PDA

View Full Version : Which bullet puller?

Tackleberry41
05-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Have gotten along fine w the inertia puller for a long time, obviously not made to do a whole bunch of them at once. Mine has seen better days, how long can plastic hold up to being smacked against concrete that many times.

Press mount there is RCBS, Hornady, and Forster. The Hornady cam system looks easier/faster. Is one better than the other?

JBinMN
05-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Recently there was a topic about this offering many suggestions. You may have to search for it, but I'd bet it will help ya out.

Personally I have had no luck with a FA blue "hammer" puller. Instead of buying another puller, I went out and got a 3/8 drive 7/8 SAE deep well socket, placed it over the ram on the press with the appropriate shellholder (.357) & round in the holder, brought it up & used a reg. pliers to remove the boolit as I pulled the ram down with the lever. I also tried it with a Diag. Pliers( dikes < sl.) and although the dikes butchered the boolit & the reg. pliers did not so much; it was a cost effective & simple method to remove the boollits/bullets. Maybe try that instead of buying one? Saved all of the components instead of everything falling out of the cartridge. Only the recast-able boolit had any type of damage & I bet if I was more careful it would likely be reusable in a pinch too. I then simply fixed the issue & using the same components added another boolit & went on...
:)

Maybe try that instead of buying one?

G'luck with whatever ya decide!
:)

Taterhead
05-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Of the three that you mention, I have the RCBS collet puller with a number of collets. I can recommend it without reservation. The only issue that I've had is a 35 cal collet that did not fully spring back open after a few uses so it would not accept .358" bullets. 9mm was ok, but a wee bit tight for 38 cal. Of course a note to RCBS and they sent a replacement without hesitation.

Just be mindful that the cost can add up quickly if you have numerous caliber to outfit. Also note that not all bullet profiles are suitable. The collets have a hard time gaining purchase on some handgun bullets. For those, if I want to preserve the powder, I'll give a few raps with the kinetic hammer to expose some bullet shank. Then finish the job with the collet puller.

Overall, the experience using a collet puller is far better.

EDITED TO ADD: I recommend not smacking the kinetic hammer on concrete. An end grain of hardwood is best. I think your instructions probably mention that too.

Soundguy
05-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Have gotten along fine w the inertia puller for a long time, obviously not made to do a whole bunch of them at once. Mine has seen better days, how long can plastic hold up to being smacked against concrete that many times.

Press mount there is RCBS, Hornady, and Forster. The Hornady cam system looks easier/faster. Is one better than the other?

For what it's worth, I've been using a green rcbs inertial hammer puller for years, but I smack mine against a 6x6 chunk of timber that is in my reloading room.

I recently picked up a hornady cam lock puller to pull a bunch of 762x54r that i was given. I may even get to it tonight and give it a test. If no work pops up to block my time, I'll post back with results.

country gent
05-10-2017, 02:15 PM
I have several of the forester super fast pullets These are very fast and accurate to use press mounted there is no real set up or adjustment to them screw into press and install shell holder in ram. The insert shell and raise to where the mouth just touches the collar and lower ram pulling bullet. The next round ejects this bullet ( and this down force tends to help break the bond on the round ) and repeat the steps above pushing up thru to case mouth touching then pull bullet. I bought 1 and made a few more using cold roll for the body and ring. .060 thick hard steel banding for the collet. They work fast and easy. If the bore in the collet is cut right and polished there is very little marking on the pulled bullets.

Johnny_V
05-10-2017, 02:17 PM
I like to use the RCBS kinetic puller for most of my pulling, but have used the Forster collet puller for over 40 years and it has NEVER failed me.

A little hint when using any kinetic puller, instead of using the 3 piece shoe for grabbing the case rim, use the appropriate shell holder for the case. This saves a ton of time if pulling a lot of bullets.

M-Tecs
05-10-2017, 02:40 PM
My favorite is the Forster Superfast (Possum Type) Bullet Puller. It is no longer made but you can still find them on ebay. Used them to pull tens for thousand of 55.6/7.62 for making Mexican match.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS4&_nkw=Forster+Superfast+%28Possum+Type%29+Bullet+Pu ller&_sacat=0

Soundguy
05-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Just had some time to set down and pull some 762x54r

Definitely like that hornady cam lock puller. No marks on the projectiles, 5-7 rounds a minute easy. Got to get more collets!

Reddirt62
05-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Maybe someday as is I still whack the floor....of course I have had to do a few repairs but still ok.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170510/9b10e220cadd62ae8d7125ec101b6003.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Soundguy
05-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Ps, I initially tried the collet puller on a lee c press, and switched to my rcbs rock chucker for more leverage/ longer handle.

