PDA

View Full Version : So get your colonoscopy

DCP
05-09-2017, 11:58 AM
I had Surgery march 28th for Stage 1 colon cancer. I have a hole in my stomach. It was as big as a tennis ball. Now its a little smaller than a shot glass. and 3/4 of a inch deep.

They removed 24 inchs of colon 36 limp-nodes

So get your colonoscopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some good news. For some reason I now like green peppers. Go figure

TexasGrunt
05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
I get mine every three years. Every time they remove a couple of polyps.

Josh Smith
05-09-2017, 12:26 PM
I get to start mine next year, so sayeth my doctor.

I've never been put under once in my 39 years, and for some reason that's one of the very few things that terrifies me. Loss of control is the basis for that I'd imagine.

Regards,

Josh

Preacher Jim
05-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Great advice, also a psa save your life

merlin101
05-09-2017, 12:29 PM

I've never been put under once in my 39 years, and for some reason that's one of the very few things that terrifies me. Loss of control is the basis for that I'd imagine.

Regards,

Josh
Don't worry about it, it will be the best but shortest sleep you've ever had.

Reddirt62
05-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Going under is no biggy, shoot last time for me was yesterday to remove screws from my fused ankle. Just like going to sleep. [emoji1] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/43e5d782395d2552387ea3ce54bff885.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

opos
05-09-2017, 12:40 PM
I have had a PSA test/exam every year and had a colonoscopy with "clean" report and a schedule for the next one at 10 years later..when I went to schedule the one last y ear (the 10 year test) and a PSA my GP informed me that under the annual wellness review (Obama care off shoot) that anyone over 75 could not have either test (he showed me the "book" with that listed...reason.."you will die with it rather than from it"...My Mother lived to be 97 and I hope to equal that....I can't legally even pay for my own with any doctor that receives payments from medicare or medicaid...talk about "death panels"?? this is what we found out "after we passed the bill and finally read it"...if you are older...good luck

Tom W.
05-09-2017, 12:42 PM
I had my second colon surgery, this time for stage three colon cancer. I have a chronic case of the screaming <language censor violation> now, with little help for that in sight. It kinda cuts into my shooting and fishing severely. I'm going for my second round of chemo next week. It ain't fun. Do what the doctor suggests, he probably knows what he's talking about. Cancer sucks.

Omega
05-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Been under plenty of times, never an issue. Got my first colonoscopy not too long ago and it was not as bad as everyone made it out to be. They removed a polyp but it was benign, I have to take fiber daily due to some condition they found though, but all in all it was a good outcome.

koehn,jim
05-09-2017, 12:54 PM
I m lucky I have had 3 colonoscopys and all were fine, no polyps.

woody290
05-09-2017, 01:01 PM
I've had several, take one every 5 years due to family history. Never went completely under - just REALLY loopy! Can't remember much but can watch the screen the Doc uses. No big problem, next one in August. Get PSA every year during annual.

smoked turkey
05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Not getting a PSA test is putting your head in the sand and ignoring the facts. The facts are that cancer in the prostate is a silent cancer that in some men is very very aggressive. It is common for the cancer to leave the "shell" of the prostate similar to the roots of a tree. It can easily and usually finds a lymph node where it can travel all over the body. My surgeon who has done over 3000 prostate removal surgeries told me that every man if he lives long enough will have some prostate cancer. Many times it is so slow growing that most men will die of some other cause before it is severe enough to bring on death. Why risk it? I am not sure, but I believe mine was slow growing, but I elected to have it removed from my body. I am coming up on one year after the surgery (May 25) and I am very glad I had it done. I urge all older men to have an annual PSA test for obvious reasons.

higgins
05-09-2017, 03:05 PM
I'm not due for a couple of years yet, but for the last two I had done drinking that gallon of laxative was worse than the exam itself (since my results were OK). I've heard there's a different laxative regimen available now; I hope so.

TexasGrunt
05-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I started having my PSA checked at 44. That's when my dad died of metastatic prostate cancer. Baseline PSA was 2. Rock solid till January 2012. Came back at a 6. I knew as soon as I heard that that I too had PC.

That rapid of an increase can indicate an aggressive PC. Mine was outside the prostate, but not into the lymph system. The 14th of this month will be four years since surgery. I also had 35 radiation treatments. Every PSA since has been <0.01. I'm starting to think we got that sucker.

Geezer in NH
05-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Had my third a year ago at 64. The first two had polyps, clear this time and Dr. said next one will be now 9 years away.

They keep you going youngsters don't put it off.

