PDA

View Full Version : Too many presses! Some thoughts needed

anothernewb
05-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Sorry for the long winded post.
Recently picked up a screaming deal on a XL650. Which brings my press total to 3.

Rock Chucker (IV?) an SDB with more die sets than I care to think about, and the new 650.

I have 5 feet of space to work with on my reloading bench. I considered the inline fabrication plates but there's really not a whole lot of storage space left to store a spare press either.

So brings me to the question. Generally against my personal grain to sell off things gun related. but It's getting a little cluttered on the bench. Can't shake the feeling something's gotta go.

My press usage:
I don't really load a whole lot of rifle. just not really a rifle shooter. Only have a 223 and a 308 at this time. Although something in the 6mm class looks really interesting for a lighter recoil paper puncher for longer distances. but I do load lots and lots of pistol. I shoot probably 2-3k per year of 45, and about half that of 9 and 38. with a bit of 357 during the summer months.

My method of thinking is I can use the dies between the 650 and the RCBS so that cuts down on duplicates a little. But the darn SDB has been such a reliable solid workhorse that I'm loathe to just ditch it. One should always have a single stage - right? Then again, having multiple progressive loaders set up is nice too. especially one with small primer and the other with large...Gah.

Would like to hear some other decisions/logic.
Anyone out there trade in their SDB for a 650? would you do it again?

flyingmonkey35
05-12-2017, 10:34 AM
keep them all an get a bigger bench.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bullet maker 57
05-12-2017, 10:38 AM
I find all three presses you mentioned invaluable. I wouldn't part with any of them.

anothernewb
05-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Bigger bench is on the wish list. It'll come when I get the bigger house. like so many others - the space is what it is It's the one constant I can't currently change.

flyingmonkey35
05-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Bigger bench is on the wish list. It'll come when I get the bigger house. like so many others - the space is what it is It's the one constant I can't currently change.
well i hang my extra presses on the wall when not in use. there are a few really good systems to switch out presses.

flyingmonkey35
05-12-2017, 10:53 AM
patmarilns. makes a good ☝

FWest
05-12-2017, 11:37 AM
I have a small area and too many presses as well. I mounted my LnL Ap permanently and use the ROC DOC from Patmarlin for 550, CoAx, RC , Lee CC turret, Lyman 450 and a trimmer. They all have a use and can't seem to part with any of them. I claimed a book shelf and made some mounts to hold the presses not on the bench.

Also, I once sold a Lee turret and made it about a year before I had to buy another. If you use and enjoy all of your gear I would keep it.

Epd230
05-12-2017, 12:12 PM
If you were happy before the 650 came around, sell the 650 and be done.

However, if a bigger house is in your future, then store the 650 until then.

jmort
05-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Inline Ultra Mount with the Quick Change plates
Problem solved

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Like the OP, I have more presses than bench.
All have been mounted and used at one time or another.
Besides what I'm using now, I have sold a few and kept a few.
The one's I've sold would be easy to replace...or in the case of one that sold super cheap, cuz I just didn't like it.
The few that I am not using and have not sold, would be too difficult to replace, so I just put away into storage.
Good Luck.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I did sell a RF Wells single stage press, that I now regret selling. If I ever stumble onto another one, I'll likely buy it...but I don't have a need for it?

Kevin Rohrer
05-12-2017, 01:05 PM
You need more bench, not less presses.

mozeppa
05-12-2017, 01:21 PM
i have a 7' bench and have 5 presses on it....2 xl650's 2 rock chuckers and a lyman t-mag.

gwpercle
05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
The illogical thing is only having 3 reloading presses and wanting to sell one!
I have 5 and use every one. Get more reloading bench....that's the only correct answer to this
dilemma !

Johnny_V
05-12-2017, 02:48 PM
I have limited space in my loading room, so I made a quick change system for my 4 presses. When not in use, I use a filler plate on the bench for an even surface. Here's a video of my quick change system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS4WATF_P8E&t=2s).

