for $100. & made sure the buyer was from out of town & not connected to me in any way. A few years later RCBS mailed out a post card (remember them) offering an additional machine in another caliber to original GM buyers for $125. as they realized that they had originally marketed it as easy to change calibers & finally realized that due to the adjustments needed, that caliber change was not practical. I responded & told them I wasn't interested even @ $25. & added that it was only suitable as a boat anchor. Shortly thereafter I received a phone call from Jay Postman (a real gentleman) @ RCBS & he offered a refund. I told about selling it for $100. & he took my word for the amount of the sale & they sent me a check for $200.00.

An A+ to RCBS for customer service, but I could no longer trust them on a new product (fortunately the GM was after the RCBS bench priming tool which I love).

Later a non-reloading acquaintance wanted a progressive loader for .45ACPs @ decided to try a Dillon. He wanted me to set it up for .45ACP, test it extensively & then teach him how to operate (it was a 450B). I loaded 7 gallons of 230RNs & even on the last gallon I was amazed as each primer was fed & each case primed.........it seemed like a miracle. No erratic movement, no powder spills & no drama. The 450B taught me the advantages of manual indexing (I was in control).

Once again: hats off to you, sir.

Henry

OS OK
08-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Thank you Henry, that was a very nice compliment...however...a few explanations on my part might explain better how I got the GM to make such nice rounds.
I've worked with machinery all my life. I have learned to observe what a machine can and can't do, mechanically...my part was always adding the electrical hard wired controls.
"You can take a white boy to a basketball game but...you can't make him jump!"
In the case of the GM, you can't make it prime. And you can't run it dirty, and you can't dump a load of powder down in the mechanics of the track and expect it to work very long. So, this press has it's own air line and blow gun beside it. When the case feeder runs out of cases and I don't notice soon enough I end up dumping a load of Bullseye where there should have been a case! Thus the air gun comes out and immediately cleans the mess...no further problems there.
I simply use the GM for what it does best...sizes, expands and powder fills, seats perfectly (almost ;) ) and then it crimps perfectly and makes sure that the seat job was right.
You have to admit that the GM is a mesmerizing machine to operate...in the way that the case feeder keeps those little brass soldiers marching out from the left to the right, going through their 'getting outfitted' stages and then jumping off the far right end into the completed cartridge box...it is a step back in time and it will give any fella a new appreciation of the 'carousel type', progressive presses of today.
The last trick in the box is to feel the machine as you pull the load lever...visualize all the little mechanical steps that are taking place, from up to down platen and left to right on the track...it's a mechanical marvel as that lever steadily and firmly rotates forward...ah ahh! No jerking or your gonna jamit!

Many have chimed in with fond memories of disgust regarding the GM but all I can see is a machine that took many steps to build by many skilled mechanics and I appreciate their efforts.

Thank you for your comment and compliments . . . c h a r l i e

Drifty4
08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
It doesn't look like it would be too hard to make one from scratch.

mwhite49
08-08-2017, 01:22 AM
I'm rebuilding one and was suprised by the amount of parts rcbs still has. No bullet feed tubes but they sent the base and a large amount of other goodies. I'm selling this one soon.

mwhite49
08-08-2017, 01:55 AM
I'm rebuilding one and was suprised by the amount of parts rcbs still has. No bullet feed tubes but they sent the base and a large amount of other goodies. I'm selling this one soon.

kmrra
08-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Learn something new every day , never seen a GM, but looks like it might be a good press , let us know how it works out

omgb
08-08-2017, 01:20 PM
I jonesed for one of these back in 1980. Boy howdy am I glad I never had the dough for one. I hate tinkering when I want to reload. Just get it done and done right is what I say. If RCBS had had the strip primers back then this little dandy might have been a success but then again, maybe no. It still is too hard to switch calibers and who wants that many dedicated machines at that price?
Reece