Hickory
05-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Had upper and lower a month ago.

farmerjim
05-09-2017, 04:33 PM
First one no polyps. Second 7 years later 6 polyps. Third 3 years later 2 polyps. Next one will be in 2 more years. It takes me 10 hours to drink all that prep. I know they have a smaller one, but you have to drink water to the same amount of liquid.

Goatwhiskers
05-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Sorta good news. Get your doc to give you "Suda-Prep.". It comes in a box with 2 small bottles of med and a measuring cup. Pour 1 bottle in the cup and fill with water to the line, drink. At the appointed time repeat. Don't worry, it has the expected result only you don't have to drink all that fluid. GW

toallmy
05-09-2017, 05:10 PM
I had my first scope this November past ,it came up stage 3 at the age of 50 , with my family history I should have started at 40 , get checked .

oneofsix
05-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Me as well, diagnosed Thanksgiving week, surgery the 2nd week of December. 12 inches of colon including the tumor, 3 nodes nearby lot up out of 19.
In chemo now, sort of- I got ready for cycle 5 of 8 and my platelets are too low, so in a 2 week break. Gonna try again on the 23rd.

Get the scope done, I was bleeding for several months before I had mine done. Don't wait like me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

DCP
05-09-2017, 06:55 PM
They removed 24 inchs of colon 36 lymph nodes
All 36 lymph nodes were clear

I dont have to have Chemo Thank God

lightman
05-09-2017, 09:30 PM
I'm starting to think we got that sucker.[/QUOTE]

I hope so Brother. I hope so.

My Mom had colon cancer when I was a Senior in High School so that put me on the list to have a colonoscopy earlier than normal. I have had several. They found polyps twice, pre-cancerous, that they removed. It ain't fun, but its not that bad. I make them schedule mine early and my Wife and I go out for breakfast afterwards.

SciFiJim
05-09-2017, 10:30 PM
I had my first colonoscopy last summer. I used the Suda-Prep that Goatwiskers mentioned. The prep worked fine. My doctor said I was clean as a whistle. No polyps. Wish mine colonoscopy had been as painless as everyone else's. About midway through, I had a pain like someone shoving a knife in just under my diaphragm. They had to give me an extra dose of loopy juice to get me through the procedure.

Even with the extra pain, it was good to know there are no problems. I will get it done again 10 years after the first one.

MaryB
05-09-2017, 10:55 PM
My doc is switching to just doing a test for blood in fecal matter. The colonoscopy just about did me in 5 years ago, I was sick for a month after trying to get my digestive system back to normal. Not repeating that!

Parson
05-09-2017, 11:01 PM
I have had a PSA test/exam every year and had a colonoscopy with "clean" report and a schedule for the next one at 10 years later..when I went to schedule the one last y ear (the 10 year test) and a PSA my GP informed me that under the annual wellness review (Obama care off shoot) that anyone over 75 could not have either test (he showed me the "book" with that listed...reason.."you will die with it rather than from it"...My Mother lived to be 97 and I hope to equal that....I can't legally even pay for my own with any doctor that receives payments from medicare or medicaid...talk about "death panels"?? this is what we found out "after we passed the bill and finally read it"...if you are older...good luck

just had my fourth one last week. Mentioned that my general practioner told me that at 75 this would be my last one. Was told by those doing it that that's not 100% true, with a history of polyps and now Diverticulitis if I ever have any symptoms, if the Dr says I need it, I get it. Am sure the rules will change by then

clum553946
05-10-2017, 05:25 AM
They usually just make you out to lunch with demerol or something similar. I've done it without anesthesia and it's not that bad.

Regards,

Josh

TexasGrunt
05-10-2017, 08:41 AM
I've got a good fishing buddy that had his first scope at 50. Stage 3 rectal cancer. He survived and is fine now. He had no symptoms.

While the prep isn't fun a colonoscopy can save your life.

buckwheatpaul
05-10-2017, 08:50 AM
DCP speaks the truth....it is very important procedure especially if your family has a history of it....I am at the age that short of symptoms I dont have to undergo the procedure till I hit 70. DCP thanks for making this post!

dmdracer
05-10-2017, 09:32 AM
I also had stage 3 colon cancer found by a colonoscopy, removed 25% of colon and did the chemo thingy.

I also encourage the colonoscopy, can save your "butt" ! yeah... pun intended ;)

John Andretti has stage 4 colon cancer and some in his liver, local tv has a special about Johns cancer and promoting everyone getting the procedure because this type of cancer can be prevented with early detection.

DCP
05-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Colonoscopy can save your life!

