PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-13-2017, 09:35 AM
For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus' sake. —2 Corinthians 4:5 (https://www.bible.com/bible/NKJV/2Cor.4.5)Have you ever thought, “If I could do a miracle, I know my friends would believe”? Maybe you imagine having them over for a barbecue. As you throw the meat on the grill, you say, “Check this out. . . . Lord, let fire come down from Heaven and consume these patties!” Whoosh! Fire comes down, and everyone believes.
Do you think that would really happen? Come on. Miracles won’t bring people to faith. Jesus said this: “A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah” (Matthew 16:4).
This statement was made in response to a challenge by the Pharisees who wanted Jesus to show them a miracle. But Jesus said, in effect, “I’m not going to give you a sign. You’ve seen plenty of signs.” Loose paraphrase: “Here’s the sign that I’m giving you. You know that guy Jonah who was in the fish’s belly? I’m going to die. I’m going to rise again from the dead. That is My sign to you.”
We won’t reach a lost world by miracles. The way we primarily will reach a lost world is through the message of the gospel, that Jesus died on the cross, rose from the dead, and will come into their lives if they will put their faith in Him.
So when you are sharing the gospel, tell the story of Jesus. That is the bottom line. There’s power in that story and in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. That is why Paul said, “For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified” (1 Corinthians 2:2).
When you tell your story, it is always a bridge to His story—the greatest story that has ever been told.

tinhorn97062
05-13-2017, 10:02 AM
I love this so much.

Boaz
05-13-2017, 11:00 AM
I'm agreeing with tinhorn97062 . Good lesson rl69 !

Blackwater
05-13-2017, 02:31 PM
What a great post today! Atheists and doubters often ask for proof. But in reality, I almost always get the feeling that whatever "proof" you offered, they'd just deny it. After all, it's easier to deny a fact than it is to deny Christ, which they have formed a simple habit of doing. So it's true, miracles do NOT provide much impetus for non-believers to suddenly come to belief. They're often mostly just hooked on a sentiment and an attitude than they are interested in any real facts, or even on rationality which they always try to claim is on their side. But it's not, in fact. Rationality considers all factors, and they always start out by eliminating any credence to any of the more conclusive evidences we have. They insist that if God came down, materialized, and shook their hand and counselled with them, they'd believe, but I have come to conclude that this is just a bunch of hooey. They don't WANT to believe because belief would "spoil their fun," and limit them from doing some of the things they enjoy. Sin IS, after all, attractive. It HAS to be to ensnare people. And they've made their choice, and will have to carry that to the Throne of Judgment when the time comes. I feel for them. God never intended for any to be lost, and he's given us SO many ways to "see" Him and "hear" His call. Those who deny Him do so simply because they've CHOSEN to, and no amount of evidence would likely change their attitudes or claims or actions. That's simply "human nature" at work, and some simply prefer sin to righteousness. Apparently, they just don't realize that while righteousness may not be as "amazing" or "exciting" as sin, it's sure to make us a LOT more happy, and there's no afterburn involved with it either. God gave us good instruction so that we might truly be REALLY happy, which I think of as more aptly stated in the word "satisfied." Satan gives only what it takes to rob God of certain more easily influenced souls. Satan is truly the ultimate "terrorist," in the end. But his devotees are certainly tenacious in their following of him! Right up until the price has to be paid, I'm afraid. But then, it's too late, and the die has been cast, and it didn't turn up good for them. What a waste for them!

USMC87
05-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Great lesson.