PDA

View Full Version : Quigley Down Under

Naphtali
05-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Watched "Quigley Down Under" last night. Closing credits called out that the (in fact three) Sharps Quigley used was created by Shiloh Manufacturing in Big Timber, Montana. Does anyone have information pertaining to why producers chose to use Shiloh Sharps reproduction rifles rather than C. Sharps Sharps (also in Big Timber) reproduction rifles?

Originally, C. Sharps - first in Farmingdale, New York, then in Big Timber, exclusively marketed Shiloh rifles as C. Sharps. The arrangement ended late 1980s or early 1990s, after the move to Big Timber. Then both businesses manufactured Sharps 1874 reproduction rifles - Shilohs being machined from AISI 8620 investment castings, C. Sharps being machined from AISI 8620 bar stock.

shaner
05-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Low bid maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Bookworm
05-09-2017, 11:44 AM
It's always about money.

smokeywolf
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM
It's always about money.

Most of the time that would be right. But, movie industry is frequently more about "how soon can we have them?"

Walkingwolf
05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Movie industry also gets some of their props for advertising. IOW free, or sometimes even the prop maker pays the studio to have their prop seen on screen. Considering the business that Shiloh Sharps received, I doubt they received any payment for the rifles.

OS OK
05-09-2017, 01:20 PM
7:47Tom Selleck's "Quigley Down Under" Rifle7 months agoyoutube.com (https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo.Am.hFZiwQAPfj7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZW c0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ--?p=Iraqveteran8888%2C+sharps+shiloh%2C+quigley&vid=621261cc697182d465251f0d0cf708f2&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOV P.vGCo_UJJCb9b-wnm7T-C9QEsCo%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D168%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%2 6rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DA 7tneYzIFQw&tit=Tom+Selleck%26%2339%3Bs+%26quot%3BQuigley+Down +Under%26quot%3B+Rifle&c=0&h=168&w=300&l=467&sigr=11bmns9vh&sigt=11mk62svl&sigi=12rupnc61&age=1474124131&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=aaplw&tt=b)

country gent
05-09-2017, 02:16 PM
From what I have read 2 of the rifles were shootable and complete rifles in the 12 -13 lb range. The 3rd was a non firing aluminum mock up identical to the others for use in the "Fight" scenes as it could be moved around easier and faster than the heavier ones. I also think Tom Selleck "apprenticed" with Mike Venturino on use and shooting it properly. I would bet Shiloh bid them for the advertising and recognition involved.

smoked turkey
05-09-2017, 02:42 PM
I can't speak with 100% certainty that it is true, but the Quigley rifle in this thread is on display at Bass Pro Shop's NRA firearm museum in Springfield, MO. I have looked the rifle over as much as anyone can when it is under glass, but it seems to be authentic with paper work to back it up. I will check the S.N. when I get back there to verify it (for my own inquisitiveness). A little while before the last election Wayne LaPierre, Chris Cox, and few other big shots from NRA were there stumping for the re-election of our Senator Roy Blunt who was also there. I spoke to them about us shooting the rifle but they didn't have enough clout to make it happen. :). The rifle is a beauty. I imagine Shiloh has more than made their money back on the rifle even if they donated it for the movie. I didn't buy the Quigley rifle due to the cost, but I did buy a C. Sharps 1874 Hartford with heavy barrel. That is as close as I could get to it. I am happy with C. Sharps.

LUBEDUDE
05-09-2017, 05:47 PM
From what I have read 2 of the rifles were shootable and complete rifles in the 12 -13 lb range. The 3rd was a non firing aluminum mock up identical to the others for use in the "Fight" scenes as it could be moved around easier and faster than the heavier ones. I also think Tom Selleck "apprenticed" with Mike Venturino on use and shooting it properly. I would bet Shiloh bid them for the advertising and recognition involved.

This was my understanding as well.

Blackwater
05-10-2017, 05:13 PM
C. Sharps at one time got fairly widely panned for some of their business dealings. Don't have a clue if that was a problem, and never had the benefit of finding out (sure have lusted for one of those guns!) if the allegations were real or not. And the "wait" thing may have been a problem, too. At one time, the waiting list was 3 yrs. or more, and I don't see a movie company waiting that long on their props. No telling why folks do things, ever, and this is just one instance, really.