I was do for my colonoscopy in 2015. I put it off because of my wife's Breast Cancer

So have the special girl in your life get there Mammogram

Mammogram can save your life

DCP
05-10-2017, 10:22 AM
colonoscopy can save your life

I was do for my colonoscopy in 2015. I put it off because of my wife's Breast Cancer

So have the special girl in your life get their Mammogram

Mammogram can save your life

blackthorn
05-10-2017, 10:39 AM
+1 on the mammograms! Gail just had her 6 year checkup after a bout with breast cancer (found early when tested) and she is still cancer free. I had the fecal matter test done last year and all was well. It pays to be careful and the peace of mind is priceless.

Beagle333
05-10-2017, 10:43 AM
I get one every 5 years. 'Also get a PSA and a digital exam at the same time. They clip a couple of polyps every time, but nothing to worry about. But I'm not skipping any of them. Early detection of anything is vital to fighting it.

toallmy
05-10-2017, 03:58 PM
I had the fecal test and blood work done prior to the colonoscopy and the test came back negative , but because of pain in my intestines I perused the problem and thank God I did . 5 treatments down and 7 more to go Lord willing it will work out ok .

Blackwater
05-10-2017, 04:46 PM
So far (knock on wood!) mine have been fine. Had one polyp on last one, not long ago. First sign, but .... I'll be getting them regularly from here on out. And yeah, this isn't a pleasant subject, but one that CAN and DOES save lives, if only folks will hear it! And the mammograms are good advice, too. Lost my SIL to breast cancer a few years ago. I don't think she'd ever had a mammogram in her life. Just didn't like the idea, I think. Paying for that with your life is NOT a good tradeoff!

My docs put me to sleep for the colonoscopy, but I still feel "cheap and used" afterward. Thank goodness I'm tough enough to deal with that! The hardest part for me was the prep. They've consistently given me "Golightly" and that stuff needs to be studied by the astrophysists to better understand what the "irresistible force" is like!

But I'm healthy, at least in that respect, and grateful we have things like this. It really hasn't been all that long ago that colon cancer and breast cancer were pretty conclusive death sentences! I can be stubborn, but not THAT stubborn! I can be fearful, willful, and untrusting of docs, but .... not THAT much! I'm really grateful we have many things available now that not too long ago, would have taken many of our lives here. Thank God for all this!

It sure doesn't take long for us to take this and much, much more for granted, rather than appreciating it for its true value!

Taylor
05-10-2017, 05:01 PM
yep,colonoscopies are fun,fun fun.Especially like drinking the gallon of "go juice" the night before.But I get one each year or so.

Tom W.
05-10-2017, 09:46 PM
It gives a whole new meaning to the term "Up yours!" :groner:

facetious
05-11-2017, 03:47 AM
My sister had colon cancer in her late 40's early 50's. Gave her some kind of radiation and got rid of it but it came back in her late 50's and had some more radiation and got rid of it just to get liver cancer and that was the one that got her. She was 62.

Tell that to your Dr.

Thy tested on me for six months and never found any thing. Been scoped a few times and thy say every thing is perfect.

Rick N Bama
05-11-2017, 06:47 PM
I get mine every three years. Every time they remove a couple of polyps.Same here, every three years and I'm due next month.

yep,colonoscopies are fun,fun fun.Especially like drinking the gallon of "go juice" the night before.But I get one each year or so.

You need to talk with your Dr. about the prep. There are better and much easier ways.

woodbutcher
05-11-2017, 09:43 PM
:D Had one several years ago.All was well.About time to see about another one.Also,don`t forget,MEN can get breast cancer too.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

6bg6ga
05-11-2017, 09:55 PM
If you got to see the size of those clamps they use to keep the old pooper open so they can insert whatever they want to you would feel violated too. They could drive a corn cob up your butt once the clamp is opened up. Not a pretty sight. My Dr. doesn't believe in them.

Jackpine
05-11-2017, 10:37 PM
The prep for this procedure brings a whole new meaning to "shooting the DELETED!"

(sorry folks, but have been down this road numerous times, and I just could not resist)

facetious
05-12-2017, 04:59 AM
The first time I got scoped thy put me under.,well every time, but any way when I came too the wife and nurses were laughing at me. I don't remember, I was told that I asked for a bottle of the go juice to go. when asked why I told them I had a fiend who was chaperoning the prom and was going to give it to her to spike the punch with.

May be at hart I am a deviant. [smilie=1:

Echo
05-12-2017, 01:52 PM
I had Surgery march 28th for Stage 1 colon cancer. I have a hole in my stomach. It was as big as a tennis ball. Now its a little smaller than a shot glass. and 3/4 of a inch deep.