1bluehorse
05-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Think I would sell the SDB. If you have regular dies for all the calibers you load for the 650 will handle all the pistol loading you would ever need. And, dies are cheap anyway. That's the reason that press comes with "replaceable" die plates. Guys that buy another press just because they're to lazy to change over to a different caliber or primer size, or have several powder measures because they don't want to have to dial in a different powder charge is ridiculous. That said, I do own 4 progressive metallic presses, 3 progressive and one SS shotshell presses, and two SS presses, so I fit right in with that group. Even though I have plenty of room for all these presses, I am honestly trying to "downsize" to just one metallic progressive press (RCBS Pro 2000) and one shot shell press that does both 12 and 20 gauge (Ponsness Warren 375C) . I'm keeping both SS presses though. [smilie=b:

Green Frog
05-12-2017, 09:19 PM
What is this "too many presses" concept of which you speak? I have four or five set up on semi-permanent basis, another couple/three that can be swung into place and clamped down pretty quickly and a few more as backup or for special duty. You don't have too many presses, you have too little room allocated. I just "need" a couple more, or maybe six or maybe...

Froggie

David2011
05-12-2017, 11:12 PM
I got rid of my SDB and constantly regret it even though I still have a 550, 650, RC II, Summit and a Jr. 2. The SDB was always ready to load .45ACP. I would store one or develop a rack for easy swapping.

jetinteriorguy
05-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Wow Johnny V, that is a seriously impressive setup. Kudos to you.

John Guedry
05-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Isn't that like having too much fun???

richmanpoorman
05-13-2017, 04:28 PM
My solution is a 7 position Redding turret. Spare turrets are easily swapped out (don't lose the ball bearing !) My only progressive is an RCBS Grand 12 gauge. (do have 12 powder measures though)

dverna
05-13-2017, 04:52 PM
I would feel deprived if I only had three presses.

I like what Johnny did and there are commercial set ups that do the same thing.

deadeye ruck
05-23-2017, 09:44 AM
I have two Redding T7 presses that I use primarily but I also have a couple of other presses that I use for odds and ends. It all depends on what kind of volume you are doing but if it were me, I would look into some type of fabricated plate mounting system to swap them quickly. There are some very nice setups if you look around that folks have put together.

I agree though, a bigger bench!

DonMountain
05-23-2017, 12:43 PM
I am hoping that some day all of the press manufacturers standardize on one mounting bolt pattern so we can swap all of our presses out with the same 2, 3 or 4 bolts. But of course that doesn't help with the collection of antique presses so many of us have. There was a hint to this pattern in single stage and progressive shotshell presses I have both from the 1960's that Pacific made. And I use both of them since they are so easy to swap. But none of my brass cartridge reloading presses will swap on the same bolt holes. So I tend to leave two of them mounted on the bench. Unfortunately too close together without bumping into them when I am using the next one over. 10" apart is too close. I like that slide in plate one of our members displayed earlier. Very well made and gives me some ideas. but I would have to completely rebuild my reloading bench to make that happen.

toallmy
05-23-2017, 01:04 PM
:grin: I put 5 shot shell loaders in a upstairs closest , when my wife mentioned I have to much reloading stuff I mentioned all her clothes in the extra bedroom closet . So now it's ok . I say keep them all if possible

pjames32
05-23-2017, 08:05 PM
I mount all of my presses and lube/sizers on a 1" oak plate and have a spot drilled on my bench top to bolt down the oak plate. Quick to change and didn't cost me much. Unused presses are on a shelf with a c clamp to hold them down. YMMV

Boolit_Head
05-23-2017, 08:27 PM
What heresy is this, we need to burn anothernewb at the steak for mentioning the mere possibility of having to many presses. Sheish they make more wood build bigger benches! What if my wife reads this nonsense! :Fire:

Let's see I'll admit to owning
Versamec 700 in 12 ga
Mec 600 jr in 20 gause
Mec 600 jr in 28 gauge
Lee Pro 1000
Lee Breech Lock Challenger
Lee Reloader

Don't look at the boxes in the garage as there may be another...

jmorris
05-24-2017, 08:01 AM
You can sell anyone you want, if your like me, it might be a few days before you need it and wish you hadn't.