Kraschenbirn
05-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Like most of the responders, I've got both. Haven't had a lot of success pulling boolits with the RCBS collet puller but it's always been satisfactory on JBs. For boolits, it's the good ol' RCBS hammer and the dedicated chunk of white oak cordwood I keep on top the garage tool cabinet. If neither of those work, then it's the Rockchucker and a pair of fence pliers, tossing the pulled projectiles into the 'remelt' can.

Bill

ikarus1
05-10-2017, 05:57 PM
I have both types, Hornady cam and FA inertia. I use the FA more than anything else

David2011
05-10-2017, 09:45 PM
A little hint when using any kinetic puller, instead of using the 3 piece shoe for grabbing the case rim, use the appropriate shell holder for the case. This saves a ton of time if pulling a lot of bullets.

This is a truly great tip. Someone showed it to me a few years ago and it works great!

Maybe someday as is I still whack the floor....of course I have had to do a few repairs but still ok.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170510/9b10e220cadd62ae8d7125ec101b6003.jpg

I hope you wear eye and face protection when you use that. They survive by being flexible and yours now has 4 hard stress points trying to cause it to explode on every impact. They hold up much better when used against end grain wood.

Yeah, that concrete thing is a problem as already mentioned. I have a portable post for that purpose. Mine is an RCBS and the nut broke while using it a few years ago. A call to RCBS and they sent a new nut and a collet. No charge. I have the RCBS press mounted puller. It doesn't work with most cast pistol boolits but is a wonderful tool on rifle j-words. I don't think I have ever left a mark on a bullet with it. Like all of my regularly used single stage dies and tools it's in a Lock-n-Load adapter for a fast change. I have 30 or more dies and tools in the Hornady adapters and bushings in all of my presses that will accept them. Worth every penny to me.

Reddirt62
05-10-2017, 09:59 PM
It's all good.

Tom W.
05-10-2017, 10:22 PM
I had a FA that shattered in short order. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. That was a lot of years ago. I put an earplug into the hammer so the bullet noses won't get deformed. I have a dedicated end grain piece of wood I use. I also have safety glasses and ear muffs on. That rap is sharp!

DocSavage
05-10-2017, 10:33 PM
I've 2 kinetic pullers and use a piece of 4x4 fence post to bang on and off the top of my head had only 2 bullets that I couldn't get to move. Had both for 20 + years.

John Boy
05-10-2017, 10:49 PM
I ave the Hornaday cam lock and it crunches a lead bullet and will no remove it. Kinetic puller no issues

jimkim
05-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Duplicate please delete

jimkim
05-11-2017, 12:21 AM
I use needle nose pliers or a multitool. This is with jacketed bullets only. If I'm pulling them in an aluminium press I use a Lee rifle FCD body to protect the threads. First I bump the bullet with a seater to break the neck tension. Then I raise the ram and lightly squeeze the bullet with the pliers. Then I lower the ram, and the pliers engage the hole and self tighten on the bullet and the case pulls free. If it leaves a mark at all it is usually very light. It only squeezes as hard as is necessary to pull the bullet.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170511/c84ea673bc2c5f3834a24abe7d9f32a0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170511/9ae62d1249ab684a2786dd615a32d7de.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170511/1b2cabc82e016eb71f8829d843cf1009.jpg

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Tackleberry41
05-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Cant complain about the hammer, its the second I bought in the last 30 yrs. First one the rubber rings holding the inserts came apart, so bought another one. It still works, was just considering a press type. The hornady looks a little cheaper as the collets seem to fit a wider range of bullets.

David2011
05-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Tackleberry,

I'm a fan and user of the RCBS so take that into consideration against my comments. I consider the increased number of collets available from RCBS to be a positive thing as it makes getting a good match between the bullet and collet. From a design point there are two weaknesses in the Hornady, a company I usually hold in high regard. The cam handle has had a history of breakage which I suspect could be helped by polishing any manufacturing marks on the cam surfaces and applying a little grease, much as with the Lee hand priming tool. The other is with the design of the collets which have a much more complex shape than the RCBS. The more complex shape results in springiness in larger calibers and even breaking in the .45 caliber collets.

RCBS collets have straight, constant thickness walls and operate like an R-8 or MT5 collet which are solid steel with parallel inside and outside walls. I can't imaging one of them flexing outside of their normal operating design or breaking. The Hornady is easily more convenient to use with the camming lever as opposed to the RCBS screw type tightening handle. I've been using a hammer type puller since the '80s and the RCBS for over 10 years. I far prefer the RCBS over the inertia hammer (also RCBS) but it is not useful for most handgun bullets, jacketed or cast because it needs a straight sidewall to grasp.

