PDA

View Full Version : Case trimming and case trimmer questions

Strtspdlx
05-10-2017, 12:13 PM
I'm currently setup to trim 223 brass with a Lee quick trim die and cutter. That's all I've ever used and it holds to about .002-.004 which I think is mainly related to the stops on my cheap Lee c style press. Anyhow I'm getting into 45-70, 10mm and 40s&w which are all straight walled cases and really shouldn't need much trimming. With looming over trimmer and comparing between Lyman,Forster, and possibly rcbs I could get into a stand alone trimmer for between $70 and about $150. Or since I have the Lee quick trim already I can order the seperate dies for each caliber for an average of $9.50. I think a new single stage press with solid stops would help the oal variation and I do plan to buy a new press at some point this year I just haven't decided what press id really want.
May questions are if you would buy the stand alone case trimmer what would you buy for the least amount spent. I really like the Forster but for me to trim 45-70,10mm I have to buy seperate pilots and possibly collets if I read the chart correctly. I also like the Lyman but I do not like how it uses shell holders. I think it has too much "slop" in the shell holder to hold it tightly and give accurate cuts. However I've never used one. I like the Lee setup because the weight of the case holds it against the shell holder and for my 223 die it puts light pressure on the case when setup correctly. But the Lee trimmer doesn't have much ability to adjust depth of cut. If I remember correctly it only does about .015 but I may be wrong. I'm trying to do this as I expensively as possible because my funds are really starting to take a hit this year. This is meant to be a brainstorming thread verse being a this is the best so just buy it. I would appreciate it if you could possibly give me pros and cons so I could see if im missing anything.

Johnny_V
05-10-2017, 02:22 PM
My personal choice for speed, accuracy, and reliability is the Forster Power Trimmer (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-trimming/replacement-cutters/power-case-trimmer-for-drill-press-collets-pilots-not-inc-sku749006609-36956-63528.aspx). Once set up on the drill press, you can zip through 1000 cases in no time flat. I wouldn't think of any other.

country gent
05-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Also look at the Wilson case trimmers. I have a redding that I do 45-70, 40-65, 45-90, and 38-55 on that does a great job. I also have the drill press mounted forrester I use for large batches. Most will have a step collet that holds most cases. ones that may be left out are the "odd balls" rims .22 hornet, 43 Spanish, rims over 45-70 sizes. Pilots are caliber specific so if it doesn't come with the trimmer it is probably available seperatly. Also like a lot of case prep pilots can be dependandt on sized or unsized cases.

Johnny_V
05-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Also like a lot of case prep pilots can be dependandt on sized or unsized cases.

To achieve true case dimensions, trimming should only be performed after sizing.

gwpercle
05-10-2017, 05:11 PM
To achieve true case dimensions, trimming should only be performed after sizing.\
I keep seeing that , but my first edition Hornady loading manual (1967) instructions clearly stated to "trim then size the case" , I tried sizing first and the case neck would not fit over the mandrel of my Pacific Case Trimmer ....you couldn't size then trim if you wanted to. I went back to trimming first then sizing. The newest Hornady manual 9 th Edition still have the very same instructions.....trim then size.
My advice is to do it whichever way works for you with your trimmer. Don't get hung up on sizing first as a must have to do it way.
Gary

Johnny_V
05-10-2017, 06:20 PM
At the risk of getting into a pissing contest about which came first, the chicken or the egg, let me just explain why I trim after sizing - this is my way and by no means the only way.

Do an experiment and see for yourself (my method).

Measure your once fired case before any of the following (once fired .223's show about .002" over trim length):

Deprime with a universal deprime die

Tumble case in Stainless steel media for 3 hours (NEVER put a dirty case into any die, other than a dedicated deprime die)

Lube and size

Now check your case length (once fired .223's have an average growth in length of .008").

This has been my findings over the years, hence trim after sizing (all bottleneck calibers). Never had a problem using this method, so why change.

sawinredneck
05-10-2017, 06:50 PM
I looked at them all over a year ago, loved the Redding (I'm a Redding junky) but couldn't even afford a used one! Their universal collet is slick! Hornady and RCBS were out because I'd have to buy new shell holders, all RCBS dies and shell holders here. Forester was just to fidley and too much **** to buy making it very cost prohibitive to me. I kept coming back to the Lyman universal, https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/795961/lyman-universal-case-trimmer-kit-with-9-pilots?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Lyman-_-795961&gclid=CPCcn6my5tMCFd24wAodSiEF0g then I was at Cabela's one day, had some extra cash and it was on sale! Done! Comes with most of the pilots I'll ever need, forces you to deprime/resize because it locates off the primer hole, decent to set up, accurate and quick to use. No extra **** laying around, I drilled another hole in the base to store the Allen wrench and mounted it to a 1x6". If I want I can add a carbide cutter and power to it if I choose, and it didn't break the bank.

