PDA

View Full Version : Limbsaver barrel de-resonator

Silverboolit
05-10-2017, 01:05 AM
My buddy has a pencil barrel Mossberg ATR in .308. It is a light weight fluted barrel and just doesn't shoot very well and warms quickly. He ran across an article on YouTube about barrel harmonics and the de-resonator from Limbsaver and asked me if it sounded like it would work. Told him to order one and try it out.

Well, last weekend, we took it to the range and shot some groups without it and some with it installed. We shot 3, 5shot groups before installation and got an average of 2.25" at 100 yds. Pretty typical for his reloads. We then shot 3, 5 shot groups with the de-resonator on and after some adjustment, got an average group of .95". To say the least, he is pretty pumped!

Any one else tried this device, or have any experience with it or a similar product??

primersp
05-10-2017, 02:17 AM
i have try one few years ago on an ruger 257 ,i see no change

izzyjoe
05-23-2017, 07:29 PM
I have a 6.5x55 feather weight that would not group for beans, after installation, it shoots better groups now, but I need to work with it some more.

tazman
05-23-2017, 10:28 PM
I got one on a used rifle I purchased. I couldn't get it to shoot any better with it on there than without. Not certain if it would work on a different gun or not. Haven't tried it since.

54bore
05-24-2017, 05:55 AM
I tried one as well, My rifle was already shooting a true 1" group at 100 yards before (what more was I expecting huh?) I didn't notice any difference with or without it, my groups got no better, or worse. If the barrel is free floated you are suppose to install farther down the barrel (an inch or so from forend) and if its not free floated you keep it a couple inches from the muzzle if I remember correctly? They are obviously designed to slide for tuning. Again I didn't notice a difference so i removed it

deadeye ruck
05-25-2017, 02:34 PM
My personal view is that LS are great for archery. The recoil pads work. The barrel "deresonator" is a gimick

aspangler
05-25-2017, 02:48 PM
The easy way to set one is to put the rifle in a cleaning vise. Take the handle of a screw driver and peck the barrel. Start at the stock and work your way out to the muzzle. The tone will change as you get close to the resonant node. When it says "THUNK!" and nor "TING" that is the place to put the deresonator. They really do work. I have one on my Weatherby .223 bolt gun that dropped my group size from 1 1/2 down to 5/8 at 100 yards. This is a trick that a lot of the custom gunsmiths use to "tune" the barrel on competition .22 rimfire guns.