IMO the design and durablilty of the RCBS will serve longer and more reliably than the Hornady or I would have purchased the Hornady because the cam lock is appealing.

Just this week I had to pull the bullets out of over 30 .22-250 rounds because the Sharpie markings on the cases did not match any of my reloading notes and used the RCBS puller. It was effortless. There was no doubt which powder was in the cartridges; just the amount. It turned out all of the cartridges had the same powder charge. I had previously run a ladder test with the same brass and later neck sized rather than full length sized the brass so it also did not go through the polisher to remove the old markings. Between the collet puller and an RCBS Chargemaster it was a pretty fast and easy job to verify the loads.

I've rambled enough so will bail for now.
David

slim1836
05-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Read The packaging of collet type pullers carefully, some state that they are not to be used with lead bullets.

Slim

Soundguy
05-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Tackleberry,

I'm a fan and user of the RCBS so take that into consideration against my comments. I consider the increased number of collets available from RCBS to be a positive thing as it makes getting a good match between the bullet and collet. From a design point there are two weaknesses in the Hornady, a company I usually hold in high regard. The cam handle has had a history of breakage which I suspect could be helped by polishing any manufacturing marks on the cam surfaces and applying a little grease, much as with the Lee hand priming tool. The other is with the design of the collets which have a much more complex shape than the RCBS. The more complex shape results in springiness in larger calibers and even breaking in the .45 caliber collets.

RCBS collets have straight, constant thickness walls and operate like an R-8 or MT5 collet which are solid steel with parallel inside and outside walls. I can't imaging one of them flexing outside of their normal operating design or breaking. The Hornady is easily more convenient to use with the camming lever as opposed to the RCBS screw type tightening handle. I've been using a hammer type puller since the '80s and the RCBS for over 10 years. I far prefer the RCBS over the inertia hammer (also RCBS) but it is not useful for most handgun bullets, jacketed or cast because it needs a straight sidewall to grasp.

IMO the design and durablilty of the RCBS will serve longer and more reliably than the Hornady or I would have purchased the Hornady because the cam lock is appealing.

Just this week I had to pull the bullets out of over 30 .22-250 rounds because the Sharpie markings on the cases did not match any of my reloading notes and used the RCBS puller. It was effortless. There was no doubt which powder was in the cartridges; just the amount. It turned out all of the cartridges had the same powder charge. I had previously run a ladder test with the same brass and later neck sized rather than full length sized the brass so it also did not go through the polisher to remove the old markings. Between the collet puller and an RCBS Chargemaster it was a pretty fast and easy job to verify the loads.

David

I think hornady heard you, I just bought mine days ago, and the handle polish and finish is good, and smooth camming action.

Soundguy
05-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Tackleberry,

David

I think hornady heard you, I just bought mine days ago, and the handle polish and finish is good, and smooth camming action.

greenwart
05-11-2017, 05:03 PM
I was given around 2000 rounds of overloaded 10mm. In pulling those rounds I went though 3 RCBS kinetic pullers. RCBS was very good about replacing them, but it was an *** pain, sending them back. I have come across a franklin and rcbs kinetic puller with aluminum shafts which have held up well since. I am not going through hundreds of rounds though. If you are just popping out 10-20 mistakes they all work quite well. I also used a collet puller and it was very effective, but the truncated cone bullets left very little cylindrical surface to get a purchase on and one size does not fit all .

Bob

Tackleberry41
05-11-2017, 05:15 PM
I noticed they sell a replacement cam for the hornady on midway, so they must know its an issue. I didn't see any of the pullers that say for use with lead. Which could be an issue as thats mostly what I have needed to pull. Just not loading alot of jacketed. Its just a PIA to do 100 rounds with a hammer.

I noticed the cheaper frankford arsenal hammer came with 3 collets. I have had issues with the 2 collet set up with a few calibers.

David2011
05-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Don't worry about the collets; just use a standard shell holder.

I understand the pain; I had to whack-a-mole 300 .40 S&W loads a few years ago. I have almost 100 .357s right now that a now deceased friend loaded that I need to disassemble. Not looking forward to it but since the boolits will probably be damaged I may use the press and dykes method and just recycle the boolits.

David

Soundguy
05-11-2017, 06:39 PM
I noticed they sell a replacement cam for the hornady on midway, so they must know its an issue. I didn't see any of the pullers that say for use with lead. Which could be an issue as thats mostly what I have needed to pull. Just not loading alot of jacketed. Its just a PIA to do 100 rounds with a hammer.