I too had a limited amount of room after out last move so I built a bench to fit what I had and drilled and tapped the top. So I have what I can already mounted and others below. When I need a press that's not already mounted it's 2, 3 or 4 bolts out with a cordless impact and back in to change from one to another.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/IMAG1210.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1256.jpg

brass410
05-24-2017, 08:52 AM
my only suggestion is probably a little inconvienient but you could send it to me ( I got lots of room on the bench) and drop by to use the spare have a coffee swap, fishin tales, load a few rounds have a road trip to boot and it wouldn't be a bad thing. Just an idea

Mgvande
05-26-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm press deprived. I only have 2. I'm pathetic.

Boolit_Head
05-26-2017, 08:28 PM
There is time... :)

quickshot
07-10-2017, 10:17 PM
I have 4. LCT,LCC single,Lee precision reloader, and a loadmaster. I just retired the loadmaster because I just don't need the volume anymore so into the foot locker it goes. The little, beat to hell and back precision reloader single was my very first single stage press. Can't bring myself to get rid of it so.... its in the foot locker with the loadmaster. I haven't really been using the LCC single even after putting the LNL bushing conversion on it. Tried to sell it once with 20 bushings and no one bit so I think it might go into the foot locker as well. Which leaves me with the LCT. You can pry that press from my cold dead hands. I love that thing. I might even consider moving all my rifle stuff to it and retire the LCC single. I sold 1 lee turret press YEARS ago and have regretted it ever since. I guess that is why I can't bring myself to get rid of any of my old presses even though I don't use them anymore. There is always that possibility that one day I MIGHT bolt it down to the bench and use it for something.

daboone
07-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Earlier this year I downsized when as a result of retirement and the necessary belt tightening I sold my place and move into a more appropriate and economical sized home. As a result I had to downsize from 5 benches and 5 bench mounted presses to 3 benches and just kept the CO-AX and the 550. (One of the benches was just for gun cleaning,maintenance and smithing/building projects. It was a difficult decision as each press had it merit and the project bench could not be sacrificed as I was and still am putting together an 1803 Harpers Ferry flintlock Pecatoncia River kit. The reason behind the presses I kept was easy for me and they are the best presses I'd ever use in 50 years of reloading. The loss of one of the other SS press was off set by getting the singlestage adapter for the 550. That was necessary because push thru sizers are limited by the CO-AX design. Do I miss the now gone presses? Yep but I have a workable habitat and now forces me to keep it clean and organized.

After all the decisions to downsize I somehow I just last week found space for a MEC Sizemaster.:roll:

Jack Stanley
07-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Getting rid of the press isn't the answer and storing a press is only part of the answer . Get enough empty cases so you can have a three or four year supply of ammo for what you shoot . I've found it much easier to store ammo cans in small areas and have presses not being used clamped to a shelf somewhere .

Jack

Soundguy
07-11-2017, 10:13 AM

Agreed.

I started with a single Lee C press, added a hand press for range trips. added a rcbs rock chucker for rifle / tall / hard to size cases, added another lee C press as a dedicated decap station, added a lee 4 hole turret to speed up pistol reloading, added another lee C press for dedicated cast boolit sizing, added an old lyman turret because it came with a rifle I bought at a show. :)

Keep adding more bench space. All the desks in my reload room have a press on them almost. :)

gwpercle
07-12-2017, 05:29 PM
If you have a bench space problem Pat Marlin's RockDock might be of help, he's a member.
Or my old school solution is some big "C" clamps...I mount the press , use it and remove it .
Gary

Grmps
07-12-2017, 06:24 PM
You could get a free standing platform for the SDB