PDA

View Full Version : Teflon grease...

Bad Karma
07-18-2008, 12:50 AM
:idea:I saw where some are using lithium grease in their lubes. What about Teflon grease for marine bearings?

Boerrancher
07-18-2008, 06:55 AM
This is my personal opinion, so take it for what it is worth. I don't want any type of Teflon oil/grease anywhere near my bore on any of my rifles. I remember years ago when Rem Oil with Teflon first came out. I used it on my 243 Win, which consistently shot five shot groups at 100 yds you could cover with a cigarette butt. After a good cleaning the week before I took my 243 to the range and the first shot was wild. I knew it wasn't me, so I fired again and it was just as far out but in the other direction. Three more shots later I had a 10+ inch group. It took another 5 shots for the rifle to settle down and go back to shooting like it did the week before.

I cleaned it that week with G96 and the following week had no issues. I decided to go back to the Rem Oil and shot all over the map again. So it is no Teflon for me any more except on the outside of the gun. Had the same experience with my 300 Win Mag. and Rem oil with Teflon. You can try Teflon grease if you wish, but it is not something I would do, based on my personal experience with Teflon.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

timkelley
07-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Joe, what are your feelings about Breakfree? If I am not mistook, there is teflon in it too.

The Army taught it to me.

runfiverun
07-18-2008, 09:57 AM
for greasing stuff break free is okay, but i ain't putting teflon any where there is heat
and pressure.
that is me though. for boolitlube just about anything slippery will work-up to a point.

jhalcott
07-18-2008, 07:31 PM
I had a similar problem with a 22-250. as long as I didn't remove ALL the MOLY in the bore it was OK. A REALLY clean bore would shoot 3-4" groups for a few shots.

Boerrancher
07-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Joe, what are your feelings about Breakfree? If I am not mistook, there is teflon in it too.

The Army taught it to me.

Tim,

The Army tried to teach it to me as well, but always being somewhat of a rebel, it never quite stuck, as I knew there were things better. I was forced to use it when I was an enlisted soldier, but once I became an NCO, and then an Officer, I kept my own cleaning kit, and cleaned out a couple of small bottles of Breakfree and put commercial lube and bore solvent in each. Even in Afghanistan I refused to use Breakfree, as in the Desert it would turn a weapon into a giant dust bunny.

When I first arrived I hosed all the lube off with a can of Birchwood Casey's Gun scrubber that I got from some of the guys of 2-5 Inf, of the 25th ID. It wasn't Birchwood Casey's by name but it did the same thing, and they had cases of it. I then used a carpenters pencil on all the moving parts of my rifle and pistol. I can say that the graphite worked well in the heat and dust. I put many rounds down range out of my A-2 and never had a malfunction. Wish I could say the same thing about the Barretta 9mm. I gave it to my unit clerk because no matter what I tried I couldn't keep it functioning in the dust and dirt.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

felix
07-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Joe, what you became fond of is tri-chloro-methane (or ethane, which is nostril safer, but still not safe). Molykote spray (Dow 321 equivalent), trichloro with moly, is what you should have been issued. However, just upon inspection, Dow changed the fluid to Stoddard Solvent. When this took place is unknown. Stoddard solvent is not near as toxic as the chloro's, but also does not do nearly as good as evaporating like right now. ... felix

Typecaster
07-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I look for old spray cans of cleaner/degreaser at yard sales, etc. that contain 1-1-1 trichlor. I'm pretty certain it's on the "bad" list as a carcinogen, but it sure works to clean stuff. When I was a glassblower (laser tubes, etc.) we had it in 5-gal. containers and wold just pour some into a beaker, then dump in what we wanted to clean.

Some spray film cleaners used to have it as the active ingredient...back in the '80s.

Richard

felix
07-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Yep, EPA is just about everywhere now. I would be surprised if the gun scrubber was not attacked soon. Perhaps they already have. Yes, I have 4 one gallon cans of the stuff from the 80's. It seems Dow (Corning) was the major producer of the tri-chloro's during that period. ... felix