View Full Version : 1911 grip safety problem

Bmi48219
05-13-2017, 12:21 AM
I wa tired of my left index finger knuckle bumping the ambi safety up every 5th round so I replaced the ambi safety on my STI Target Master with a right hand only thumb safety. Thought I did a decent job of fitting it, the thumb safety works fine. But, while dry-fire testing I notice that once in a while the pulling the trigger will activate the hammer without me touching the grip safety. Also the grip safety feels like it's not under as much tension as before. Any suggestions on how to correct?
thanks

lefty o
05-13-2017, 12:31 AM
make sure you got the leaf spring back in as it was.

roysha
05-13-2017, 03:40 AM
^^^^^^^

Bmi48219
05-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Pulled the sear spring out, added a little more tension to the grip safety leaf, put it back together & everything seems to be good now. Will try it at the range Tuesday. To be on the safe side will try 1 then 2 then 3 rounds in magazine. Really glad to get the ambi-safety removed. Learned something too.

DougGuy
05-13-2017, 09:17 PM
Try it some more at home before you load it. With the thumb safety off, hammer cocked on EMPTY CHAMBER, pull the trigger with the weak hand index finger and hold it back, then use the thumb of the strong hand to see how much you can depress the bottom of the grip safety before the hammer falls. If it is a pretty good ways it is probably correct. If it is only a tiny bit it is not correct.

Bmi48219
05-13-2017, 09:27 PM
I'll try that,
thanks

DCM
05-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Try the other suggestions first, if they all fail try a different grip safety.
There may not be enough engagement there, I had to TIG weld a little extra on mine once.

waksupi
05-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Try the other suggestions first, if they all fail try a different grip safety.
There may not be enough engagement there, I had to TIG weld a little extra on mine once.

Or, you can use a small ball peen hammer and an anvil, to stretch the nose of the safe engagement a few thousandths.