PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a pistol bolt face?

merlin101
05-13-2017, 09:26 PM
This is way beyond my bush league skills. I have an old Astra A80 in .45apc that cracked the slide "nose" and that would cause it to jam (never mind unsafe!) I found another A80 slide and bought it but never gave a thought about caliber. So my question is can someone cut the bolt face to fit a .45APC? The new slide appears to be .40sw but as far as I know this gun only came in 9mm, .38 super and .45
Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated

DougGuy
05-13-2017, 09:44 PM
It may need a lot more than the breech face recut! Usually a 9mm has the extractor positioned closer to center of the bore, the ejector is positioned closer to the center of the bore in addition to the breech face and there may be a difference in diameter of the tip of the firing pin.

For an external extractor, there may be a different one for each caliber the gun was made in. Check the position of the ejector cutout in both slides.

David2011
05-17-2017, 03:09 AM
What DougGuy said. Once all of that is resolved you might check with Clark Custom Guns in Princeton, LA. I had them do exactly that on a slide several years ago while Jim Jr. was still running the operation. I don't remember the exact cost but it wasn't expensive. The small firing pin will work with all calibers. I used to shoot with a gunsmith that had a 2011 set up to shoot all of the calibers in which you can normally purchase a 1911/2011. He used the 9mm ejector and milled the ejector slot in the other slides to clear the 9mm ejector. You can eject a .45 cartridge with a 9mm ejector but not the other way around. You might get a smith to verify the boltface size. It might be easier to fit a barrel that matches the caliber of the slide if you would consider that an option.

KCSO
05-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Hate to tell you this but the work will cost more than the slide did. Better off selling what you have and buying the correct slide.

merlin101
05-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll put this away for awhile. Who know's what will come down the pike tomorrow? Good thing I'm not into it too deep.