I noticed the cheaper frankford arsenal hammer came with 3 collets. I have had issues with the 2 collet set up with a few calibers.

I agree, may not be ideal on cast. I got my camlock puller for jacketed milsurp pull down.

I think for cast.... Its the hammer, if you are saving the projectile for reuse without re casting.

SARuger
05-12-2017, 07:29 AM
I used a FA kinetic puller for years, and I admit, My popeye forearms haven't killed it yet on my concrete floor. Being a mechanic, swinging a hammer is a daily thing.

I recently saw the RCBS collet puller on sale at Midway for $8.99, there was only 1 and it was a blemished product. I took a chance and at the same time I ordered all of the collets I would need.

The RCBS is the way to go! I use mine in my old Pacific "C" since its a "handle down-ram down" configured press. It seems to work well for pulling bullets.

Its a chore that rarely needs done but its nice to have the right tool to do it when needed

petroid
05-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Though I don't have one I've heard good things about the grip n pull. Seems very simple, cost effective, and versatile

deepwater
05-12-2017, 11:00 AM
RCBS Collet Puller.
Easier to salvage both bullet and powder.

daboone
05-12-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Quinetics twist chucks. They sure improve and speed up any whack a mole.

David2011
05-12-2017, 11:56 PM
Dang! Went to pull that old ammo down that I mentioned in a previous post and the handle of my 1991 model RCBS inertia puller snapped off at the bottom of the I beam part. PITA to have to ship it back but they'll replace it at no additional charge. I finished the job by taping a length of PVC pipe to the shank with Gorilla duct tape! Yes, Gorilla really is that much stronger than other brands. Almost all 45 of the nickel .357 cases split in multiple places around the necks when the boolits came out. They had probably been loaded for 35 years.

jetinteriorguy
05-13-2017, 08:25 AM
I've been using my Hornady bullet puller for a couple of years and have pulled well over a thousand bullets, don't ask why, with pretty good results. If I had one complaint it would be that I can't get it to grip good enough on HiTec coated bullets to pull them. They are just so slippery it simply can't get a good enough grip. But with Copper coated or jacketed it's great. Fortunately for me so far my inertia puller is fine with as few of the HiTec coated bullets that I've needed to pull.

high standard 40
05-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Dang! Went to pull that old ammo down that I mentioned in a previous post and the handle of my 1991 model RCBS inertia puller snapped off at the bottom of the I beam part. PITA to have to ship it back but they'll replace it at no additional charge. I finished the job by taping a length of PVC pipe to the shank with Gorilla duct tape! Yes, Gorilla really is that much stronger than other brands. Almost all 45 of the nickel .357 cases split in multiple places around the necks when the boolits came out. They had probably been loaded for 35 years.

A little thread drift, but about those split cases. Were they by chance Winchester? I've had that happen a few times and it was always Winchester brass. I've had Winchester factory loaded ammo that was never fired develop splits.

David2011
05-13-2017, 05:52 PM
High Standard 40,

I have trouble posting without drifting or causing drift. Yeppers, all of the brass was headstamped Winchester or Super-X.

high standard 40
05-14-2017, 07:37 AM
High Standard 40,

I have trouble posting without drifting or causing drift. Yeppers, all of the brass was headstamped Winchester or Super-X.

Perhaps a little premature to state so, but I believe I am seeing a trend here. I've even seen Winchester ammo for sale on a gun shop shelf with split brass. I've had Winchester brass split in the shoulder area on the first firing. You could say that I'm not a big fan.

1bluehorse
05-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Though I don't have one I've heard good things about the grip n pull. Seems very simple, cost effective, and versatile

I have a couple of these. Like many other pullers it would seem, they don't do well on cast bullets. At least I haven't had good luck pulling cast with them, but perhaps I'm not doing something right as I haven't really used them all that much. They work great with jacketed (or plated) and are quite fast and easy to use.

high standard 40
05-14-2017, 04:26 PM
So, to contribute to the purpose of this thread after my previous tread drift, I use an RCBS collet type puller. The only reason I chose this one is because I was able to buy the puller and a full set of collets at half price at a "store closeout" sale. Like others have stated, it does not do well with cast bullets. With lead bullets having much, if any, ogive on which to clamp, the collet will simply slip. The only cast bullets I have successfully pulled have been bore rider types and they were damaged so as to be unusable. I later purchased an inertia type puller, Frankford Arsenal, and it works for me with cast bullets. Thankfully, I've not had to pull all that many with either. Knowing that I usually ruin a cast bullet to pull it, I usually just use my loading press and some diagonal cutting pliers to grip with, then throw the projectile back in the casting furnace.