EDG
05-10-2017, 08:20 PM
I have a lot of case trimmers accumulated though years of buying components and presses with other items thrown in.

I have used the Hornady, Forster, Wilson trimmers and the old Lee piloted trimmers.

My choice by a mile is the Forster. I have 5 of them from like new to well used. I bought one new in 1975 and I have used it heavily for more than 45 years.

With the 4 collets and the pilots I can trim anything except huge rounds like the .577 Snider or .600 Nitro Express.
I paid $25 for the new one in 1975. The most I have paid for a used one since has also been $25 or less.

The Forster can also be powered with a drill or electric screw driver. You can also get an attachment to turn case necks.

The Forster will hold plus or minus .001 on the case lengths if you have a good touch. You can usually find them used for $25 to $35 and some times that includes a few collets and pilots.
All it takes to get a good deal is some patience.

I have also used the Wilson a good bit. I have 4 of them and though they are pretty good they require the steel case holders that are expensive and are not very flexible. There is not a case holder made for every cartridge so you have to find another method for those rounds.

ioon44
05-11-2017, 08:20 AM
I have used several case trimmers over the years and found the L.E.Wilson to be the most accurate. I always trim after sizing.

Johnny_V
05-11-2017, 08:24 AM
I have used several case trimmers over the years and found the L.E.Wilson to be the most accurate. I always trim after sizing.

I like the Wilson, but don't like the cartridge holders, but as stated, very accurate.

MUSTANG
05-11-2017, 10:23 AM
I have and have used several different case trimmers since the 1970's.

I now use the WFT (Worlds Finest Trimmer) worlds-finest-trimmer-wft (https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/worlds-finest-trimmer-wft/?v=7516fd43adaa) for almost all of my .223/5.56; .308/7.62, and 30-06 case trimming. If we have have many hundreds/thousands to trim I'll chuck it into the Drill Press and trim that way. If I have 10 to 50 to trim, I'll chuck it into a hand held battery powered drill and trim that way. Requires Sizing First since the trimmer indexes on the shoulder. I also notice that as factory set, all three calibers trim slightly more (shorter than spec) than factory spec brass length. Could possibly adjust them; but seems to work well even if a couple .001's short on necks.

For calibers other than .223, .308, .30-06 I mainly use either a Lyman or Lee Case Length Gauge and Shellholder Trimmer set up.
http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/case-trimming-tools/case-length-gauge-holder/ (http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/case-trimming-tools/case-length-gauge-holder/)
Just depends on what the case is and what seems to be best choice at the moment. A note of caution for users of the Lee Case Length Gauge and Shellholder Trimmer: I have replaced the Shellholder portion of the Lee Trimmer several times over the last 40 years because the small pin that goes through the flash hole will slowly erode/drill and indention into the shell holder causing the length of the cases to become shorter over time. Takes many thousands of rounds being trimmed for this to occur; but it does happen over time similar to the stone or concrete steps of old buildings being eroded by pedestrians walking across them over the years.

For 50 BMG I use either a dedicated Lyman trimmer where I am striving for match accuracy (along with the whole regimen of primer pocket cleaning, flash hole demurring,...) 50-bmg-accutrimmer.html (https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/case-trimmers-accessories/50-bmg-accutrimmer.html) . For cases that are for the Kids, Grand Kids, others to "Shoot The Big Gun" with I use a Lee Trimmer because it's quick, easy and fairly accurate
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/184378/lee-case-length-gauge-and-shellholder-50-bmg?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Lee-_-184378&gclid=CPiR9c2E6NMCFQQJaQodG5IPag.

Engineer1911
05-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Another heretic!

I trim fired bottle-neck rifle brass [.223, 308, or 30-05] to minimum case length -0.010" with a Lyman case trimmer powered by an 3/8" electric drill. I removed the original crank and had the shank turned down to 5/16" diameter.

By the time the case needs trimming again, the case neck is usually cracked and gets tossed. I believe that for 95% of the reloaders, this technique will give acceptable accuracy results. I have paper targets with great groups and thousands of dead prairie dogs to prove my efforts are correct.

I don't need perfection, but don't disparage those who think they do need every round to be perfect and identical. Reloading just facilitates another day at the range.