Naphtali
05-10-2017, 08:23 PM
While your information may be correct, it is certainly 20-some-odd years out of date. A friend has half-a-dozen C. Sharps rifles - 1874s, High Walls, and Hepburns. Quality is superb, and Mr. Schaffstall (SP???) is a pleasant man. The difference between the two makers' finished products is pretty much the name on the barrel. How wood and metal get to that finished product - by CNC machining bar stock or CNC machining investment castings - is irrelevant. I own no C. Sharps rifles, not because Shilohs are better. C. Sharps makes only cartridge rifles. Shiloh makes the 1863 Sharps. Well, they do and they don't. The cap locks have not been discontinued. Production is temporarily halted. The last temporary halt lasted five years. Fortunately, I have several. The thing to remember is these are small shops. I've wandered around the shops of both (they're about a block apart, on opposite sides of the street). My belief is their common production bottleneck is fitting and checkering the wood. The last time I visited Shiloh about four years ago, I saw one man only doing wood work.
C. Sharps at one time got fairly widely panned for some of their business dealings. Don't have a clue if that was a problem, and never had the benefit of finding out (sure have lusted for one of those guns!) if the allegations were real or not. And the "wait" thing may have been a problem, too. At one time, the waiting list was 3 yrs. or more, and I don't see a movie company waiting that long on their props. No telling why folks do things, ever, and this is just one instance, really.

Bent Ramrod
05-10-2017, 09:54 PM
I recall that back when the movie was made, C. Sharps Arms was the marketing affiliate for the Shiloh Sharps rifle. This arrangement was formed soon after Shiloh moved from Farmingdale NY to Big Timber MT. If you wanted to buy a Shiloh Sharps, you had to get it from C. Sharps Arms.

It was in the early- to mid-90's that Shiloh and C. Sharps Arms had their falling out, whereupon C. Sharps Arms moved to a new location about 150 yards away from the Shiloh manufactory, and set up their own manufacturing operation. Shiloh, in turn, started selling their rifles directly.

So there were no C. Sharps Arms marked rifles that could be bought for the movie because they weren't making them yet.

The legal wrangle that the separation entailed gave Shiloh custody of the tradename "Shiloh Sharps" while C. Sharps Arms got sole rights to stamp "Old Reliable" on their barrels.

Naphtali
05-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Bent Ramrod: I believe you are correct. Your recollection overlaps mine, plus it accounts for Shiloh being the chosen manufacturer.

Larry Gibson
05-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Got to fondle the #3 Quigley Sharps..........

Larry Gibson

smoked turkey
05-12-2017, 12:07 AM
Wahoo! Nice. I couldn't quite reach it through the glass. :)
Larry I assume that is you holding the Sharps. Who is that with you?

Piedmont
05-12-2017, 07:26 AM
OK. Time for the real answer. C. Sharps didn't even have an 1874 in production when the movie was made so how could they have provided the rifles?

Larry Gibson
05-12-2017, 11:47 AM
That's Phil Schrier. He's the senior curator for the NRA Museums. You've probably seen him on the tv gun shows talking about various vintage firearms.

Larry Gibson

marlinman93
05-13-2017, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear they not only donated the guns, but might have even paid money to the production company to use their guns. It's not uncommon for companies to supply products and pay the film company to display their products.

OlDeuce
05-13-2017, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear they not only donated the guns, but might have even paid money to the production company to use their guns. It's not uncommon for companies to supply products and pay the film company to display their products.

Hi Gents.............What ever & How ever Shiloh Did the dealing to get the contract to manufacture the 3 rifles for the Movie ...It was well done!! To
Date Tom stays in touch with the Family! Shiloh has in fact supplied rifles to at least two other Movies that Tom Stared in ...... Toms 45-110 #8886
Great People at Shiloh Sharps .............Ol Deuce

marlinman93
05-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Whatever the deal was, it was great foresight on Shiloh's part too! The movie drove Shiloh rifle sales through the roof! I doubt since Jimmy Stewart did Winchester '73 that any movie had such a loyal following of one particular gun! Or that any movie revolved around one particular gun as much as those two movies did! Everyone wanted to be Quigley, and own a Sharps '74 like he owned!

country gent
05-14-2017, 02:40 PM
I'm not so sure of that Marlinman93. Watch gun shops after Dirty Harry movies play in the area, Smith 29 sales go thru the roof. Same with Charles Bronsons death wish with His friend "Wildey".

mold maker
05-14-2017, 03:22 PM
I more envy his supposed eyesight for the shots he made. Of course, the gun would be a prize to hold as well.

marlinman93
05-14-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm not so sure of that Marlinman93. Watch gun shops after Dirty Harry movies play in the area, Smith 29 sales go thru the roof. Same with Charles Bronsons death wish with His friend "Wildey".

Yes, the S&W 29 did get very popular after the Dirty Harry movie. But the Wildey was never a big seller, as the cost and production issues always kept it from becoming successful in sales. The total production has been so small it could never be considered as popular as others that were/are available. If there was much demand, they'd be selling a bunch more and increase production!

John Taylor
05-15-2017, 12:11 AM
Many people who bought a model 29 before the movie took it back because of the recoil. After the movie there were very few returned for that reason. And it did become very popular. I never owned a Shilow or C sharps but I did have a sile for a few years and it shot OK