PDA

View Full Version : Why not use cast in a Mini-14?

Lee W
11-10-2005, 09:48 AM
I have gone with the flow about using cast in a blow back design, but now I am wondering why not? If cleaning is the concern then I have no problem with that.
If there are other concerns that people have ran into please let me know.

Ed Barrett
11-10-2005, 10:06 AM
The Mini 14 is gas operated with a system similar to a Garand and the M14. some gas operated rifles and pistols have difficulties getting to the piston and cylinder to clean them of lead. If you can get to the gas system to clean it there isn't a problem shooting cast.
I shot cast in a garand for years with no problems.

felix
11-10-2005, 10:07 AM
I really think that it depends on where the gas line is placed into the barrel. If it cuts through a land, then the resulting sharp edge(s) will really grab a boolit and/or lube. The only way to find out for sure if the gun will shoot for a whole entire outing is to just go out and do it. Altering the lead and/or lube composition might or might not help the longevity for accuracy/functioning. In other words, don't give up trying various combos. ... felix

mag_01
11-11-2005, 11:15 PM
:lovebooli I have had good luck with cast boolits in an S K S with the right load ( 160gr boolit and 4198 ) cycles well and have not seen a lead problem.

MarkinNWArk
11-12-2005, 04:50 PM
If memory serves, the old Lyman loading manual frowns on using cast bullets in the AR and similar small caliber gas operated rifles. Claimed the gas piston would plug up. It did list several cast loads though.

Had a friend..... errrrr acquaintance (moron, actually) who ran several hundred gas check reloaded .223 through his Mini 14 and gummed it up good. He practically gave the rifle away, thinking it was ruined. The person that bought it cleaned it up and kept it, but he had a heck of a time driving the gas piston out of the piston cylinder.

So, there you go. The old timers said (or hinted) TROUBLE AHEAD! Those who don't heed or learn their history (Old Lyman Manual is probably history) are doomed to repeat it's mistakes. - - -- - -Mark "Angel Eyes"

45 2.1
11-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Like most problems with cast in any gun, it comes from not knowing what your doing. Use the proper alloy and water drop from the mold with LBT blue and medium to slow burning powders gives no problems in most any semi around.

DOUBLEJK
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
My son used ta use Lymans #225415 in my Mini14 fer DCM matches...
sized .225 n lubed with Orange Magic it didn't foul the gas port er piston very bad...needed cleaned after every match er practice tho...not that hard ta do..
10 shot groups ran bout 2-1/2" to 3" at 100...

Lee W
11-12-2005, 10:33 PM
I just got back from shooting 14 cast rounds. I wanted to keep the round count low to begin with. I took the gun apart and found nothing that would make me stop shooting cast in it.
I will load up 100 for testing tomorrow and see what that does. [smilie=f:

waksupi
11-13-2005, 12:23 AM
It was suggested to me a couple years ago with the Garand, to give the gas cylinder a coating (inside) of Ed's Red, and any fouling that shows up, wipes right out.

budman46
05-20-2006, 02:21 PM
lee w

about 20 years ago i shot thousands of lyman's #225415 ahead of 18.5 grains of rx-7 out of my mini-14. cleaning the gas system was occasional at best and i never had a problem. i still shoot the gun, but now use jacketed bullets because i can afford them!

budman

Larry Gibson
05-22-2006, 12:14 PM
lee w

about 20 years ago i shot thousands of lyman's #225415 ahead of 18.5 grains of rx-7 out of my mini-14. cleaning the gas system was occasional at best and i never had a problem. i still shoot the gun, but now use jacketed bullets because i can afford them!

budman

Likewise 20+ years ago shot lots of 225415s through older 1-10" twist Mini-14 and 1-12" twist AR15. I used 18 gr H4895 and never had a leading problem in either. Velocity was around 1900 fps and actions functioned nicely. Cleaning after shooting is normal for me so it wasn't any problem.

BTW; I believe not using cast bullets in gas guns to be a myth. It is based on C.E. Harris' small report in the AR and reprinted in the NRA cast bullet book. His opinion was based on ONE experience with ONE M1 Garand. I believe he did have 500 round or so through the rifle before he experienced any leading problems of the gas system. I actually thought that was pretty good, 500 rounds without cleaning, but most took it as a condemnation of using cast bullets in gas guns. I fired over 500 rounds of 311299 through an M1 I had with no leading to see if the myth promulgated by Harris' small article was right, it wasn't.

I have fired thousands of cast bullets through several M1 Carbines (an M2 or two also). I have also fired cast through Remington 742s, Win M100s, SKS/AKs, FN49 and M14/M1As. I even ran a belt of 50 through an M60 MG for S&Gs and 20 rounds through a M1917A1 BAR. I've only had leading of the gas system with one; an M1 Carbine with a chipped gas port that cut through the side of the rifling. But then as I said; I clean regularly after shooting.

Not using cast bullets in gas guns is another great myth of the shooting world.

Larry Gibson