They removed 24 inchs of colon 36 limp-nodes

So get your colonoscopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some good news. For some reason I now like green peppers. Go figure

My daughter delayed having one too long - passed away from metastatic colo-rectal cancer 6/10/2012. Cried harder at her death than I have ever cried before - or since.

DCP
05-12-2017, 03:22 PM
My daughter delayed having one too long - passed away from metastatic colo-rectal cancer 6/10/2012. Cried harder at her death than I have ever cried before - or since.

Hard road to walk.Prayers sent.

9w1911
05-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Last time I was put under, took me 14 days to recover.

9w1911
05-12-2017, 03:43 PM
I am 43 everyone, and never had one done before, but I was going to do so soon. Had a friend pass not too much older than I, he waited too long and ignored some symptoms. When is the age to get this checked out?

I do have the worst hemorrhoids so I already have to eat a ton of fiber, hopefully these will be fixed soon.

DCP
05-12-2017, 03:58 PM
I am 43 everyone, and never had one done before, but I was going to do so soon. Had a friend pass not too much older than I, he waited too long and ignored some symptoms. When is the age to get this checked out?

I do have the worst hemorrhoids so I already have to eat a ton of fiber, hopefully these will be fixed soon.

50 yrs old
unless there is history in your family
Talk to your DR

9w1911
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
50 yrs old
unless there is history in your family
Talk to your DR

No history in the fam. thanks

Sur-shot
05-12-2017, 04:34 PM
I guess the process effects people different, mine was a snap, except for the IV, I am usually real hard to stick. They had to go get the gas passer to stick me, after 3 nurses tried a dozen times and failed, he listened, feel, leave the finger, move finger tip and stick. But it was just a go to sleep, wake up and go get clothes on. All clear. I have a tough family history of cancer and lupus, so we shall see how many years we have, great grandfather died of cancer at 36, grand father at 72, mother at 72, father at 72, brother at 56 all cancer, and I am 71, 3 sisters have lupus, every day on the green side, is a real gift to me. It is not exactly like waiting for Christmas morning.
Ed

Blackwater
05-12-2017, 06:39 PM
I'm just supremely glad they put me to sleep for it! I'm don't usually react badly to many things, but .... we all have our limits!

Brokenbear
05-12-2017, 09:53 PM
I'm 70 now but had my first scope job at 55 and several non cancer pollups removed ...second one was clear and third one colon clear BUT the Doc found a spot on the way into the colon he did not like ...tested positive ...surgery like coring an apple was performed ...lymph nodes biopsied ...radiation therapy daily for a few months ....my yearly check ups clear and my 5th and final one last month all clear .....There is zero reason to let colon cancer get you ...you make the decision now if you have not already!

Bear

Plate plinker
05-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Yep the prep sucks the rest is easy. Not looking forward to the next one because the prep made me puke up blood. Next time I will demand an alternative prep.

MaryB
05-12-2017, 10:59 PM
No history of it in my family at all, grandparents lived to 98,96, 94, 45(hung as a horse thief...), mom is 82, dad died at 70 from an enlarged heart no cancer...

silverjay
05-12-2017, 11:35 PM
No family history for me, got first scope at 43. They found a very large polyp that was benign when they tested it. Both the doc and the lab called me to make sure all my family members and kids start getting scoped at 30. The told me there was ZERO doubt I would have had colon cancer within a few years. Su-prep is much better Than the gallon of stuff.

Tom W.
05-12-2017, 11:57 PM
?What

Y'all don't like the Go Lytely? I never could do the whole gallon. When it came up faster than it went down that was it for me. Then the nurse told me I could mix some Crystal Lite with it as long as it was lemonade or something not red, blue or purple. That made it somewhat better, but still couldn't do the whole gallon.

Elkins45
05-14-2017, 05:02 PM
I had my first one two years ago. Thankfully the whole thing was a total non-event. I didn't get the Go Lightly, my doctor told me to take 16 doses of Miralax. 8 doses 15 minutes apart the night before and the other 8 the same way a few hours before the procedure. I did a little internet research before starting and discovered a little advice that I was very grateful for: give the whole anal area a coat of Vaseline before you start the prep. It kept me from getting raw, which was by biggest worry about the prep. I didn't worry about all the going but I did worry about the aftermath.

For the actual procedure I just went to sleep and then I woke up. It was like a really good power nap with no side effects at all. I asked the nurse what then used and she said propofol. I joked that now Michael Jackson and I now have exactly one thing in common. :)

Nothing but good news: no polyps and the next one is not for 10 years. It was one of the best medical experiences I have ever had.